Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

The art is very inconsistent. I remember Jeanty drawing much better than this issue.

I thoiught I would like this book a lot more, but it was only ok. Some dialogues are rough

It was funny see Moneta react very childish to sex "kisses ewwwwwwwwwww". Nice detail on Bob calling Luke "it" as if they are forgetting they are dealing with people. They are losing empathy and start dehumanization.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Moneta isn't Williams' creation. She's a character of the plotrunners who assigned her to Williams' book. Don't know how much hand they had in the characterization, but yeah, I don't think we're supposed to like her. I think Williams outright called Moneta a neo nazi in a recent interview.
    I remember tim seeley saying that Moneta is his creation?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I remember tim seeley saying that Moneta is his creation?
    I mean - did Seeley create Unveil? Maybe the point is they're two halves of a whole or something.

Also, I'll be honest, so far I like this book more in concept than in practice. We'll see if that changes.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Moneta isn't Williams' creation. She's a character of the plotrunners who assigned her to Williams' book. Don't know how much hand they had in the characterization, but yeah, I don't think we're supposed to like her. I think Williams outright called Moneta a neo nazi in a recent interview.
    Whoever made her, I don't think we're supposed to like her much. Everyone else at least seems to try and humanize these victims, but Moneta can only stand around and talk about how gross sex is.

Maybe that's because of her powers and that she's the one who mostly has to peer into people's minds and see them having sex, but it all just comes across as her being very immature and almost silly.

Her design is also rather plain and her powers are rather gross. A Scrappy if I ever saw one.

Omega Level Member WhitePhoenix's Avatar

Absolutely hated it... Didn’t live up to it’s name or hype, nor did Leah’s writing. Everyone here hyped her up so much, and was super stoked for this title. Only for it to fall faceflat while being difficult to get through, HATED that dumb wax paper “joke” kept dragging on. So over Moneta and Jean Paul’s constant French, it just didn’t seem to fit what it was made out to be. As much as I want to drop this extremely boring book, will stick it out just to see how this pregnancy thing goes.
    Last edited by WhitePhoenix; 02-27-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    This book I didn’t enjoy reading at all. I pretty much hated everyone’s interactions. Bobby and the cookie sheet thing was awful. I didn’t get it and don’t think that it was even remotely amusing. I didn’t like this book compared with all the others.
    I would say its the weakest of the AoX books and Williams ran that baking joke into the ground

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix View Post
    Absolutely hated it... Didn’t live up to it’s name or hype, nor did Leah’s writing. Everyone here hyped her up so much, and was super stoked for this title. Only for it to fall faceflat while being difficult to get through, HATED that dumb wax paper “joke” kept dragging on. So over Moneta and Jean Paul’s constant French, it just didn’t seem to fit what it was made out to be. As much as I want to drop this extremely boring book, will stick it out just to see how this pregnancy thing goes.
    She mostly just gets hyped up by X-Men Twitter.

I liked some interactions, mostly Jubilee and Iceman (despite the horrible joke that lasted forever). But this felt so decompressed and it had so little weight. The idea of the book is great, but I don't think it is at the same quality as presented in the alpha issue.

And the art was horrible. I can't think this mini is going to get much better, because the art just kills it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    She mostly just gets hyped up by X-Men Twitter.
    and this board

Astonishing Member

I feel like the joke about baking sheets and wax paper is actually relevant to the plot. It's a metaphor for the entire situation. The characters(represented by the baking pans) have been turned into something they're not(wax paper) to suit X Man's weird, sexless utopia.

Why would Jubilee "use the facilities" in the shrubbery when she could just use the bathroom inside the house? She's not that much of a slob, is she?

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Why would Jubilee "use the facilities" in the shrubbery when she could just use the bathroom inside the house? She's not that much of a slob, is she?
    I doubt she was telling Bobby the truth, she was most likely doing something she could get away with if easily hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I doubt she was telling Bobby the truth, she was most likely doing something she could get away with if easily hidden.
    I was just confused since she was only gone for half a page. It seemed like it was done just so she'd have her own separate "OMG, this girl is pregnant?!" reaction.

Omega Level Member WhitePhoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    and this board
    DEFINITELY this board, mostly Emma fans.

Just listened to Leah on some podcast, she sounds sweet and is really upselling it. Hope the following issues get better, cause this first issue just wasn’t doing it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I feel like the joke about baking sheets and wax paper is actually relevant to the plot. It's a metaphor for the entire situation. The characters(represented by the baking pans) have been turned into something they're not(wax paper) to suit X Man's weird, sexless utopia.
    Maybe you're right, but the dialogue still felt very detached from the situation.

A lot of writers have a bad issue or two, so hopefully we can see some improvement next issue.

Williams has an interesting premise going for her and the pregnancy aspect is enough to keep many of us interested, so hopefully something can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Jubes is up to something. She was definitely freaked out by Bobby dehumanizing their target and was definitely annoyed by Moneta's fanaticism.

What she was up to, who can day, but she's up to something.

I thought that it was Williams who created Moneta. But yeah, I still believe that Williams decided to use her as the "scrappy" of the team, I seriously doubt that we wont see a likable characterization in her. As Anduniel said, in a recent interview Williams called Moneta a deep follower of X-man's teachings.