Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That's what King's Action story was indicating, that she was tiring of those serums, she was taking longer to come to terms with things while doing what she loved on a grander scale. She being in rush to give that up for millions of years speaks just as truly to her character as confronting mortality. Who knows? In a spiritual sense, maybe after she died her soul got tired of spending time in heaven and that's why she readily accepts Clark rebuilding her in One Million?

Why should eternity be any less tolerable than people who tire of life? If you believe in heaven or whatnot, then that's still LIFE beyond what we comprehend isn't it? That IS you getting to live forever. What's the difference of living eternally in a physical sense vs living eternally in a spiritual one?
    Or I remember. Its just in my head, she wouldn't try them at all. She'd say "Clark, I'm a human being, humans age, humans die. I will be no different".

The difference between living eternally in a spiritual sense as opposed to the physical sense in this particular aspect is that, the spiritual sense as it would be written here would be natural. If we imagine in our lore that the afterlife is real and indeed a natural part of the order, which I subscribe to. Eternal physical living for a normal human on the other hand is unnatural, using science, magic, or whatever to unnaturally extend life. I just don't feel Lois Lane is the character to do that with. She's one of the pinnicle's of humanity that Superman respects and loves so much. She of all characters I think should be granted the honor of living and dying naturally as a human would, and with grace and dignity (this does not in my mind include being tragically murdered to drive a new pathos for Superman).

But that's just my take, and its a take that never truly comes to pass as we never truly get to that point in their lives since these characters are timeless. So its all relegated to the imaginary story, and everyone will have their own take that I respect. This is just my personal ideal.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I liked Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow ending.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah the inability of Clark to move on from Lois in DC One Million is something I find creepy not heartwarming.
    Why should he move on from her? I'd love to hold a candle for someone that long. It's only creepy if Lois doesn't reciprocate the same feelings after being revived, but she did.

Believe it or not, some humans on this planet don't move on from losing their loved ones...some never marry again, why hold Superman to the same standard as those who have two, to four different partners? Just because others are quick to forget what their significant other means to them doesn't mean he should sink to their level.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-01-2019 at 12:13 PM.

I don't understand the logic of moving on business . Clark at the end of the day is a kryptonIan. What if kryptonIans mate for life.wait, does that sound twilight-ish. Yuck! Scratch everything i said.

Why should he move on from her? I'd love to hold a candle for someone that long. It's only creepy if Lois doesn't reciprocate the same feelings after being revived, but she did.

Believe it or not, some humans on this planet don't move on from losing their loved ones...some never marry again, why hold Superman to the same standard as those who have two, to four different partners? Just because others are quick to forget what their significant other means to them doesn't mean he should sink to their level.
    Yeah! It happens. My father didn't after mother died. He seems very healthy.

Superman One Million is so abstract. I mean, living on for millennia is just not something that happens, so you can't apply normal human psychology to it, and you can't really make a summary, blanket judgment of whether or not it's a good thing if Superman decides he wants to bring his wife back. Like I said before, it can either be really romantic, or just weird AF like the bride of Frankenstein. In Morrison's world in which Superman can make the impossible possible, then it can be a lovely story. But for most other writers who would argue Superman ain't Jesus and can't just Lazarus Lois (Lo-zar-is?), then the story about a guy going out of his way to bring back to life someone who's been dead for centuries is going to make Superman look like one crazy MFer. Of course, none of this is real, but how good the story comes out depends on a lot of factors.

So the answer to whether or not it's a good idea is the same as the answer to most of life's questions: it depends.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I think Elliot S! Maggin's version of an ending are quite underrated in my opinion. Which were The Ghost Of Superman's Future from Superman #416, Feb 1986 and the short story Luthor's Gift.

I personally prefer them over Alan Moore's Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow as a Pre Crisis Superman finale.
    Last edited by BBally; 03-01-2019 at 12:58 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

What's wrong with Clark (and everyone else he loves, Lois included) living forever?
    The best example I can think of is Element Lad in Legion Lost. He was the most kind and gentle soul you could ever see and living that long made him lose touch with his humanity over the centuries. When a normal human life goes by in the blink of an eye for you your going to lose your connection to normal beings. I don't think a person who was born mortal could ever really adapt to living thousands and thousands of years without losing their sense of self.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! It happens. My father didn't after mother died. He seems very healthy.
    yes but human life is so short compared to Superman. It really is not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Superman One Million is so abstract. I mean, living on for millennia is just not something that happens, so you can't apply normal human psychology to it, and you can't really make a summary, blanket judgment of whether or not it's a good thing if Superman decides he wants to bring his wife back. Like I said before, it can either be really romantic, or just weird AF like the bride of Frankenstein. In Morrison's world in which Superman can make the impossible possible, then it can be a lovely story. But for most other writers who would argue Superman ain't Jesus and can't just Lazarus Lois (Lo-zar-is?), then the story about a guy going out of his way to bring back to life someone who's been dead for centuries is going to make Superman look like one crazy MFer. Of course, none of this is real, but how good the story comes out depends on a lot of factors.

So the answer to whether or not it's a good idea is the same as the answer to most of life's questions: it depends.
    LOL! That was funny man. I forgot that Superman resurrects Lois after she was dead for SO LONG. yeah, I respect everybody's opinion really, but for me it's feels more creepy than romantic. It's so out there. I'd expect Superman to be more emotionally mature and respectful of the fact that his late wife died and cherish her memory and move on. It doesn't mean he never loved her. Of course he did, but she died and he needs to accept it.

But like you say, it's SO far away and so fantastical that we shouldn't take it so seriously lol. It's just a beautiful fantasy and theories. And maybe some day someone else will come up with an even more captivating Superman ending. Also, I rather Superman see his children with Lois grow and multiply. The Superman dynasty.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-01-2019 at 01:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    yes but human life is so short compared to Superman. It really is not comparable.

LOL! That was funny man. I forgot that Superman resurrects Lois after she was dead for SO LONG. yeah, I respect everybody's opinion really, but for me it's feels more creepy than romantic. It's so out there. I'd expect Superman to be more emotionally mature and respectful of the fact that his late wife died and cherish her memory and move on. It doesn't mean he never loved her. Of course he did, but she died and he needs to accept it..
    Again, some people never move on. And there's nothing wrong with that

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The best example I can think of is Element Lad in Legion Lost. He was the most kind and gentle soul you could ever see and living that long made him lose touch with his humanity over the centuries. When a normal human life goes by in the blink of an eye for you your going to lose your connection to normal beings. I don't think a person who was born mortal could ever really adapt to living thousands and thousands of years without losing their sense of self.
    I think in Element Lad's case it wasn't that he was immortal, it was that he floated alone in the void of space for millions or maybe even billions of years until the stars formed, then was the only sentient life form in existence for millions of years after that before before planets formed and he started creating his own life to keep him company. I remember Brainy at one point was like he has to be wrong because the time scales he's talking about are billions of years. It was isolation and lack of contact with any other living being drove him insane. It's like solitary confinement. Days or weeks of no contact can do damage to a person, billions of years destroyed his mind. Honestly, I just reread that and I think they kept him too sane after what he went through.

Someone who kept contact with others would likely be able to retain their sanity.

Keeping the One Million ending in the All Star timeline makes it pretty romantic. Their life together was cut short and he "died" loving her completely. She waited her natural life for him, trusting he'd find a way to do the impossible and come back to her. When he finally returned he fulfilled his last promise her. He found a way back to her. I mean, that's pretty romantic story. Nothing creepy about that to me.

King's story is just too abstract and not meant to be read literally.
    Last edited by Yoda; 03-01-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Again, some people never move on. And there's nothing wrong with that
    I think he should. Death is part of human life, and he should know it and respect it. It doesn't mean he won't remember her anymore. It just means he is mature enough to accept it and try to continue his life with dignity.

If Superman lived for centuries, I imagine his love life would be something akin to Connor MacLeod's. MacLeod's "true love" was the wife he had in the Scottish highlands back in the 1500's, but that never stopped him from making new relationships (if not shallow ones). I don't imagine if he had other wives he'd bother revisiting their graves every year. Then again, I don't follow Highlander outside of the first few movies and the 1990's TV series, which wasn't really in continuity with the first few movies...

But if Superman were living in isolation for thousands of years, and learned how to resurrect the dead, that's a different story altogether.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Not sure.

* As a rule All Star Superman/DC One Million is my gold standard. Smarter people than me have explained why these are just the very best. It's got all the fixins, and it perfectly mythologizes Superman and his world as a true succor myth to all other forerunners even the New Gods, and it sets it on the foundation of a love story and a promise that transcends time and space. It's perfect in what it aims to do.

* I'm not so much a fan of Kingdom Come Superman's ending, but rather I'm a big fan of some specific ideas and imagery in it. Clark having to watch his kids and their peers fly off in rockets into space while he clutches at his wife legitimately has me well up sometimes. Clark adopting his biological father's colors and sun shirt while wearing a plaid shirt similar to his adopted father, and wearing his glasses is like an orgy of symbolism. And I love the visual of adorable old man Clark using his classic cape as the warm blanket it was always intended as, and now actually needing the glasses watching his legacy fly above him.

* Strange Visitor aka Adventures of Superman #46 sometimes ties with All Star and DC One Million in terms of just how Superman the ending is. I mean, there's all the surface level stuff that I like such as Superman telling stories to a dying immortal just before the universe goes up, Superman splitting himself into multiple versions of himself, and Superman HOLDING THE END OF THE UNIVERSE BLACK WITH HIS BODY is pretty cool.....I guess. But it's just how mindful of core aspects of the character and concept that puts this story in the same breath as All Star and One Million in terms of an ending. For starters, the story has Superman display his most basic powers on the grandest scale possible: he uses strength and durability to hold off the end, the uses speed to race it, and he makes a final leap/fly to beat it. It takes the concept of duality that is at the crux of the character and has him literally split himself off into multiple lives on a cosmic scale. It has Lois show up one last time to remind him that he's still a man, and that's not a weakness. It centers the whole thing around a mystery to be solved. It's told to a another character mimicking the job of the reporter/author (one of Superman's forms is also seen doing this). And at the end it's him never giving up on us, and being there to catch us if we ever fall. But maybe best of all is that it's not and "end" but rather a "to be continued."
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I think he should. Death is part of human life, and he should know it and respect it. It doesn't mean he won't remember her anymore. It just means he is mature enough to accept it and try to continue his life with dignity.
    How is choosing to live with the memories of the person you loved and shared your life with, lack dignity? Again, Superman is kryptonIan. What if his kinds notion of love differs from ours?Maturity has nothing to do with it. People make different choices. As long as they are healthy. What is wrong with it?