Page 129 of 573 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 8586
    Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Meanwhile, ones dead, another one got possessed and almost died, one is now a monster that can no longer interact with society. It's a tad bit annoying. Even Skye's mom got eviscerated. I'm surprised May hasn't gotten maimed.
    She may not have, but Agent of 13 (also a POC) did while wearing May's face! ;D

Honestly, though, I think this is just a consequence of there being so many prominent POC on the show in the first place. They did kill off Lucy Lawless's character. And Victoria Hand. And Ward's family. And Ward's insane mentor. And various other minor white characters-of-the-week.

So I don't think it's only on the POC (unless, of course, one or more of those deaths I mentioned get reversed).
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    She may not have, but Agent of 13 (also a POC) did while wearing May's face! ;D

Honestly, though, I think this is just a consequence of there being so many prominent POC on the show in the first place. They did kill off Lucy Lawless's character. And Victoria Hand. And Ward's family. And Ward's insane mentor. And various other minor white characters-of-the-week.

So I don't think it's only on the POC (unless, of course, one or more of those deaths I mentioned get reversed).
    Oh, AOS' treatment on LGBT characters has been terrible as well, but that's a different topic.

What bothers me more about Trip's death, and Mac's almost death, and Raina's transformation is that even before theses moments, none of them were really developed except Raina. You could clearly tell that the focus was more on characters like Skye, Fritz, and even Hunter or whatever his name is.

They're just there to get knocked down. Props. Except Raina, but now she's a monster. And the fact that the show doesn't have THAT big of a budget says she's not lasting long either.

You can tell which characters are expendable, and which ones aren't. And unless proven otherwise, there are only two unexpendable POC characters: Skye and May.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

BANNED

So what, black character aren't allowed to die or be in danger?

Oh, AOS' treatment on LGBT characters has been terrible as well, but that's a different topic.

What bothers me more about Trip's death, and Mac's almost death, and Raina's transformation is that even before theses moments, none of them were really developed except Raina. You could clearly tell that the focus was more on characters like Skye, Fritz, and even Hunter or whatever his name is.

They're just there to get knocked down. Props. Except Raina, but now she's a monster. And the fact that the show doesn't have THAT big of a budget says she's not lasting long either.

You can tell which characters are expendable, and which ones aren't. And unless proven otherwise, there are only two unexpendable POC characters: Skye and May.
    Well, my point is, bad things have happened to plenty of white characters, too.

This show has introduced a lot of POC. It does seem to be killing off or maiming a lot of them at an alarming rate. But would you rather they wouldn't have bothered trying to include POC in the first place? If this show had aired twenty years ago or even ten years ago, I get the feeling the cast would've been all white, with maybe a token black character.

SHIELD's world is dangerous world and sometimes people have to pay the consequences, even if I'm hoping they introduce new POC to make up for the ones they're destroying.

I'd be interested to see if your prediction that Raina's not long for this world (due to the special FX budget) comes true. Alternatively, they could have her figure out how to appear human, which would reduce the budgetary load, too.

I also find it interesting to note that of your two indispensable POC, one of them (May) was originally some younger, blond woman before they rewrote the part.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderByte View Post
    So what, only white characters and two asian women are allowed to be important/main characters?
    Last edited by Double 0; 03-02-2015 at 12:34 PM.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Ultimate Member

No, but when you've got exactly three prominent black characters on the show, and their fates are as follows:

-One gets maimed and turned into a cyborg who needs to "redeem" himself in a cliché storyline and is also nowhere to be seen this season.
    -One gets used as a cliched "the black guy might die first" fakeout one episode, and then actually dies like two episodes later in an actual cliche "the black guy dies first" situation. Also his death proved to be completely pointless.
    -And the other one is possessed and used as another cliched "the black guy may die first" fakeout right after the first one.

Then yes, a pattern starts to emerge, and not a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No, but when you've got exactly three prominent black characters on the show, and their fates are as follows:

-One gets maimed and turned into a cyborg who needs to "redeem" himself in a cliché storyline and is also nowhere to be seen this season.
    -One gets used as a cliched "the black guy might die first" fakeout one episode, and then actually dies like two episodes later in an actual cliche "the black guy dies first" situation. Also his death proved to be completely pointless.
    -And the other one is possessed and used as another cliched "the black guy may die first" fakeout right after the first one.

Then yes, a pattern starts to emerge, and not a good one.
    Ding ding ding! Exactly.

Hey, if the replacement black guy situation in Walking Dead can be called out, this one can be too.

BANNED

So what, only white characters and two asian women are allowed to be important/main characters?
    Pretty sure Mack is a main character since it's, you know, an ensemble.

Also it's not 'black guy will die first' if he isn't, you know, the first one to die.

Pretty sure Mack is a main character since it's, you know, an ensemble.
    Oh I'm sure many thought the same about Trips till he, you know, died with barely any character development.

Also it's not 'black guy will die first' if he isn't, you know, the first one to die.
    Subsection of the cliche; "sacrificial black guy"

Ding ding ding! Exactly.

Hey, if the replacement black guy situation in Walking Dead can be called out, this one can be too.
    And I say it's just a coincidence.

There is no "replacement black guy situation" to call out in The Walking Dead, either.

In both cases, there's such a large percentage of POC characters on those shows that some of them are bound to have bad things happen to them at some point -- right alongside all the white characters that get killed off, too.
    Prεtty Pεnny

Amazing Member

No, they can't if you kill them you are racist for some weird extremist.
    They will said the black guy died first because they will ignore the death of Idaho and the death of Xena this season.

If somebody become a monster, they will said that it is because of his color but they will probably ignore Hulk or the Abomination or the leader.
    And scottish, british, asian people are all considered as whites americans, lack of diversity for these extremists.

This show give us one of the first Half-Asian superheroine, gives us a lot of bad ass female agents, gives us a Black superhero last season.

"It’s funny to see people say it’s not an ethnically diverse cast,” she (Chloe Bennet) says. “This is the first show where two of the regulars are Asians of Chinese extraction.”

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    And I say it's just a coincidence.

There is no "replacement black guy situation" to call out in The Walking Dead, either.
    If you're willingly ignoring/deny the amount of memes and discussions brought up about the Walking Dead issue, then I see no point going any further about this AOS issue with you.

If you've honestly not heard about it, here's a guide

Ultimate Member

Oh you mean Xena the lesbian character who got killed off (and they didn't even want to call her a lesbian because they knew that they'd be criticized for killing off another lesbian character along with Victoria Hand last season). And was Deathlok a hero last season, cause you could have fooled me? I seem to recall him being on the bad guy's side most of the time.

Oh you mean Xena the lesbian character who got killed off (and they didn't even want to call her a lesbian because they knew that they'd be criticized for killing off another lesbian character along with Victoria Hand last season). And was Deathlok a hero last season, cause you could have fooled me? I seem to recall him being on the bad guy's side most of the time.
    Nah, clearly we're just delusional, or oversensitive. Or whatever trait that seems to always get throw at people who notice these problems. Like social critique is vile or something.

Amazing Member

Oh you mean Xena the lesbian character who got killed off (and they didn't even want to call her a lesbian because they knew that they'd be criticized for killing off another lesbian character along with Victoria Hand last season)
    Even though you'd only know they were Lesbian from the comics, there was no mention on the show either way about their sexuality.