Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152 LastLast

John Carter, The Lone Ranger, Alice Through the Looking Glass, The BFG, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, The Last Jedi (Audience Score), Solo (Audience Score), A Wrinkle Time, seriously if people get out their Star Wars MCU bubbles they'll see how ridiculous the idea Rotten Tomatoes protects Disney is fact is a small group of disgruntled fans, opertunist, and misogynistic trolls got together thru YouTube Channels and Social Media to down vote Captain Marvel because they disliked Brie Lawson and given very few of the actual movie going public vote on this kind of stuff it gave a false view of audience anticipation and was giving Rotten Tomatoes bad press due to misogynistic overtones and flatout misogyny of some of the people involved with this I know this is a dog chasing a tail argument but it's frustrating to see people ignoring facts and buy into conspiracy land nonsense.

Once again the makers of Transformers,Jurassic Park and Fast Furious and the makers of DC movies aka owners of RT would have just as much interest in trolls not affecting their movies as Disney . It is not much of hard move to make when making a change benefits you just as much as Disney.

Shazam is going to put DCEU Rotten Tomatoes bias rumor to bed, Every time DC has made objective good movies they have been rated high on RT Nolan's Batman,Wonder Woman and looks like Shazam is that club now. People are going to pretend every Marvel movie got amazing rating despite that Cap 1(80),Hulk 2(67), Thor 1(77) and 2(66), Ironman 2(73) and 3(80), Avengers 2(75), Antman(82), Guardian 2(83), and Captain Marvel(78) aren't 83 or below that. Heck even Infinity wars is only 85 for critics rating.

The Conspiracy theory are stupid, If these companies had real influence on reviewers, They would have stuff like Mummy(2017) which was suppose set up Universal Dark Universe or Justice League(2017) or Batman V Superman(2016) which would have set up DCEU long term those movies would have gotten all "the help" they needed so they could continue pushing out movies. If this "shady stuff" is happening is not like these multi billion companies are sitting around in the dark with no clue of what the other ones are doing. Justice League had a production budget of 300 million and ad budget of somewhere between 200 to 350 million. You think guys Warner Bros wasn't trying their hardest to make Justice League a success? Apparently protecting yourself making 300 million dollars flops in Mummy and Justice League is easily match by taking percentage of online tickets sales with Fandango. I mean why wouldn't you try have your own fake Billion dollar franchises and get all of the money. It is not like Disney is some untouchable monster beating up on poor downtrodden small companies we are talking about ATT/WarnerMedia and Comcast/Universal these are 1,2,and 3 in media companies. They can do anything anything Disney does it just doesn't make any sense. ATT and Comcast mergers NBC and Warner respectively where challenged because of fears they might be creating a monopoly. They have no reason to bow to Disney or make anything easy for them.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-24-2019 at 04:41 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This talking point that RT is owned by WB and therefore is authentic/reliable/trustworthy when it addresses WB films has never been valid. RT makes money off of the MCU, in fact the popularity of the site is partially attributed to the success of the MCU. RT doesn't have to be controlled by Disney for them to take strides to protect a Disney property simply because they are such cash cow.

My criticism of RT has always been more nuanced than, 'lel, Disney bought them!' anyway. I have no doubt when RT reviewers click the the 'Fresh' button when they submit a film review they mean it. Its just the roster of critics that RT hosts now consist of 'nerd/pop' reviewers that lack the lack the knowledge to critic cinema. For example, the MCU is notorious for its poor cinematography, yet, reviewers will rarely bring this subject up, as they are focusing mostly on character, plot and how progressive the film is.

The whole “Marvel is bad, DC is good” is quite tiring. It’s been extended to “critics favor Disney” .

It’s now evolved into pure toxicity with people attacking Rottentomatoes for literally no reason when all they do is aggregate film scores. It was so bad during the “Snyder era” that critics were getting death threats. Ridiculous. Again, this is another dead discussion because a lot of Disney’s movies get bad reviews and bomb hard.

You’ve been on this particular point for years now and it’s a tired, dead discussion especially as regards movies because DC movies and Marvel movies aren’t made by the same people that make the comics. Not to mention the general audiences simply go to movies they like and ignore those they don’t. It’s not a Marvel or DC thing, WB made some terrible, garbage movies like BvS and were called out and rightly criticized for it.

One is allowed to be negative but you can’t ignore basic fact to push conspiracy theory. Not to mention it’s even against board rules because this is entering circular argument territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    Rumours have been out there for years critics and the media have a puff piece take about MCU movies. which makes a lot of sense.

Rotten Tomatoes chooses to finally destroy any credibility it had left to protect one MCU movie and you still think the idea is ridiculous? adding to critics admitting they go easy on many movies to gain access media. an admission said when a critic was talking about captain marvel.

The star wars MCU bubble is burst. people see them for what they are now. mediocre co-operate generic movies protected by the mass media shills. Read some of the reviews for captain marvel, you would have to wonder how they are counting as fresh. there are critics that actually call the movie mediocre, weak, bad, waste of time and they still gave it a pass. this only happens with MCU movies. it is not by accident.

If Wonder Woman was as bad as Captain Marvel was. RT will have it at 27% along with BvS. DC has to work hard to earn their good reviews.
    Exactly. Rumors have been out there for years. Rumors. No evidence. Rumors.

To protect one MCU movie? Ridiculous. As someone pointed out above, why didn't RT do that to protect movies put out by WB that owns RT? How about all of these other MCU movies that got low RT ratings?

The problem with Conspiracy theories like most rumors is that people just want to believe them so they don't test the "theory". They don't say, "How could this theory be proven wrong?" Hmm, as above. RT is not protecting their own movies and there's a good list of MCU movies they didn't protect.

Let's see how many baseless assertions you managed to work into one post.

Specifically what critic said they go easy on MCU movies? What is his or her name? Do you have a link to where it was said?

Oh yes, the absurd mass media shill assertion again, largely because professional critics don't review movies by the criteria that diehard fans do. As Roeper sarcastically put it: We all know diehard fans of established franchises don't hate movies for trivial technicalities.

What people see the movies for what they are? You apparently don't mean the people who made TLJ the Number One movie of it's year that made over a billion dollars and the people pushing CM to a billion in its first three weeks. You must mean the people who make twenty youtube videos apiece if not more.

Calling it weak and bad doesn't sound like a pass. Maybe you mean they rated it as an okay action movie. A 78% critics score sounds kind of run of the mill to me, hardly an overwhelming two thumbs up. I guess they forgot to remove some of those reviews. As someone just pointed out, "Infinity War" only got a 85% critics score, the biggest MCU movie to date, an 85. Oh yeah, the smell of Conspiracy and "shill" critics is overwhelming.

Your comparison to WW assumes your own opinion that CM was a bad movie. Now, I'm not saying that you probably already had that opinion before you even saw it. Personally, I think WW was a very good movie, better than CM. Wonder Woman deserves it's 93% critics rating just as CM deserves it's 78%.

Clearly, RT has given bad ratings to MCU movies many times. They are right there to see. I should think the difference in this case as to why they stepped in should be obvious. Those other movies were not being attacked based on the reasons movies like TLJ, BP and CM were being attacked. Those three movies were being targeted very much along racist and/ or sexist lines and RT cannot allow themselves to be perceived as condoning such attitudes. Being accused of bias by a bunch of fringe conspiracy theorists is minor compared to the accusation of condoning racism and sexism.

Oh and on RT, TLJ has an audience score of 44% and CM 62%. Strange that they haven't tried to alter that. Maybe because they don't think that is trolling. Hell, even BP has only a 79% audience score which, considering it's success, just proves most people don't post reviews on RT or anywhere else but RT doesn't seem to have any problem with showing that information.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericFailures View Post
    Brie Larson has been singled out purely because of people misrepresenting her words
    Hmm...

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male,”

“I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time,”

You can say what you want about her, but lets not pretend her words are misrepresented. If a white male actor had said something along these lines the outrage among the people defineding Brie would be boiling over.

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureBliss View Post
    Hmm...

“About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male,”

“I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time,”

You can say what you want about her, but lets not pretend her words are misrepresented. If a white male actor had said something along these lines the outrage among the people defineding Brie would be boiling over.
    There are some issues with this.

The question she was asked was why she thinks "A Wrinkle In Time" did not appeal more to white males. Her response was, "I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time- because it wasn't made for them." She explained it was made for teen girls, especially black girls. Online sites and youtube videos of all sorts were declaring in big headlines, "Brie Larson says she hates white males". That sure as hell IS a misrepresentation of what she really said.

I think she is very aware of a point a lot of people overlook. Nobody would ask a white male actor why his movies don't appeal more to non-white males because that is usually the target audience.

It has also been pointed out that many of the women who interviewed her about CM themselves pointed out how they never expected to get such an interview because they are almost always bypassed for the big interviews even when they have the seniority and the credentials that they should get their turn.

Ultimate Member

Good lord, are we back to the lies and conspiracy theories again?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    John Carter, The Lone Ranger, Alice Through the Looking Glass, The BFG, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, The Last Jedi (Audience Score), Solo (Audience Score), A Wrinkle Time, seriously if people get out their Star Wars MCU bubbles they'll see how ridiculous the idea Rotten Tomatoes protects Disney is fact is a small group of disgruntled fans, opertunist, and misogynistic trolls got together thru YouTube Channels and Social Media to down vote Captain Marvel because they disliked Brie Lawson and given very few of the actual movie going public vote on this kind of stuff it gave a false view of audience anticipation and was giving Rotten Tomatoes bad press due to misogynistic overtones and flatout misogyny of some of the people involved with this I know this is a dog chasing a tail argument but it's frustrating to see people ignoring facts and buy into conspiracy land nonsense.

The MCU is a much bigger deal than those movies were. Plus Disney almost went out of their way to sabotage John Carter, the marketing was terrible, the title itself was bad - nothing to indicate it was a space adventure.
    The Lone Ranger was obviously bad, no amount of lipstick on that pig was going to save it. No amount of Disney pressure is going to save an obviously bad movie, especially if Disney itself gave up in the movie. And if those
    movies flopped it was no big deal. Disney is basing the whole future of the MCU on Captain Marvel succeeding. They don't want another Star Wars fiasco.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Disney is basing the whole future of the MCU on Captain Marvel succeeding
    Source for this?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Good lord, are we back to the lies and conspiracy theories again?
    Sometimes I wonder if we ever really left them at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureBliss View Post
    Hmm...

If a white male actor had said these things he would have been lauded for weeks for his forthrightness and strength of character owning up to this. It's only because this was said by a non-white-male that that there is boiling outrage.

And...her words certainly were misrepresented, as they are in this very post of yours. Context means everything.

The MCU is a much bigger deal than those movies were. Plus Disney almost went out of their way to sabotage John Carter, the marketing was terrible, the title itself was bad - nothing to indicate it was a space adventure.
    The Lone Ranger was obviously bad, no amount of lipstick on that pig was going to save it. No amount of Disney pressure is going to save an obviously bad movie, especially if Disney itself gave up in the movie. And if those
    movies flopped it was no big deal. Disney is basing the whole future of the MCU on Captain Marvel succeeding. They don't want another Star Wars fiasco.
    Oh please. Seriously? Had "Captain Marvel" flopped, they would just do what they did with "The Incredible Hulk". No sequels. Only showing up in team movies or as a backup character in somebody else's movie or just have her show up in "Endgame" because it was already filmed before "CM" even hit the theaters and then drop her.

I like Captain Marvel, both the movie and the character. But, simply put, she's not THAT important. She's not Wonder Woman. Sure, they would love for her to be their signature character because she carries the company name and because they want her to be their ultimate female character and they even went all the way and made her their most powerful character, although that is a relative term in a setting that includes beings like Dr. Strange, but certainly their most powerful in terms of raw power as opposed to WW who DC has to keep second fiddle in terms of raw power.

But Disney/ Marvel has proved themselves very adaptable. If it hadn't worked out as originally planned, they would adapt. They intended the Avengers to be Iron-Man, Thor, the Hulk, Captain America, Ant-Man and the Wasp, the same as the original comic book versions if we kibitz a little bit about the fact that the Hulk was gone just before Cap was there in the comics. But "Iron-Man" proved so popular that Disney wanted an IM 2 before the Avengers but without pushing back the schedule so they just dumped AM and the Wasp for IM2 and threw in the Black Widow and Hawkeye without solo movies.

Fortunately, with "Captain Marvel" reaching a billion dollars in ticket sales within days, they don't have to change their plans.

But your thought processes are interesting. Apparently, you think studios intentionally sabotage their own movies because they want to lose money? So they didn't just make mistakes on "John Carter" about how to market it? They said, "Hey, let's intentionally make sure this movie flops".

I repeat:

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Folks, keep it about the topic, don't talk about each other. Anybody breaking that very simple guideline will be joining the people I've already booted from the forums.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

No They were big deals too, John Carter(250 million budget),Wrinkle in Time(130 million budget) and Lone Ranger(225 to 250 budget) are suppose to be 3 movie franchises.(or more) And Star War is Star Wars. MCU is big deal because it successful doing what nothing else is doing but Disney is still looking for other franchises beyond MCU,Star War and its family movies. It is why something like Avatar and couple other fox properties are big for disney.

Disney is most definitely not basing it whole future on Captain Marvel that is ridiculous Captain Marvel had about 130 to 150 million dollar budget, Black Panther budget was 200 million, GoG 1 budget was 232 million dollars, Dr Strange budget was 165 million dollars,Spider homecoming budget was 175 million . Captain Marvel had budget similar to Antman the money and that money invested in shows what they think of it before release(They show her respect in marketing tho). Stuff like Black Panther and GoG they went hey let us polish this up a little more here take more money. Disney wanted to Captain marvel to be successful because they want to reach a demographic and she is a big part of the their future plans but she is a piece.

They already found an clear anchor in Black Panther it is kinda silly to say whole future of MCU is riding on Captain Marvel, When they are clear successful franchise like Spiderman,Black Panther,Dr Strange and Thor still around and Iron Man,Captain America, and Hulk which be taken in different direction without the main characters. Oh yeah they got back the X-men and FF.Sigh
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-24-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Oy so now people are upset with her because shes not qualified to be a director? Got to love how ridiculous people are. Shes as qualified as any first time director.