Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What I'm hearing is some cool, updated world building/retconning that retains some of the original flavor while bringing some new and exciting concepts. The only thing I dislike (aside from the name thing but what're ya gonna do, y'know) is the new look of Cap. I prefer the old costume, maybe modernize his physical look by removing some of the Fred MacMurray-ness in his face. I don't like the crackling energy from his chest.

Mary will always remain a favorite.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I'm a few issues behind, but it is pretty fun due to its membership of Zatanna, Constantine, Swamp Thing, Man-Bat & Detective Chimp being led by Wonder Woman. Thus far, I don't see any conflict between what JLD has been doing and what Shazam is establishing.
    thanks.

... and wonder woman leading jld... ok, i guess...

One of the most enjoyable titles DC is publishing right now.

A lot of writers could take notes from Johns' playbook in terms of characterization, juggling a lot of characters, mining continuity for what it's worth and looking at it/introducing it in a new way, introducing new characters and concepts, and world-building within the mythos of the title.

I care about Billy, Mary, and the kids for the first time, really. And I'm curious about their parents and Mr. Mind and the Magiclands, etc.

I can only imagine how he'll reinvent the Monster Society of Evil, Mr. Atom, Nyola, and hopefully introduce Isis, Osiris, and Sobeck again.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    One of the most enjoyable titles DC is publishing right now.

A lot of writers could take notes from Johns' playbook in terms of characterization, juggling a lot of characters, mining continuity for what it's worth and looking at it/introducing it in a new way, introducing new characters and concepts, and world-building within the mythos of the title.

I care about Billy, Mary, and the kids for the first time, really. And I'm curious about their parents and Mr. Mind and the Magiclands, etc.

I can only imagine how he'll reinvent the Monster Society of Evil, Mr. Atom, Nyola, and hopefully introduce Isis, Osiris, and Sobeck again.
    I loved the Black Adam family! Didn't care for how that all ended. Hopefully we'll see some "Rebirth" to it.

I'm enjoying Shazam so far, but: I'm not sure if someone talked about this somewhere already, but whats up with Johns and number 7? In his GL run he created 7 Lantern Corps, during Aquaman's run he was setting up Seven Seas event that unfortunately (or fortunately?) never materialized and now we have 7 Magic lands. And by the looks of it he is going to do similar thing to what he did with GL - assign existing characters to one of those magic lands.

And I think that magical number that sorts things works in Shazam's context, but man, this really gives me "been there, done that" vibes even if characters are different.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm enjoying Shazam so far, but: I'm not sure if someone talked about this somewhere already, but whats up with Johns and number 7? In his GL run he created 7 Lantern Corps, during Aquaman's run he was setting up Seven Seas event that unfortunately (or fortunately?) never materialized and now we have 7 Magic lands. And by the looks of it he is going to do similar thing to what he did with GL - assign existing characters to one of those magic lands.

And I think that magical number that sorts things works in Shazam's context, but man, this really gives me "been there, done that" vibes even if characters are different.
    Yeah, he really overdoes it with the number 7. He never did it with the Flash or JSA. But GL, Aquaman and Shazam doing it back to back, as enjoyable as they all are individually, is a but much.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, he really overdoes it with the number 7. He never did it with the Flash or JSA. But GL, Aquaman and Shazam doing it back to back, as enjoyable as they all are individually, is a but much.
    probably he gets carried on at times, but if DC had more writers like him, it would be the very best. His run's are the gold standard, not easy for others who follow him to reach his levels.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

Arc numbers are a very DC thing though .

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    probably he gets carried on at times, but if DC had more writers like him, it would be the very best. His run's are the gold standard, not easy for others who follow him to reach his levels.
    No argument there overall. But he can have his weak spots. The over use of 7-stuff isn't weak just kind of...repetitive. And his JL and Superman stuff (plus giving Wonder Woman the brother nobody asked for) are underwhelming, but his first Flash run, JSA, GL, Aquaman and Doomsday Clock are all top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Arc numbers are a very DC thing though .
    Does it really count as an "arc number" if there is (seemingly) no unifying plan to bring the three franchises together?

Does it really count as an "arc number" if there is (seemingly) no unifying plan to bring the three franchises together?
    I assume it's thematic .

I wonder if Hoppy the Marvel Bunny will show up in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
    With the way the series is progressing, without a doubt.

By far my favorite title DC is putting out at the moment. It’s light hearted, it’s fun, and Johns continues to build on the mythos of the character while making us care about the new elements he has added.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Always Rakzo

Johns does get a bit repetitive with the kind of worldbuilding he uses admitedly but he also knows to develop it in a way that feels appropriate for the respective series he works on. This issue alone felt like a classic fairy tale story that can perfectly fit in Shazam's world.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
    He already did in the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I assume it's thematic .
    It may just be repeating an (admittedly successful) gimmick

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Johns does get a bit repetitive with the kind of worldbuilding he uses admitedly but he also knows to develop it in a way that feels appropriate for the respective series he works on. This issue alone felt like a classic fairy tale story that can perfectly fit in Shazam's world.
    Yeah, it especially works here in the context of a magical character. And of course there would be seven rainbow corps.
    If he ever works on Wonder Woman extensively, I wonder if we will see seven lost Amazon tribes. (though that wouldn't be the worst thing to happen).