BANNED

Default criminal minds as dc animation

ever notice how some of the casts from criminal minds are appearing in every dc animated movie? i mean first we had c thomas howell who played the boston reaper voiced professor zoom in the flashpoint paradox then we had shemar moore as cyborg in justice league war then we had thomas gibbons as deathstroke in son of batman and now we have matthew grey gubler as the riddler in assault on arkham. so since we have four cast members in four dc animated features which actors do you expect to play each character?

DC Animaiton gave Andrea Romano (casting director, voice director, and voice actor for most of DC Animated films and several videogames) a mandate to find new voice talent for the new DC Animated films. So she did.

She's really good at her job as she chose some excellent new actors/actresses. She tends to pursue talented actors/actresses she admires and wants to work with, so this presented the perfect opportunity. And if you pay attention to who she casts you can probably discern what type of movies and tv shows she enjoys. As you've astutely infered she is a Criminal Minds fan.

Even though I haven't loved all the latest DC Films,

-Flashpoint Paradox, while good left me depressed at the end

-Justice League War, a very fun action romp. We don't get these too often. It wasn't as intense as DBZ but it was still very action packed and those are always fun especially since it felt like we haven't had one in a long time. The plot was simplistic but held together

-Batman and Son- this was terrible, one of the worst DC Animated films in recent memory. Ignoring the fact that it butchered an amazing arc in one of the greatest Batman runs of all time. It was rushed, cliche, un-compelling and lacking in direction and development.

I thought the voice acting was up to par.
    The J-man

BANNED

alright i'm just making sure. i wonder who paget brewster will play?

i loved flashpoint at first but then i noticed some of the problems like the movie being too short despite it feeling alot longer and there should've been more character moments like barry and her mom, barry and iris including flashpoint iris, thomas and martha, and so on. i also didn't understand why professor zoom didn't just kill thomas and i wondered how thomas even got into the same building as flash and zoom and he killed professor zoom.

justice league war was fun but not the best i've seen. there were moments where the jokes didn't felt right at place like flash just feeling awkward about seeing victor transform into cyborg. i also didn't find the fat middle age man dressing up as wonder woman when wonder woman tied him up with the lasso of truth. it just felt forced. the movie felt like it was trying to be more and more like the avengers. i also didn't like superman in this since he acted more like a brute than a hero. at least his man of steel version cared regardless of what an immature emo idiot he was. i tried to tolerate with hal but i can't get over the fact how much of a raging douchebag he was it's insane. it's like hal and guy switched brains like peter did with doc ock only this time guy is less superior and even more arrogant. i liked some moments of wonder woman, flash, batman, cyborg, and shazam though.

i can't remember much of batman and son but i sure was pissed how ubu became a traitor and how deathstroke appeared waaaaaaaay after dick became nightwing in his new blue and black uniform.

how bad was batman and son and why?

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    alright i'm just making sure. i wonder who paget brewster will play?

i loved flashpoint at first but then i noticed some of the problems like the movie being too short despite it feeling alot longer and there should've been more character moments like barry and her mom, barry and iris including flashpoint iris, thomas and martha, and so on. i also didn't understand why professor zoom didn't just kill thomas and i wondered how thomas even got into the same building as flash and zoom and he killed professor zoom.

justice league war was fun but not the best i've seen. there were moments where the jokes didn't felt right at place like flash just feeling awkward about seeing victor transform into cyborg. i also didn't find the fat middle age man dressing up as wonder woman when wonder woman tied him up with the lasso of truth. it just felt forced. the movie felt like it was trying to be more and more like the avengers. i also didn't like superman in this since he acted more like a brute than a hero. at least his man of steel version cared regardless of what an immature emo idiot he was. i tried to tolerate with hal but i can't get over the fact how much of a raging douchebag he was it's insane. it's like hal and guy switched brains like peter did with doc ock only this time guy is less superior and even more arrogant. i liked some moments of wonder woman, flash, batman, cyborg, and shazam though.

i can't remember much of batman and son but i sure was pissed how ubu became a traitor and how deathstroke appeared waaaaaaaay after dick became nightwing in his new blue and black uniform.

how bad was batman and son and why?

time travel/alternate reality stories are rife with plot holes. I've just learned to live with them. Keep in mind these 3 movies were adaptations of comic stories and they have only 72 to 75 minutes to adapts the story. Flashpoint Paradox sacrificed some character moments for action and adding in some more character cameos. They also made it gorier and unnecessarily so imo. Should Batman have taken out Zoom? Probably not but its Batman and DC feels compelled to give him his moment as they did in the comic. Just one of many cliche unlikely heroic victories.

Wonder Woman's voice felt a little off to me. Like they were laying on the naiveté really thick. But they were also staying true to the comic so I thought it was acceptable. Personally I just found it to be a huge improvement over the source material. The comic arcs pacing was really slow at first than incredibly rushed at the middle and end. Green Lantern was just annoying and dumb in the comic, but the movie actually made him funny and slightly likable.

I dislike Batman and Son in part because I loved Morrisions arc so much and this basically didn't follow it at all.

Here are the elements they kept the same:

Damian is his son
    Army of Manbats
    Ra's Al Ghul dead
    Damian puts on the robin costume
    Damian's personality (sort of)

they kept these general concepts the same. But the story was incredibly flawed in my eyes.

there was no set up noting to get you invested in the characters. We open up with Ra's Al Ghul's castle and next thing you know Deathstroke attacks with his forces. It's too fast. Damian's a little too good. He was a good fighter in the comics but not this good and it detracts from the story making Batman almost irrelevant here. Destroys Ubu and Deathstroke. Not to mention gives Nightwing a really good fight as we see Nightwing's all cut up and bloody. this is way too excessive. In the comics Damian beating Tim is impressive and establishes him as a highly skilled fighter but he was not on the level of the likes of Deahtstroke or Nightwing or Batman. We lose all the little nuances that make Deathstroke great in other incarnations. He's just a common villain here.

Lastly and more importantly Damian doesn't learn anything. There's no character growth or meaningful development. Bruce or Dick play no role in guiding him toward being a hero. He doesn't mature or need to as he doesn't need there help to take down Deathstroke. Damian can do everything himself and does to a degree. And Talia's character is simply wasted in this. Gone are all the subtle nuances that Morrison established and her role is basically mother/damsel in distress.

If this is simply set up for another film its not as terrible. However, its still a bad film that came off rather generic compared to other Batman films. That plot was surprisingly simplistic and straightforward. thats not a big deal with a film like Justice League War, because thats how the comic was. But Morrisions run on Batman was far more complex and highly story driven.

/end rant

i don't know if your going to see anymore Criminal Mind stars. Andrea has a multitude of actors she enjoys and it depends on what role she is looking for. Paget Brewster might not be at the top of her list for the part either.
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    time travel/alternate reality stories are rife with plot holes. I've just learned to live with them. Keep in mind these 3 movies were adaptations of comic stories and they have only 72 to 75 minutes to adapts the story. Flashpoint Paradox sacrificed some character moments for action and adding in some more character cameos. They also made it gorier and unnecessarily so imo. Should Batman have taken out Zoom? Probably not but its Batman and DC feels compelled to give him his moment as they did in the comic. Just one of many cliche unlikely heroic victories.

Wonder Woman's voice felt a little off to me. Like they were laying on the naiveté really thick. But they were also staying true to the comic so I thought it was acceptable. Personally I just found it to be a huge improvement over the source material. The comic arcs pacing was really slow at first than incredibly rushed at the middle and end. Green Lantern was just annoying and dumb in the comic, but the movie actually made him funny and slightly likable.

I dislike Batman and Son in part because I loved Morrisions arc so much and this basically didn't follow it at all.

Here are the elements they kept the same:

Damian is his son
    Army of Manbats
    Ra's Al Ghul dead
    Damian puts on the robin costume
    Damian's personality (sort of)

they kept these general concepts the same. But the story was incredibly flawed in my eyes.

there was no set up noting to get you invested in the characters. We open up with Ra's Al Ghul's castle and next thing you know Deathstroke attacks with his forces. It's too fast. Damian's a little too good. He was a good fighter in the comics but not this good and it detracts from the story making Batman almost irrelevant here. Destroys Ubu and Deathstroke. Not to mention gives Nightwing a really good fight as we see Nightwing's all cut up and bloody. this is way too excessive. In the comics Damian beating Tim is impressive and establishes him as a highly skilled fighter but he was not on the level of the likes of Deahtstroke or Nightwing or Batman. We lose all the little nuances that make Deathstroke great in other incarnations. He's just a common villain here.

Lastly and more importantly Damian doesn't learn anything. There's no character growth or meaningful development. Bruce or Dick play no role in guiding him toward being a hero. He doesn't mature or need to as he doesn't need there help to take down Deathstroke. Damian can do everything himself and does to a degree. And Talia's character is simply wasted in this. Gone are all the subtle nuances that Morrison established and her role is basically mother/damsel in distress.

If this is simply set up for another film its not as terrible. However, its still a bad film that came off rather generic compared to other Batman films. That plot was surprisingly simplistic and straightforward. thats not a big deal with a film like Justice League War, because thats how the comic was. But Morrisions run on Batman was far more complex and highly story driven.

/end rant

i don't know if your going to see anymore Criminal Mind stars. Andrea has a multitude of actors she enjoys and it depends on what role she is looking for. Paget Brewster might not be at the top of her list for the part either.
    i can see you're point on the fight but it didn't bother me as it shows how much of threat damien can be. i also couldn't understand why ub betrayed ra shal ghul and let me tell you that ubu reminds me alot of clayface and many other ugly creatures. infact i don't think he even has a neck.

wait on second thought thinking about the fight bothered me as how damien beated deathstroke so easily. and like i said i don't like how his debut was waaaaaaay after the titans and nightwing's new blue and black suit especially damien's debut

i agree with you on wonder woman's voice as she sounded too deep but i understand they wanted to make her amazonian. i am not a fan of the suit though. makes her look like an anime character from sailor moon

i still do believe that paget brewster will be in a dc role maybe in throne of atlantis or something superman or batman related

It's all about connections. Actors know other actors who recommend more actors for roles.

Dana Delany got the role of Andrea Beaumont on Batman: Mask of the Phantasm because Arleen Sorkin recommended her and her performance later got her the job as Lois Lane. And Arleen Sorkin got her role as Harley Quinn due to her friendship with Paul Dini and because Harley was partially based off of her.

It's how the industry works. Some jobs are auditioned for, others you get through with your connections.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

BANNED

i can see that. i'm just saying that it's ironic how each cast of criminal minds are in each dc animated movies. now i'm expecting paget brewster to be in a dc role. i'm guessing it's aquaman's wife