Page 39 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I fully expect to see something close to, "The sun did go supernova, but the the media is trying to cover it up! It's proof that the SJWs run everything! Soy! Now donate to my Paetron..."
    That actually pretty close to the truth, at least in regards to being the usual structure of their arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    There is no culture war. There's just a tiny, irrelevant amount of people bickering in an echo chamber. The only issue is that they're made to look relevant by the media. RT has chosen not to be part of it, which is the smart move.
    Yeah, as the X-Men movies put it: "I wouldn’t call it a war necessarily. That suggests that both sides have an equal chance of winning." The one thing that has been proven time and time again is that these trolls (under whatever name they're calling themselves) do not have the numbers to "win." How many of them were predicting Captain Marvel would suffer at the box office for the feminism and Brie Larson and how did that pan out?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That actually pretty close to the truth, at least in regards to being the usual structure of their arguments.

Yeah, as the X-Men movies put it: "I wouldn’t call it a war necessarily. That suggests that both sides have an equal chance of winning." The one thing that has been proven time and time again is that these trolls (under whatever name they're calling themselves) do not have the numbers to "win." How many of them were predicting Captain Marvel would suffer at the box office for the feminism and Brie Larson and how did that pan out?
    One is already in my feed claimed that some theaters were half empty but "the media" won't report it!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    There is no culture war. There's just a tiny, irrelevant amount of people bickering in an echo chamber. The only issue is that they're made to look relevant by the media. RT has chosen not to be part of it, which is the smart move.
    The only reason that the anti-SJW crowd gets any kind of coverage at all is because we're just so conditioned to taking the opinions of white men seriously. If the troll campaign had been orchestrated by the Black Hebrew Israelites, claiming that Captain Marvel is corrupting young black girls to look up to white she-devils like her rather than strong black role models, then we would never even hear about it because we're so used to ignoring them, but when it's a bunch of white guys throwing a similar hissy fit somehow we feel obliged to hear out and debate the validity of their concerns, even though the smart thing to do is to just not waste our time on that.

The internet is distortive.

It's funny; we've gone full circle, from the internet not representing reality, to the internet reflecting and affecting some form of new reality, back to the internet not reflecting reality. It's that middle part where the world started taking it too seriously where everything went to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Giving a max score to a film is a form of review manipulation. We know from other review sites that the two highest scores for Captain Marvel are 1 and 10, the lowest and highest scores. This is done to have the max effect on the total aggregate score. Yeah, you aren't going to get the morons giving 1 stars using Fandango, but the same people that are inclined to score a 10 already are going to run wild on a site only they can vote on.

There is too much emotional energy surrounding both sides at the current moment to get a clear assessment of the 'public' view of this movie. The people who spent a month protecting this film are not going to provide an honest assessment of it.
    But hasn't that part always been typical of fan reviews? The only criteria is they personally liked it or didn't like it and that equals a one or a ten in their minds or either a half star or four stars (or five depending on what the system is)?
    Power with Girl is better.

One is already in my feed claimed that some theaters were half empty but "the media" won't report it!
    Hey the one where I saw it was mostly empty- for a showing at 11:15 on Friday morning but let's not mention the details.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Hey the one where I saw it was mostly empty- for a showing at 11:15 on Friday morning but let's not mention the details.
    I'm sure some theaters were half empty... that's how it works. But I was in the rundown theater in town that usually draws the arthouse crowd and I saw it in a full theater, despite it playing on three screens there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Giving a max score to a film is a form of review manipulation. We know from other review sites that the two highest scores for Captain Marvel are 1 and 10, the lowest and highest scores. This is done to have the max effect on the total aggregate score. Yeah, you aren't going to get the morons giving 1 stars using Fandango, but the same people that are inclined to score a 10 already are going to run wild on a site only they can vote on.

There is too much emotional energy surrounding both sides at the current moment to get a clear assessment of the 'public' view of this movie. The people who spent a month protecting this film are not going to provide an honest assessment of it.
    People inclined to already like a movie and give high score isn't review manipulation if they already saw the movie. That is their feeling on the movie. Review Manipulation someone who hasn't seen the movie giving a fake review. Bias is a part of reviewing which is why people use aggregate sites to get collection of feelings because they are people who will bias both ways. Trying to sell dickwads voting down a movie because the dislike the actor for some stupid political reason and never seeing the movie as if it is the same thing as Fan of property giving high review after seeing it is ridiculous imo.

Even among professional reviewers there is bias and they rate movies high or low because they are fans or hate the things. Fans rate things higher.Hater of the thing rate things lower, General public who don't care rate from how they feel and you get a general consensus from all those things that is standard practice. I haven't seen a public campaign from a fan base hey let's make sure we vote up a movie even if it sucks because fans don't want bad product which is why Justice League got hammered even though fans wanted to love it. Beside the General Public isn't caught up in this controversy the assessment that are coming out are fine.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-12-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Ultimate Member

I wonder will those manbabies get mad about this...

https://shadowandact.com/fubu-jordan...ss-the-country

Peele must know as much, and how significant this moment is for Black entertainers, press and lovers of the genre, so as Us was making its world premiere at SXSW in Austin, Texas, there were several screenings of Us specifically for Black media and Black influencers held across the country: in LA, Atlanta and New York.

Called #UsFirst, the screening began with a message from Peele and the film's two stars, Lupita Nyong'o and Winston Duke, sharing how important it was to them that Black audiences got a chance to experience Us first.
    JOrdan Peele didn't say a word he just did it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

When I went and saw Ant Man and the Wasp I was the only person in the theater. The movie still made over 600 million dollars. People only see what fits their personal narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I'm sure some theaters were half empty... that's how it works. But I was in the rundown theater in town that usually draws the arthouse crowd and I saw it in a full theater, despite it playing on three screens there.
    I deliberately go and see movies at quieter times. The screen I saw it in was probably a quarter full, it was the biggest screen in town though. All it proves is I saw it on a quiet Tuesday during a time most people would be commuting, not heading to a cinema.

Amazing Member

Apparently the narrative of the trolls has changed to .... are you ready for it? ..... Disney is lying about the Captain Marvel's Box office. ..... LOL

They are seizing on an article by Matt McGloin (who basically writes nothing but hate regarding Captain Marvel) at a site called Cosmic Book News
    https://cosmicbook.news/disney-lying...#disqus_thread

Some Youtubers are running on the doubt the box office numbers are actually true. I've got no words left for this insanity.

BANNED

Isn’t it illegal to falsely report financial earnings?

IDK how “official” box office reports are.

No I’m not proposing this rumor is true. I’m suggesting Disney is smart enough not to do it.

How I would reply to this and every other conspiracy theory is Prove It. Conspiracy theories rely upon shifting the narrative in the face of facts instead of balancing the evidence. Nobody needs to address a conspiracy theory apart from a blanket denial of their logic and a call for them to prove their theory with facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Isn’t it illegal to falsely report financial earnings?

IDK how “official” box office reports are.

No I’m not proposing this rumor is true. I’m suggesting Disney is smart enough not to do it.
    Disney have absolutely nothing to do with the reporting of Box Office figures.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Disney have absolutely nothing to do with the reporting of Box Office figures.
    Well yeah. But if Disney can pay off Rotten Tomatoes and critics alike, surely they can buy off whoever reports box office earnings!

/s