Page 38 of 573 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138538 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by zhris View Post
    re; the Koenigs...

I know some people have put out the theory that Billy is a LMD... I think they Eddie was too. The Koenig isn't a specific LMD, but a whole line of them, designed to be caretakers of secret SHIELD bases. That would explain the physical similarity, the lanyard fascination, etc. Kinda like a JARVIS, Bunker Edition.
    There was no Eddie Koenig. It's Eric. In the comic books, he was a member of Fury's Howling Commandos. Here, he's just an Easter Egg.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Fury couldn't have all those black sites around with the Koenig brothers staffing them if he hadn't established some major shadow bank accounts as well. Presumably, the keys (or cube) to the mansion include the needed info like Swiss bank account and wire transfer numbers.

If Fury ever really does go down, wouldn't be surprised if it was Al Capone style, at the hands (or spreadsheets) of forensic accountants, and with charges of embezzlement and fraud rather than espionage or treason.
    Again, there's no reason to believe those sites are not owned by the US Government. You're assuming that Fury has stolen billions of dollars from the US or the UN or whatever (without anyone knowing) and socking it away and/or spending it with no accountablity. We know that there is a supervisory council -- is it reasonable that they would allow Fury to do this? Highly unlikely, in my view. But maybe you're right. The writers are not necessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Was anybody else dissapointed that he just yelled a little at Fury and then sort of forgot to ask about the dead blue giant alien?
    They were kind of busy at the time. Do you really think Coulson should have wasted time on venting?

Sandy Hausler

BANNED

You asked for an explanation of why they wouldn't shoot him on sight.
    No I didn't. I never asked for an explanation of anything and never said anything about them shooting him.

The answer to that question really is, regardless of whether they'd be justified in doing so, that they're not willing.
    There is no answer, because I never asked a question. I made a statement/observation.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    It's nothing like what happened in POI for the same reason it's nothing like what happened with Black Widow, because there were never issues of personal trust and betrayal involved in either case like there are in AOS.

Look, it might be different if Big SHIELD still existed and the whole thing was being micromanaged by bureaucrats whose only concern is the bottom line. The suits in corner offices who never set foot in the field might be willing to look at Ward as a usable asset and nothing more. But Big SHIELD is gone. For all intents and purposes, SHIELD is Coulson, May, Skye, Fitz, Simmons, and Tripplett, and they all have ample reason to stick a knife in Ward's eye if they ever see him again outside of a cell.
    But hey, feel free to continue making up stuff I didn't say then responding to it like I did. I don't mind. Really.
    Last edited by kalorama; 05-15-2014 at 10:42 AM.

BANNED

I wonder if the show will get any Emmy consideration...obviously not a major award, but Id take a creative one

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Again, there's no reason to believe those sites are not owned by the US Government. You're assuming that Fury has stolen billions of dollars from the US or the UN or whatever (without anyone knowing) and socking it away and/or spending it with no accountablity. We know that there is a supervisory council -- is it reasonable that they would allow Fury to do this? Highly unlikely, in my view. But maybe you're right. The writers are not necessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Sandy Hausler
    Unless SHIELD ran a version of Operation: Swordfish. Set up cover businesses that, for whatever reason, became ludicrously profitable. Granted, squirreling away such profits would still be misappropriation, but it might explain how an agency might establish an off-the-books slushfund. Heck the council might have secretly approved development of a don't-tell-us-what-it-is discretionary fund so that they had plausible deniability should SHIELD get caught running black ops that were as necessary as they were illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    What irritated me most about the show, irrationally enough, was why a box filled with air was sitting underwater.
    Especialy a box designed to use in aircraft

Expecting a tV or Comics writer to understand middle school physics is demanding a bit much

Quote Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
    I really don't see any problems with redeeming Ward since in comics every hero has gone through a phase of morally grey. Cap was an ******* in AvX, Iron Man did some really questionable things in Civil War and Scarlet Witch did some really awful things, yet they are all considered to be heroes now. And Namor has been a supervillain multiple times. So redeeming Ward won't be impossible and Loeb pretty much already confirmed that that's where they're heading with him in the future which was kind of disappointing, they didn't have to flat out reveal it.
    The Scarlet loon and Iron thug are considered by some to be heroes now

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    yes, those crates are designed to fit in different SHIELD vehicles...air, space, submersible, so they are all self contained
    But why would it sink? those requirements would mean that it is as light as possible and even heavy steel cargo containers float.

BANNED

because...tv drama

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Again, there's no reason to believe those sites are not owned by the US Government. You're assuming that Fury has stolen billions of dollars from the US or the UN or whatever (without anyone knowing) and socking it away and/or spending it with no accountablity. We know that there is a supervisory council -- is it reasonable that they would allow Fury to do this? Highly unlikely, in my view.
    They do not belong to the U.S. government. S.H.I.E.L.D. never reported directly to them, but to the World Security Council (alternate UN?). It was likely part of budget they received, but the spending on the secret bases weren't mentioned officially.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

BANNED

basically an alternate UN...in the comics, SHIELD is under the jurisdiction of the UN, but they probably can't use it in the show without getting official permission and all that

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I wonder if the show will get any Emmy consideration...obviously not a major award, but Id take a creative one
    I'd give them an Emmy for killing the bad guy during his comeback speech. That was hilarious!

Fictional Computer Hacker August_Gorman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    What irritated me most about the show, irrationally enough, was why a box filled with air was sitting underwater.
    Along the same lines (and this may have been explained with dialogue I missed) - what irritated me, irrationally enough, was the fact that the two trapped in said box survived the blowing open of the window and the filling of the box with water. They were 90 feet down, or otherwise couldn't even see the surface. Never mind decompression chambers. Wouldn't the pressure have killed them outright? (Also, I could be wrong about this. I know little to nothing about deep sea diving and such).
    ____

Currently Reading: The Amazing Spider-Man, Attack On Titan, Fight Club 2, On Guard We Stand, Ultimate End
    ____

Gus Gorman: "Hey, man!"
    Lorelei Ambrosia: "That's his last name. He likes to be called Superman."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by August_Gorman View Post
    Along the same lines (and this may have been explained with dialogue I missed) - what irritated me, irrationally enough, was the fact that the two trapped in said box survived the blowing open of the window and the filling of the box with water. They were 90 feet down, or otherwise couldn't even see the surface. Never mind decompression chambers. Wouldn't the pressure have killed them outright? (Also, I could be wrong about this. I know little to nothing about deep sea diving and such).

From Wikipedia,
    In recreational diving, a depth below about 30 metres (98 ft), where nitrogen narcosis becomes a significant hazard for most divers, may be considered a "deep dive"

So, no, pressure by itself wouldn't kill. Nitrogen narcosis, i.e. the bends, is a concern, but that's why Simmons was in a decompression chamber.