Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm re-reading it right now! It was one of the best series of the early 2000s. It was great to FINALLY see the JSA (and Infinity, Inc) being treated with respect after being abused for a long while leading up to this. They worked really hard to recuperate certain characters and I appreciated that a lot - Hourman (Rex) was given a happier ending, Johnny Thunder also got a happy ending, Hector Hall was brought back, the Hawks were brought back, Alan Scott got his Green Lantern name back after being "Sentinel", Fury was eventually brought back, etc. Even Inifinity, Inc characters who took heel turns weren't killed off, but rehabilitated (Obsidian, Brainwave). Even non JSA characters had damage reversed, like Hawk & Dove, who were destroyed by chance in Armageddon, 2001.

The lead-up series set in 1945, JSA Returns, was also a really great series.

I had some beefs with it -- a big one, I loved Hector Hall as Dr Fate, but I feel he wasn't really developed, and he got a shitty ending at the end of it all, along with poor Fury.
    Last edited by ultradav; 04-04-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    . . . The lead-up series set in 1945, JSA Returns, was also a really great series.
    I'm assuming you're referring to the 1999 All-Star Comics #1- #2 and the various one-shots (National Comics #1; Smash Comics #1; Adventure Comics #1; Thrilling Comics #1; etc.) that took place in-between those two issues?

Very perceptive!

Extraordinary Member

I'm always curious as to why Johns gets credit for creating this book. Was he involved behind the scenes before coming on as a co-writer with Goyer?

I always give credit to James Robinson and David Goyer for creating the book. And while I see Johns' hand in the mid-issues, Goyer still seems to be stirring the ship to a degree. It's only when you get past the Return of Hawkman that I start seeing Johns taking a greater control of the book.

Well, Robinson was only on the first five issues. Yes, he did create the book, but he didn't really control the direction that it took. That said, I don't think Johns really gets credit for creating it. I just think people think of Johns because he was the most consistent writer on the title. He wrote or co-wrote issue 5-77 and then 1-26 of the follow up series. I don't really want to speculate what Johns was responsible for and what Goyer did but most of JSA feels more like what I'd expect from Johns rather than Goyer.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I loved it. I just wish we would have had more Hippolyta in it. Or they could have brought Lyta back into the fold.

Also, I really didn’t like Stargirl or JJ Thunder in the group. I wish they would have formed their own Infinity Inc., instead of being on the home team.
    One of the few times I disliked Courtney was when she turned down Young Justice membership because "she was already on the JSA (and was to important for the "kids table"), when YJ had heroes like Robin and Superboy with years more experience than she did.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Well, Robinson was only on the first five issues. Yes, he did create the book, but he didn't really control the direction that it took. That said, I don't think Johns really gets credit for creating it. I just think people think of Johns because he was the most consistent writer on the title. He wrote or co-wrote issue 5-77 and then 1-26 of the follow up series. I don't really want to speculate what Johns was responsible for and what Goyer did but most of JSA feels more like what I'd expect from Johns rather than Goyer.
    I guess the reason I give Goyer so much credit for the direction of JSA is because I saw a huge decline in quality (IMO) after he became more involved in film screenwriting and less on the book. Which meant, to me, that Johns had fully taken over. I didn't care for the direction the book took at this point.

The first 15 issues are by far the best.
    16 thru 25 and the return of Hawkman were excellent, especially the Johnny Sorrow issues.
    Stealing Thunder was pretty good, although I didn't care for the change in art.
    After that, it went down fast (again IMO).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Also enjoyed the Infinite Crisis tie-in issues towards the end (#82-87) where we had brief "returns" of Golden Age Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

I found it weird how courtney was the only one who could touch the gentlemen ghost because she was a virgin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    One of the few times I disliked Courtney was when she turned down Young Justice membership because "she was already on the JSA (and was to important for the "kids table"), when YJ had heroes like Robin and Superboy with years more experience than she did.
    Probably the real reason she turned them down was because she had the hots for Al (Atom Smasher).

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Probably the real reason she turned them down was because she had the hots for Al (Atom Smasher).
    Or it could have been more a Kitty Pryde "X-Men vs. New Mutants" thing, too.
    When you've been accepted into the main group, switching to a younger group with less name recognition may feel like a backwards step, which is especially rough on somebody who's still transitioning from being a "kid" to wanting to be considered more responsible / more like an adult.

Young Justice is a step down from the JSA. You can't fault her for that.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Young Justice is a step down from the JSA. You can't fault her for that.
    I mean she's part of the OG superteam with The Flash, Green Lantern, etc. I can't see how hanging with the sidekicks is anything but a lateral move at best.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I mean she's part of the OG superteam with The Flash, Green Lantern, etc. I can't see how hanging with the sidekicks is anything but a lateral move at best.
    And yet the Ray - who operated on the League for a while - was happy to hang with the kids, likewise Red Tornado, who at least pre-Crisis was a peer of the OG JSA considered them worth his time, whereas Courtney, a green member who is basically a Tagalong Kid who had limited solo success against a few C-listers, dismisses them as worthless.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or it could have been more a Kitty Pryde "X-Men vs. New Mutants" thing, too.

When you've been accepted into the main group, switching to a younger group with less name recognition may feel like a backwards step, which is especially rough on somebody who's still transitioning from being a "kid" to wanting to be considered more responsible / more like an adult.
    And Kitty's was annoying then as well. Contrast Jubilee who had also had some time with the X-Men, agreed to give Generation-X a go after someone (Prof X? Banshee? Wolverine? Don't recall, made a case that she could give them the benefit of her experience, which she did at least occassionally). Thus demonstrating the ability to be more responsible, rather than merely more "important".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    I'm re-reading it right now! It was one of the best series of the early 2000s. It was great to FINALLY see the JSA (and Infinity, Inc) being treated with respect after being abused for a long while leading up to this.
    I find myself re-reading it about every year. It was such an exciting book with characters from all generations that I loved. Wish we could get it revived someday, but I think that is just wishful thinking.