Page 39 of 573 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139539 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Humans can free dive to about 200 to 400 feet

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Again, there's no reason to believe those sites are not owned by the US Government. You're assuming that Fury has stolen billions of dollars from the US or the UN or whatever (without anyone knowing) and socking it away and/or spending it with no accountablity. We know that there is a supervisory council -- is it reasonable that they would allow Fury to do this? Highly unlikely, in my view. But maybe you're right. The writers are not necessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Sandy Hausler
    The Pentagon has billions of dollars unaccounted for. Or.... spent on a toilet seat.
    It could be easy to say that Fury took some money to make something he didnt exactly disclosed the reason.
    They probably know he spend the money but not what it was spent for. He probably asked for a budget that had a extra padding exactly for this.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    Especialy a box designed to use in aircraft

Expecting a tV or Comics writer to understand middle school physics is demanding a bit much
    But why would it sink? those requirements would mean that it is as light as possible and even heavy steel cargo containers float.
    Ok. I've sat this out as long as I can stand it.

I like something like physics in my fantasy too. I love the way Jim Butcher handles it in his Dresden books. That said:

If I can sit still for all the other stuff that goes on in this show (the Centipede Soldiers getting superduper by being pumped full of Extremis and Gamma Juice and I don't know what all else, a stick that so enrages people they can perform feats of strength that should either shred their tendons or snap their bones, a "Bus" the size of a cargo plane that can maneuver with more agility than a Harrier jump-jet, or a flying-f@#&ing Stingray), I figure that I loose my right to gripe about an airtight metal box that refuses to float the way that it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    because...tv drama
    ^Bingo!^ After all. If they didn't sink the box, how could Fitz make his tragic sacrifice?

BANNED

What's in the box?!? *cries*

Fitz' brain

BANNED

What's in the box?!? *cries*

Fitz' brain
    Dayummm....that made me laugh!

Amazing Member

I don't know if anyone read the newest Abandoned and Forsaken article on CBR but some background in it that makes for a pretty solid theory whose kid Triplett is. I guess Peggy Carter got together with Gabe Jones in the comics so it would make sense if Triplett was their descendent if they follow that same route. Also, talks about how much Peggy loved Paris hence why Triplett might have the French first name. And it makes for a great tie in with the new Agent Carter if they go that way.
    Last edited by Huskie; 05-15-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
    I don't know if anyone read the newest Abandoned and Forsaken article on CBR but some background in it that makes for a pretty solid theory whose kid Triplet is. I guess Peggy Carter got together with Gabe Jones in the comics so it would make sense if Tripplet was their descendent if they follow that same route. Also, talks about how much Peggy loved Paris hence why Tripplet might have the French first name. And it makes for a great tie in with the new Agent Carter if they go that way.
    That would truly make me smile.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

But why would it sink? those requirements would mean that it is as light as possible and even heavy steel cargo containers float.
    It's not just weight, it's a matter of weight for it's size. A pebble can be light weight but still sink to the bottom of the ocean. Whatever with and however they were designed, floating was not a feature.
    Humans can free dive to about 200 to 400 feet
    Maybe if you're trained for it but I'm guessing they are not.

30 metres (98 ft) Recommended recreational diving limit for divers.[1] Average depth at which nitrogen narcosis symptoms begin to appear in adults.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_diving

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    It's not just weight, it's a matter of weight for it's size. A pebble can be light weight but still sink to the bottom of the ocean. Whatever with and however they were designed, floating was not a feature.
    It's not really about size or weight, it's about density.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    It's not really about size or weight, it's about density.
    Fine: mass per unit volume (also known as weight for it's size ) and something about water displacement.

And that would be interesting is Trip was Peggy's grandson with Gabe Jones. Howard Stark would be his step-granddad when he and Peggy married making Triplet Tony's sort of nephew?
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 05-15-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Amazing Member

Howard Stark would be his step-granddad when he and Peggy married making Triplet Tony's sort of nephew?
    When did Howard Stark and Peggy ever marry? I thought when Steve was watching the old footage of Peggy it says she fell in love with one of the men Steve rescued (which lends suspicion to the fact that the guy could of been a Howling Commando)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Again, there's no reason to believe those sites are not owned by the US Government. You're assuming that Fury has stolen billions of dollars from the US or the UN or whatever (without anyone knowing) and socking it away and/or spending it with no accountablity. We know that there is a supervisory council -- is it reasonable that they would allow Fury to do this? Highly unlikely, in my view. But maybe you're right. The writers are not necessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Sandy Hausler
    Pentagon waste aside, international organizations have mislaid billions of dollars over the years. Why should SHIELD be immune to financial legerdemains of the sort so prevalent in real-world defense ministries, intelligence agencies and whatnot?

Incredible Member

Fine: mass per unit volume (also known as weight for it's size ) and something about water displacement.

And that would be interesting is Trip was Peggy's grandson with Gabe Jones. Howard Stark would be his step-granddad when he and Peggy married making Triplet Tony's sort of nephew?
    Yeah....that never happened. The only one Howard Stark was ever married to as far as we know was Maria Stark, Tony's mother, who died in the same accident as him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Yeah....that never happened. The only one Howard Stark was ever married to as far as we know was Maria Stark, Tony's mother, who died in the same accident as him.
    They never got married. They just fondued out of wedlock.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    They never got married. They just fondued out of wedlock.
    Well played.