Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Shazam #3 Discussion/Spoilers

I think this might be my favorite issue so far.

Johns has been teasing the appearances of multiple Magiclands that are connected to the classic Captain Marvel mythos since the beginning but here is where we get a bigger glance of what that idea means. The Funlands prove to be an interesting setting which is heavily related to the to theme of childhood the series always had and also brings a bigger sense of mystery about its own nature and the concept that the Shazam family actually represents.

And of course, there's the arrival to the other Magiclands that promises even bigger things. The Wildlands seems to be connected to Tawky Tawny, the Darklands might be a hint to the appearance of Black Adam and his own family, and the Monsterlands are related to the Mr. Mind and his monsters which is a big hint to the Monster Society of Evil and I love how John is integrating them in a way that makes much more sense than the older "Mr. Mind is an alien" idea.

Art was good but I must say that I prefered the Mangaesque style that Mayo Sen Naito brings since is much more fitting to the younger tone the book requires.

Overall, one of the best reads this week. Love this book.

King Kid has the right feel for a Captain Marvel villain, that sort of fairy tale vibe. He's making a good villain so far.

The art is flat out incredible. Eaglesham puts so much work into each page. The secondary art was really nice too.

Astonishing Member

Agreed, Shazam has been killing it in regards to booth the feel and art. The happier nature while balancing drama is fantastic, and both artist are on top of their game. I'm only picking up a few books from DC, but this still is one of my favorite comic book series in comics currently.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I have really been enjoying this so far. The level of world building that Johns brings to every title he takes over is always amazing to see.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Liked this better than the last issue. I'm exited to see the next two realms, but I'm kind of eager for this arc to be over so we can get to the more interesting subplots brewing in the background (Billy's dad and the Monster Society). Still one of my most anticipated titles every month.

Speaking of the Society, that cover really had nothing to do with the content, did it?

yes, same here, i'm glad with the world building that geoff is doing. it's cool that shazam has it's niche in the dcu.

with the movie coming soon, this title is a fan's dream come true.

It reminded me of Fables - which is a good thing since we're exploring magical lands

Haven't been on these boards much lately - is Mary no longer Billy's twin?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    It reminded me of Fables - which is a good thing since we're exploring magical lands

No sadly not she's turning 18 and billy is supposedly 15 even though he was 15 when he first got there and in issue 1 it said that he was there for a year so he should have been 16

Agreed, great book. Though its a tad confusing to reconcile with the stuff going on over in Justice League Dark regarding all things magic in the DCU.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post

Reading #2 and then this issue I definitely got a "Cubs in Toyland" vibe, and I mean that as a compliment -- that was easily my favorite second half Fables arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Agreed, great book. Though its a tad confusing to reconcile with the stuff going on over in Justice League Dark regarding all things magic in the DCU.
    how is jl dark? is there any conflict with the world building being done in shazam?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    how is jl dark? is there any conflict with the world building being done in shazam?
    I'm a few issues behind, but it is pretty fun due to its membership of Zatanna, Constantine, Swamp Thing, Man-Bat & Detective Chimp being led by Wonder Woman. Thus far, I don't see any conflict between what JLD has been doing and what Shazam is establishing.

Quote Originally Posted by SelinaK12 View Post
    No sadly not she's turning 18 and billy is supposedly 15 even though he was 15 when he first got there and in issue 1 it said that he was there for a year so he should have been 16
    They should just go ahead and say that Mary's abusive parents actually adopted her as a baby - and she's really Billy's older sister.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Like most of Tynion's works, an overall mixed bag.

At times it seems like it has the right direction with interesting ideas and worldbuilding but they get ultimately derailed by terribly overwritten narration and at times, awkward characterization.

Although it doesn't really have much to do with the current Shazam book thankfully.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    King Kid has the right feel for a Captain Marvel villain, that sort of fairy tale vibe. He's making a good villain so far.

The art is flat out incredible. Eaglesham puts so much work into each page. The secondary art was really nice too.
    I don't like what Johns has done with the Marvel Family, but Eaglesham's work is hard for me to pass on.