Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Well yeah. But if Disney can pay off Rotten Tomatoes and critics alike, surely they can buy off whoever reports box office earnings!

/s
    So those saying either of those are possible or happening need to prove it. You are right to say the latter would be illegal, so that's not only unlikely its a silly thing to say. Even the cited article does not actually dare to make the claim because they could be sued. It is a typically mealy mouthed "I don't know but" article. If they don't know then why say anything?

Honestly the entire factual basis for this careful non-accusation is a few people on twitter who could be lying, and yet somehow that suggests a corporation might be breaking the law?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-13-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Variant View Post
    Apparently the narrative of the trolls has changed to .... are you ready for it? ..... Disney is lying about the Captain Marvel's Box office. ..... LOL

They are seizing on an article by Matt McGloin (who basically writes nothing but hate regarding Captain Marvel) at a site called Cosmic Book News
    https://cosmicbook.news/disney-lying...#disqus_thread

Some Youtubers are running on the doubt the box office numbers are actually true. I've got no words left for this insanity.
    Wow, so post photos of a theater lobby that is empty at allegedly a particular time and that proves anything. I love the reference to how theaters were empty just like they were for the recent Star Wars movies?????? I can't even find a Wikipedia reference to this Cosmic book news but I assume they are pretty much a propaganda site that is a joke along the lines of supermarket tabloids. I mean, yeah. No words for the sheer insanity of people who will actually believe this idiocy.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Wow, so post photos of a theater lobby that is empty at allegedly a particular time and that proves anything. I love the reference to how theaters were empty just like they were for the recent Star Wars movies?????? I can't even find a Wikipedia reference to this Cosmic book news but I assume they are pretty much a propaganda site that is a joke along the lines of supermarket tabloids. I mean, yeah. No words for the sheer insanity of people who will actually believe this idiocy.
    Basically it's a website where a some Richard Rider Nova fans complain about diversity.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Basically it's a website where a some Richard Rider Nova fans complain about diversity.
    Good to hear Rich Rider fans are so keen to see more diversity that they complain about the sad lack of it in so many of our comic books. Something I am sure Rider himself would be proud of. Pretty sure I am reporting on the facts here, I haven’t checked their views, made any attempt to varify them, I have not asked them to reply to my assertions and made huge assumptions, but clearly it’s a fact.

I remember someone, maybe Joker, saying there were three predictable responses when the ticket sales on Captain Marvel start coming in.

If it flops (very unlikely): "Get woke. Go broke."

If it is moderately successful: "See? It did poorly for an MCU movie."

If it is extremely successful: "It's just riding the coattails of the MCU."

If it is successful even by the standards of the MCU: "It's just capitalizing on IW and Endgame."

But we should have but didn't count on just sheer denial. Just a groundless claim that the figures are faked. Which I suppose is similar to the endless insistence that the biggest movie of it's year, TLJ, was "unsuccessful" because [insert rationalization for why it didn't turn out the way you wanted here]. The ticket sales eventually started dropping off. People keep complaining on the Internet so that proves it right there. Um, uh, toy sales weren't great. Anything but the sheer reality that it was the biggest movie of it's year and made a fortune and was hence overwhelmingly popular by actual evidence as opposed to anecdotal personal dislike by the person posting.

Ultimate Member

Well yeah. But if Disney can pay off Rotten Tomatoes and critics alike, surely they can buy off whoever reports box office earnings!

/s
    And there are some thing even Disney can not control.

And let me throw this out before it starts up and I am shocked that it has not. Because it did happen in real life and I would think nowadays it would be IMPOSSIBLE to do now.
    When you get your ticket to the movie-are you checking to make sure it's a ticket for the movie you PAID to see.

Because when Malcolm X came out at least here in my city-there were claims of folks paying to see that film but the stub read Home Alone.
    I never saw it but it made a big enough stink that even radio stations were telling folks to check your ticket stub to make sure your movie gets it's credit.

So beware of this claim.

But we should have but didn't count on just sheer denial. Just a groundless claim that the figures are faked. Which I suppose is similar to the endless insistence that the biggest movie of it's year, TLJ, was "unsuccessful" because [insert rationalization for why it didn't turn out the way you wanted here]. The ticket sales eventually started dropping off. People keep complaining on the Internet so that proves it right there. Um, uh, toy sales weren't great. Anything but the sheer reality that it was the biggest movie of it's year and made a fortune and was hence overwhelmingly popular by actual evidence as opposed to anecdotal personal dislike by the person posting.
    Now to be FAIR-if that is what they are seeing where they live-it's "true" to them. However they should realize what is true for them might not be true for everybody else.

Take Wonder Woman movie toys. I saw them on clearance at Target the second week of the film. So if a bunch of Targets were doing that-it would hurt sales at places lie Toys R Us & Wal-mart.
    Marvel Rising dolls. The male dolls ESPECIALLY Patriot are hard to find. He stayed sold out online for at least 2 months.
    Star Wars- At least HERE in my city if your name was Lando or Finn-no store could keep you in stock.
    We won't discuss Xavier Woods, Sasha Banks or Shelton Benjamin figures.
    Oh and that is NOT counting stores who would NOT sell the stuff or even stock it-hi Fantastic Four 2016 & Star Trek Beyond.

Funny thing is about those complainers-guess who did MORE to promote the film?

There was a reason Married With Children and Fox sent that woman in Michigan flowers every year they were on the air. Her complaining made the show popular.

Apparently the narrative of the trolls has changed to .... are you ready for it? ..... Disney is lying about the Captain Marvel's Box office. ..... LOL

They are seizing on an article by Matt McGloin (who basically writes nothing but hate regarding Captain Marvel) at a site called Cosmic Book News

Some Youtubers are running on the doubt the box office numbers are actually true. I've got no words left for this insanity.
    I've seen a couple random people from the trolls spouting this off. IMHO, the trolls desperate. I think they were totally convinced that the majority at large would reject the movie for the same reasons they do and now they're learning that practically everyone else but them is fully onboard with it. They have to come up with some reason why the movie isn't failing like their ideology dictates that it must. otherwise they would have face the truth that they're alone in their bigotry and that they're being left behind in history.

(Haven't heard that writer in question, but I've seen plenty of troll YouTubers who're happily posting mass amounts of videos spreading hate for the movie and the people involved, so I believe you. I am not looking forward to them keeping this up in the very likely future that Captain Marvel becomes one of the superstars of Phase 4.)

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    How exactly are Disney supposed to be doing this?

How I would reply to this and every other conspiracy theory is Prove It. Conspiracy theories rely upon shifting the narrative in the face of facts instead of balancing the evidence. Nobody needs to address a conspiracy theory apart from a blanket denial of their logic and a call for them to prove their theory with facts.
    From my experience, it does no good to ask them to prove it; they just repeat the same arguments over and over again and write you off as someone who's peddling lies. They don't care about the truth of the matter, they just want to be vindicated on their preconceived beliefs.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Captain Marvel has made over a half billion dollars in less than a week and it's driving some nuts why? Solo.

Solo's production was a mess and basically reshooting the entire film ballooned the budget. So you have a film that was a mess behind the scenes with a massive budget and having a supporting character in Lando with better recasting and would had been a better choice to be the main character of the film IMO. What happens? It turned out OK to bad depending who you ask I know some people love it and if you're one cool I'm just going by general public reactions so of course it was going to be a financial failure even with the Star Wars brand attached. But the Anti-Captain Marvel crowd thought it was them they did it they sunk a freaking Star Wars film made by the powerful Disney this was their David and Goliath moment in their heads and it gave them a false empowerment.

Now fans can affect franchises but it has to be a niche franchise with a smaller but loyal fanbase. Example the upcoming Child's Play remake that is being made with Aubrey Plaza and it looks good but Child's Play has a niche and loyal fan base and a lot of that fan base are annoyed by this film. Why? Well the Studio had the rights just to the original film hence the remake. See Child's Play/Chucky rights are a lot like Night of the Living and Romero's Dead films and Return of the Living Dead series so you have two diverting series from the same franchise. Now you have a Studio jumping on the horror bandwagon against the wishes of franchise producer Don Mancini who is doing a TV series that is a continuation of the original Chucky franchise starring Brad Dourif and original franchise cast members. So yeah this is a case where if the general audience doesn't take to the remake it will be a big failure because they already lost a lot of the fans that franchises especially niche franchises count on.

But Star Wars and Marvel are different they have proven time after time to appeal to the larger General Audience and are making bank so the idea a portion of the fanbase could ever have a real effect on these franchises is insane especially with a large portion of the fans still loyal and more importantly the larger General Audience still loyal to these brands as long like any product they put out good stuff. But they thought this would be Solo 2.0 I mean ironically the whole RT stuff proves these people made the deadly sin of believing their own propaganda they goosed the audience interest numbers and then believed said numbers as really representing the general public. So seeing this film not only not fail but doing Fantastic is driving them nuts and they're grasping at any conspiracy theory that will explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I've seen a couple random people from the trolls spouting this off. IMHO, the trolls desperate. I think they were totally convinced that the majority at large would reject the movie for the same reasons they do and now they're learning that practically everyone else but them is fully onboard with it. They have to come up with some reason why the movie isn't failing like their ideology dictates that it must. otherwise they would have face the truth that they're alone in their bigotry and that they're being left behind in history.
    On that subject, I remember years and years ago, some rapper was asked by a reporter if he thought that the lyrics of some rap songs kind of promote racism because a lot of people hear some of those lyrics and it reinforces a lot of their attitudes. The rapper's response was no because, if all it takes is a song with some lyrics someone doesn't like to bring it out, then the racism was so close to the surface that it clearly takes nothing or the slightest excuse for it to boil over. I would frankly put Larson's comments for inclusiveness in the same category regarding sexism. If all it takes is for someone to call for inclusiveness but maybe not word it in the best possible way to cause all this hatred of her and desire to present her as the sexist for outlining the problems, then the sexism is so ridiculously close to the surface that, again, it takes only the slightest excuse for it to boil over into what we've seen.

(Haven't heard that writer in question, but I've seen plenty of troll YouTubers who're happily posting mass amounts of videos spreading hate for the movie and the people involved, so I believe you. I am not looking forward to them keeping this up in the very likely future that Captain Marvel becomes one of the superstars of Phase 4.)

From my experience, it does no good to ask them to prove it; they just repeat the same arguments over and over again and write you off as someone who's peddling lies. They don't care about the truth of the matter, they just want to be vindicated on their preconceived beliefs.
    To paraphrase a different subject, the moment you point out how erroneous their "evidence" is, you're an apologist, a snowflake, etc. Ironically, I suspect this will all either be irrelevant or even push Captain Marvel even "higher, further, faster" along the lines of the "Married with Children" example.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

It's gone full comicgate. The Mos Eisley of comic book internet.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

/s
    That is the comfort Zone that Conspiracy Theories and Conspiracies in general provided. Whatever facts or hard evidence that is given the conspiracies will always say "THEY" are In~On~It and usually used Level of Power, Money, Influences as the reasoning behind how they can do it, they don't have to provide facts even, only seed that idea in peoples minds to make them think for a moment it might be true and add that with a wanting to believe in something that gets backed by this seed and BOOM, you get Why Conspiracy is so easy and such a comfort zone.

Most of All, Those that believe in the Conspiracy are the only ones telling the truth in their minds, it is why they get so dug in about it.

What is leads to is even more of a Marginalizing of that set of the Fanbase, they will be come smaller, but likely more desperate so expect more hardcore ramblings on it.

So ~~~ I Guess we can add Newsarama to the Conspiracy Web as well!

CAPTAIN MARVEL $524 Million & Climbing Towards Projected $1 Billion Box Office!

https://www.newsarama.com/44217-capt...e=notification
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

It's important to point out that the exact same site had some wonky story about how Marvel had adjusted the opening down to around eighty to one hundred million for the opening weekend with absolutely nothing to back said claim up.

This one isn't particularly surprising.

Do you think Shang Chi will be targeted? Or do you think it's not diversity itself but that fact they feel like it's being shoved in they're face?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Do you think Shang Chi will be targeted? Or do you think it's not diversity itself but that fact they feel like it's being shoved in they're face?
    I wouldn't bet money against these people targeting Shang-Chi.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I wouldn't bet money against these people targeting Shang-Chi.
    Well they got a director today who has a ethnically vague name but appears to be Asian, so hopefuly this movie embaraces all that and is a mostly Asian production. Also hes a drama guy who's worked with Brie Larson a few times weird choice for a Kung Fu esque flick but I dig it.