Page 14 of 573 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114514 ... LastLast
    BANNED

So we finally got the real story on Ward (props to maczero who, if memory serves, made the closest guess, right down to him burning down the family home). But I still think having him be the scared, victimized kid who was groomed to be a monster is less interesting and compelling than having him be the black-hearted bully who spent years pretending to be a good guy only to have some of the role actually penetrate and stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukky View Post
    I really laughed with the "large file transfer" part.
    That was a good line. I also like the "hate fu" exchange between Skye and May. I esp. liked May's shout out to the Invaders when they were looking at Tripp's grandpa's WWII spy stuff.

I'm still a bit hazy on what legit SHIELD command knew re: Garrett being a cyborg. Seems unlikely that no one noticed. But, given that it was apparently something done to him outside of the auspices of SHIELD, it also seems unlikely they'd just take it in stride.
    Last edited by kalorama; 05-06-2014 at 09:47 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderByte View Post
    But not all of them were black.
    You know. Like Tripp is.

People act like it's wrong to assume the black guy who is the grandson of a Howling Commando might just be related to the black guy who was a Howling Commando.
    No one is acting like it's wrong. People are simply acknowledging the fact that it's not necessarily right either.

Moving on.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Hmm. The emotionally conflicted murderer isn't really doing it for me. Ward needs a better explanation for his behavior. But where he's going now is destined to end in death, sacrificing himself for the team. A bit trite. Was hoping for more.
    He's loyal to the guy who trained him and brought him into Shield, who made him capable of standing up to his brother.

Honestly, I think he'll have a great career as a bad guy. How many founding members on a team like this go bad and stay bad? The usual formula would be to have someone like Triplett do a few missions and then go bad.

Personally, I hope Ward gets kicked outta Hydra, but doesn't reunite with the team. Serves as a wild card

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    He's loyal to the guy who trained him and brought him into Shield, who made him capable of standing up to his brother.

Honestly, I think he'll have a great career as a bad guy. How many founding members on a team like this go bad and stay bad? The usual formula would be to have someone like Triplett do a few missions and then go bad.

Personally, I hope Ward gets kicked outta Hydra, but doesn't reunite with the team. Serves as a wild card
    huh? Did u mean ward

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    I don't like the idea of inhumans being seperated from the fantastic four.
    I would rather that Marvel had the rights to all their characters. But they don't and they have a mutant hole to fill. The Inhumans are the only option. And if you look at it like this. Bucky Barnes was Captain America for like two years before the first movie came out. They brought Steve back right before it. Doc Oct was Spider-Man for the same amount of time. What happened? What is happening in the Marvel Universe now? Inhumanity. The new Ms. Marvel. Inhumans are getting quite the bump.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    huh? Did u mean ward
    Nope. Team traitors are usually guys brought on last, do a few missions and then turn traitor. If the show followed the usual formula, Tripplett would have been the traitor.

Ward being the traitor, true and through, is fairly original.

dr. doctor

I have to applaud Fitz for knocking out Garrett's cybernetics with the EMP.

As for Skye and Raina, I'm thinking that they're Inhumans considering that GH 325 is Kree-derived and it would explain the "monsters" that destroyed that village.

My issue with Quinn's plan of attempting to sell Centipede to the military is that after the Hulk, Abomination, and all of the other attempts to recreate Cap failed, why would the army still be willing to invest in supersoldier tech?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dr. doctor View Post
    I have to applaud Fitz for knocking out Garrett's cybernetics with the EMP.

As for Skye and Raina, I'm thinking that they're Inhumans considering that GH 325 is Kree-derived and it would explain the "monsters" that destroyed that village.

My issue with Quinn's plan of attempting to sell Centipede to the military is that after the Hulk, Abomination, and all of the other attempts to recreate Cap failed, why would the army still be willing to invest in supersoldier tech?
    If they can get reliable super soldiers, why wouldn't they? Look how Cap turned out.

As Quinn pointed out, his super-soldier tore through a compound wit more ease than an entire special forces team and half the cost.

BANNED

Because they still want super-soldiers. And with the Hulk, Thor, et al running around and the lingering memory of an alien invasion, they probably want them now more than ever.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

The military's always looking to become stronger and, besides:

If they don't, do they really want Quinn selling the tech to an enemy nation instead? Are they really willing to take that chance?
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    So we finally got the real story on Ward (props to maczero who, if memory serves, made the closest guess, right down to him burning down the family home). But I still think having him be the scared, victimized kid who was groomed to be a monster is less interesting and compelling than having him be the black-hearted bully who spent years pretending to be a good guy only to have some of the role actually penetrate and stick.

but that would never happen. the personality disorder you're describing is inflexible.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
    but that would never happen. the personality disorder you're describing is inflexible.
    I agree, it makes more sense that there was always something decent about Ward but that Garrett, through the rough survivalist training he put him through, taught him to suppress it as "weakness."

I mean, you can act like a black-hearted bully all you want, but it's unlikely that someone would actually grow to be good who didn't already have a kernal of goodness in them. Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is another example of this.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Incredible Member

Anyone accepting a show with cigarette lasers and flying cars really is in no place to cry foul if the show decided to try the reverse of the 'deep cover agent corrupted by his assignment' trope. Is a scientifically accurate depiction of sociopathy really worth drawing a line in the sand here?

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    I agree, it makes more sense that there was always something decent about Ward but that Garrett, through the rough survivalist training he put him through, taught him to suppress it as "weakness."

I mean, you can act like a black-hearted bully all you want, but it's unlikely that someone would actually grow to be good who didn't already have a kernal of goodness in them. Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is another example of this.
    Actually its more an example of how its pointless to act like someone growing a conscience the way kalorama suggested is too unrealistic for a show like this. Considering the whole point of the Spike storyline on Buffy was that he DIDN'T have a kernel of goodness in him when they started him on his road to redemption. He was literally soulless.
    Last edited by Kalen O.; 05-06-2014 at 08:38 PM.

BANNED

I wasn't describing a personality disorder. I was describing a personality.

Not everyone who does bad things has some kind of clinical diagnosis.
    Last edited by kalorama; 05-06-2014 at 08:49 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    I mean, you can act like a black-hearted bully all you want, but it's unlikely that someone would actually grow to be good who didn't already have a kernal of goodness in them.
    Who said anything about him "growing to be good"? I wasn't suggesting he pt on a cape and become a superhero. I just think the prospect of a guy who's spent his whole life trying to fight the world into submission being unexpectedly initiated into humanity by pretending to be a guy who cares about people is a more interesting character arc than a story about a guy who started out as someone who cared and had it beaten out of him, only to get a piece of it back.