View Poll Results: Did you like the original superman movie with Christopher Reeve?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes !

33 89.19%
  • No !

4 10.81%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

1 Great movie
    2 Even better
    3 A guilty pleasure. I actually really enjoy watching this movie but I have to admit it's crap
    4 Dumpster fire

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Lee View Post
    Hahahahahahhahhahahahahahaha oomg seriously?
    Heh, yes, actually. Think about it. What is the first thing Superman does after giving up his powers? Well...

He has sex with Lois. That was probably his motivation the whole time. And can you really blame him? It actually makes a lot of sense.

SUPERMAN THE MOVIE is still the most influential superhero film ever.

But it definitely shows its age, as it is definitely a product of the 1970s.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Misery loves company, I guess, and it's good to know I'm not the only who had this problem. But, at the same time, it's quite unfortunate if this is a shared problem. I'll have to buy the new DVDs to replace them in the near future.
    I also had similar problems with a few other Warner Bros discs manufactured around 2006-2008. Two discs of Lois and Clark season 3 stopped working and one disc of a season on dukes of Hazzard as well. I've got older WB discs that still play flawless. My DVD copy of the 2001 special edition of the first film looks like its been used as a coaster with all the scratches. It still plays fine.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Heh, yes, actually. Think about it. What is the first thing Superman does after giving up his powers? Well...

He has sex with Lois. That was probably his motivation the whole time. And can you really blame him? It actually makes a lot of sense.
    Why does superman give up his powers?

I respect the films for being an attempt to bring comic books to the big screen. Got to start somewhere. All the movies today owe a debt to the original Superman movie.

Man they’re brutal to watch though. For me, it’s everything I don’t like about the character. He’s such a “nice” guy. He has no real internal questions about what he’s doing. He puts on glasses and acts like an idiot for what reason? Why doesn’t he tell Lois who he is? It all just feels like an old comic book and I can’t stand many older comics. I’ve rarely liked Superman but Man of Steel got everything right for me. I could completely get behind a sequel to that. However , they ruined the character in the Justice League film. I’d still support a sequel or definitely this proposed Michael B Jordan film.

No disrespect. Absolutely groundbreaking but not very entertaining by today’s standards. Very corny just products of another time. Don’t shoot me lol. I made a negative comment yrs ago on the movie Facebook page about killing the villains in II and got banned. The page was like a cult.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 03-03-2019 at 03:58 PM.

None of the movies are flawed. Just because you disliked certain things doesnt mean there actually flawed. I like all of the movies for exactly what they are. Some scenes envoke different emotions ( like when rocky beats up superman I get defensive) but that doesnt mean that there wrong or flawed. That's how the movie was released.
    Just because you like them and that's how they were released, doesn't mean they're not flawed either.

Whether a work of art is flawed or not is always going to be subjective. For the reasons I stated (and others) I feel they films are flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I made a negative comment yrs ago on the movie Facebook page about killing the villains in II and got banned. The page was like a cult.
    FWIW, it's arguable whether he killed the villains. In most cuts, it looks likely, but isn't confirmed. In one cut, you actually see them taken away by the police at the end.

TBH, I find that a bit less problematic than him sadistically crushing Zod's hand. Killing someone that dangerous might be necessary, but never torture.

Why does superman give up his powers?
    It's been a long time since I've seen the theatrical cut but, in the original Donner cut or as much of it as Donner could piece together, he does it because Jor-El says he has to do it if he's going to live a normal life where he falls in love with someone. It's not because he can't have sex with her while he has his powers because, in the Donner cut, he already had sex with her before [for some reason] asking the lifeless recordings from his father for permission to have a relationship with her. It was basically the prevailing television and movie fiction of the time, that the sheriff can't get married because of the risk to the family.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I respect the films for being an attempt to bring comic books to the big screen. Got to start somewhere. All the movies today owe a debt to the original Superman movie.

Man they’re brutal to watch though. For me, it’s everything I don’t like about the character. He’s such a “nice” guy. He has no real internal questions about what he’s doing. He puts on glasses and acts like an idiot for what reason? Why doesn’t he tell Lois who he is? It all just feels like an old comic book and I can’t stand many older comics. I’ve rarely liked Superman but Man of Steel got everything right for me. I could completely get behind a sequel to that. However , they ruined the character in the Justice League film. I’d still support a sequel or definitely this proposed Michael B Jordan film.

No disrespect. Absolutely groundbreaking but not very entertaining by today’s standards. Very corny just products of another time. Don’t shoot me lol. I made a negative comment yrs ago on the movie Facebook page about killing the villains in II and got banned. The page was like a cult.
    Personally, I find it very entertaining and great even now. BUT we are products of our time. I love it because I grew up in the sixties and seventies with those kinds of comic books. Ironically, for me, StM seemed a leap in realism compared to the last time I had read a DC comic which was several years before the movie. I mean, Lois and Superman actually had real feelings for each other and it even ended in sex. Think about how realistic that felt in 1978 compared to what had gone before.

I actually liked MoS despite the fact that I often criticize it. I thought it was a good modern "realistic" take on Superman, flawed at some points but still good. Best Lois Lane ever. Interestingly, that has to do with not rehashing what had been done over and over and instead having her figure out who he was right away and not having a rerun of the standard relationship. And I say that as a fan of the old George Reeves show but I didn't want to see something like that done yet again. And btw, I think that, the way it turned out in Superman II and after, the relationship in the Chris Reeve movies ended up being absolutely abusive. Mind wipes, etc.

Regarding killing the villains in SII, that is probably a debate that will never end. I never for a moment assumed he killed them specifically because of who he was in that era. I think the first television showing even had footage of them being taken into custody. If he had killed them, that would be just another problem I had with SII.

Edit: Dancj, I also had a big issue with Superman crushing the hand of an opponent he knew was now helpless, beating up a guy for revenge and the Amnesia Kiss.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 03-04-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    Power with Girl is better.

I never had issue with Superman going back to diner to screw with the trucker. I did grow up in the era where he locked Lois in a bathroom and played numerous pranks to get back at Steve Lombard. I just never viewed him as above those things. He symbolized all the wimps who wished they could get back at the bullies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I never had issue with Superman going back to diner to screw with the trucker. I did grow up in the era where he locked Lois in a bathroom and played numerous pranks to get back at Steve Lombard. I just never viewed him as above those things. He symbolized all the wimps who wished they could get back at the bullies.
    I don't mind that scene either, but it annoys me so much when people like this in Superman 2 but have a big issue when Clark does something similar in Man of Steel when he ruined the truck of that bully/abusive man. Sure it's not something really good to do, but those men deserves a lesson. And it also shows that Clark feels like a human after all.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Not only is the 1978 film my favourite Superman movie but my favourite superhero movie period.

It's considered by many filmmakers to be the blueprint in which other superhero movies are measured up to and because of that I personally think it will continue to stand the test of time longer than a number of superhero films made today.

Also Reeve is the best superhero actor in that not only did he play the character, he became the character.
    Last edited by BBally; 03-04-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Not only is the 1978 film my favourite Superman movie but my favourite superhero movie period.

It's considered by many filmmakers to be the blueprint in which other superhero movies are measured up to and because of that I personally think it will continue to stand the test of time longer than a number of superhero films made today.

Also Reeve is the best superhero actor in that not only did he play the character, he became the character.
    IMO, Superman The Movie is for those who grew up with it. Newer generations aren't impressed by it anymore. At least not the majority.

I think the first 2 movies are solid. the first is pretty great, but today's sensibilities are different. It's why we see lots of young people very into the Snyder Superman films but the older crowd who grew up with Reeve as Supes feel alienated. Not all but many.

I don’t know much the films connect with a modern audience. I’m sure they seem to represent a simpler time. The current films try to address how we would be suspicious of a Superman if he we real. That makes complete sense given the uncertainty of the world we live in. A mall near me has had several stores close recently and the comment heard most often is “I don’t feel safe coming to the mall”. That’s just the reality we live in it makes the older films seem quaint I guess.

I love those films though. It’s hard to grasp their impact when there are several quality comic book based films released every year. It was an amazing thrill for me! Still my favorite super hero film.