Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Extraordinary Member

I'm going to give Leah Williams a pass this time. I mean, look at Duggan: he's normally a great writer, yet look at his Infinity War. It was such an awful mess.

Quote Originally Posted by True Believer Tony View Post

I was also confused at Bobby’s portrayal. One scene, he would be cold, describing their captives as “its” and joking about murder but then he would get mad when Moneta used a slur? Perhaps there’s more to it?
    Leah described that these are the "bad guys" in the world. They are in a sense "Nazis" and absolutely see those they are rounding up as disgusting but have their internal doubts because they never chose to be in this position (Nate put them there). Moneta however is a "brand new" person here. We don't know anything about her other than the fact she didn't (or did she?) exist prior to Nate's "snap." This means she's the most entrenched in this world and has the most extreme views. The entire concept of love and sex is alien to her. Everyone else will tackle memories or resurfacing feelings, and I suspect Moneta will be the one who ends up ratting people out or becoming a fairly scary villain by the end.

I feel like the Bobby comment is a hint of him sensing that something isn't quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    Same. While it was a nice "Wordy" Read, which I enjoy in comics. I'm kinda sick of even Utopian Mutant Apocalypses. Damn Is it wrong fir me to want the X-men to have an ACTUAL new direction?
    Not a "New" direction that leads to the same ****, over and over?
    How many different directions are they?

1. Mutants hunted and dystopia-They did that
    2. Mutant ruling and utopia-They did that
    3. Mutants living in the world they are kind of secret-They did that
    4. Mutants actively living in the world, not hiding-They did that

Every story in the X-men is a variation of one of these things. I mean I am with you on the different, I would love to see the X-men as the XSE again with UN badges acting like superheroes dealing with a mix of hate and fear but we always have to default back to X-men the revolutionaries fighting against the system. Give me a world where the X-men are see as heroes and love by some. Give me world where X-men are hated by other mutants because they get special treament and X-men deal with putting dangerous mutants away.Give me a world where they call the FF,Avengers and X-men to deal with a problem equally. Give me a world where the X-men are as likely to fight Dr Doom as they are to fight Magneto.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    How many different directions are they?

1. Mutants hunted and dystopia-They did that
    2. Mutant ruling and utopia-They did that
    3. Mutants living in the world they are kind of secret-They did that
    4. Mutants actively living in the world, not hiding-They did that

Every story in the X-men is a variation of one of these things. I mean I am with you on the different, I would love to see the X-men as the XSE again with UN badges acting like superheroes dealing with a mix of hate and fear but we always have to default back to X-men the revolutionaries fighting against the system. Give me a world where the X-men are see as heroes and love by some. Give me world where X-men are hated by other mutants because they get special treament and X-men deal with putting dangerous mutants away.Give me a world where they call the FF,Avengers and X-men to deal with a problem equally. Give me a world where the X-men are as likely to fight Dr Doom as they are to fight Magneto.
    I'm thinking more along the Sci-Fi hero type adventures. Go on missions to find the macguffin of power, which leads to the disccovery of a threat to a small village, which invokes Cthulu, only to discover that a young thief stumbled across the item and caused the problems without knowing it, but has some hint of taint which allows them to be discovered.

I'm a writer and publish adult comics, write Psylocke fan-fics, scripted 3 movies, and two world books, doing my own horror universe on Youtube and Reddit. I mean ideas for a variety of tales are always there.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    That's how I felt too, but I'd recommend listening to the Battle For The Atom podcast for some context. Your brain might jump from "lame in-joke" to "holy cow, this is pretty creepy."
    I did listen to the podcast, and I think Leah is very likable and I really wanted to like the issue. I can see glimmers of potential in what Leah was trying to convey. But both the art and dialogue were off. I do think future issues will be better. The podcast has me more excited about what happens when they finally realize how mind-controlled they were. But as a first issue that is supposed to entice readers, this was bad.

Extraordinary Member

I realized something while at work today: if these people barely have a concept about sex or romantic relationships, what about rape? Like if someone is raped, are they going to be punished as severely as someone who had a consented relationship? Or they going to be blamed?

I'm sure this won't come up, I rather hope it doesn't, but it still creeps me out.

Ugh. Yeah, creepy aspect of the world-building to think about.

My guess would be that the victim would be mindwiped to get all of that nasty carnal knowledge out of their head, and to keep them from polluting others with their trauma, but they probably wouldn't get a strike against them. For tge rapist, I expect the punishment would be harsher than just a strike.

Quote Originally Posted by magenta View Post
    I did listen to the podcast, and I think Leah is very likable and I really wanted to like the issue. I can see glimmers of potential in what Leah was trying to convey. But both the art and dialogue were off. I do think future issues will be better. The podcast has me more excited about what happens when they finally realize how mind-controlled they were. But as a first issue that is supposed to entice readers, this was bad.
    This issue really felt like a lot of set-up to me. I'd wager we don't get to really see how these characters really feel and act until the second issue. It's sort of like a cold-open into a TV show. Bobby being goofy at the beginning seems like his regular personality, and him on the job just shows the overwrite of X-Man on him... I liked the book, but think it's one of those that really won't get going until the next book.

Always love a Rahzzah cover though,

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/.../x-tremists-1/

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

i even like next gen more
    we can be heroes, just for one day