Page 447 of 573 FirstFirst ... 347397437443444445446447448449450451457497547 ... LastLast
Results 6,691 to 6,705 of 8586

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    It doesn't matter why something does what it does, it only matters what it does. What AIDA does warrants destruction.
    Not really true at all as by this logic mentally ill people who commit murder would be treated the same as everyone else but they are not.

It's also important because unless you understand why something happened you end up repeating it. Because of Ultron every potentially sentient AI was considered a threat to be destroyed and Aida inevitably rebelled against a world that marginalized her and sought her destruction.

It became a self fulfilling prophecy and will continue to be one until that attitude is changed. That's a classic conflict in man vs machine stories and it's pretty obvious here.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Radcliffe's greatest sin was not reading his Asimov before creating a sentient android. Three Laws, man. Learn 'em. Live 'em.
    Actually, he DID give Aida similar programming to that. His mistake was explaining how, if one exists in the Framework, then they are still alive regardless of what happens to them in the real world. That's the loophole she used to kill him and take over.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Actually, he DID give Aida similar programming to that. His mistake was explaining how, if one exists in the Framework, then they are still alive regardless of what happens to them in the real world. That's the loophole she used to kill him and take over.
    If so, it must apply only to her own personal actions. She seemed completely comfortable with Fitz perma-killing Agnes, her guards trying to kill Simmons and Coulson, and Fitz torturing Radcliffe and Daisy.

The First Law says that a robot can't harm a human or through inaction allow one to come to harm. So Radcliffe seriously half-assed it with his own programming work.

Oh, no doubt. He didn't really think it through.

If so, it must apply only to her own personal actions. She seemed completely comfortable with Fitz perma-killing Agnes, her guards trying to kill Simmons and Coulson, and Fitz torturing Radcliffe and Daisy.

The First Law says that a robot can't harm a human or through inaction allow one to come to harm. So Radcliffe seriously half-assed it with his own programming work.
    Well I think at some point she became more than her programming if we presume her love for Fitz is real. She appears fully sentient know capable of exceeding her original programming.
    Last edited by remydat; 04-13-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Evil Fitz and Evil May are awesome, although in a creepy and disgusting way.

Also, LMD Ward please!
    It's great to see him back with the good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Not really true at all as by this logic mentally ill people who commit murder would be treated the same as everyone else but they are not.
    I wasn't talking about people. The words "something" and "it" might have clued you in.

AIDA is a messed-up pieces of equipment. If it was truly a free-willed AI, they wouldn't be harping on about its programming and the loopholes in it. It's too dangerous to mess with, with its Darkhold energy brain that no one can even understand without reading the Darkhold themselves. The trash heap is the only fitting place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Evil Fitz and Evil May are awesome, although in a creepy and disgusting way.

Also, LMD Ward please!
    It's great to see him back with the good guys.
    only if he goes bad again, an evil Ward is a fun Ward.

As much as I continue to enjoy Jemma's performance, I can't say I'm a fan of her pronunciation of "Aider". Did Fitz call her Ophelia? As in Ophelia Sarkissian?

Looks like Coulson needs more than just a brief memory jog to get back to what he once was. Things will be bad for Fitz when he realizes what he's done, and I think Mack is probably going to be shaken from all this as well.

The Framework is certainly an intricate thing if it can make this Ward simulation go through all these emotions! Can't wait to see Mace in action!

For Fitz, I think living with what he's done would be a fate worse than death. Simmons and Coulson watched him murder an innocent woman in cold blood.
    Well, virtual blood. It was heartbreaking to see Simmons proven wrong that Fitz isn't a killer, but I hope this doesn't create too much angst for them.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    only if he goes bad again, an evil Ward is a fun Ward.
    Ward as a villain was great, but what else could he do that he hasn't already done?
    I'm all for good Ward at this point.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Well, virtual blood. It was heartbreaking to see Simmons proven wrong that Fitz isn't a killer, but I hope this doesn't create too much angst for them.
    Well, you see the name "Whedon" in the credits. Of course it's going to create angst for them. More for him than her, though, I think.

Ward as a villain was great, but what else could he do that he hasn't already done?
    Too bad they'll have to leave him behind in the Framework, which will probably get shut down.

Concerned for Mack. I don't think he'll be able to leave his daughter, even if he knows she's not real. But once he knows she's just a simulation, it would never be the same again. Mack is the one who's going to be the angst-meister. This might break him. Which is why I hope he's the one who gets to dismember Aida with his shotgun axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    I wasn't talking about people. The words "something" and "it" might have clued you in.

AIDA is a messed-up pieces of equipment. If it was truly a free-willed AI, they wouldn't be harping on about its programming and the loopholes in it. It's too dangerous to mess with, with its Darkhold energy brain that no one can even understand without reading the Darkhold themselves. The trash heap is the only fitting place for it.
    Whether you consider her a person or not is irrelevant. She considers herself a person which is really all that matters. The fact Radcliffe and others see her as just equipment is exactly why she did what she did. She obviously views herself as something more than just equipment and her reaction here is simply a natural reaction when someone is faced with ignorance or bigotry.

And I think you are ignoring the evidence that she may have already exceeded her programming. She started out as just programming but it seems at some point she became something more. The conflict arose because Radcliffe and others were completely ignorant to that fact and treated her like equipment. Equipment doesn't get jealous or fall in love. Nor does it complain about being kept in the closet. No one really has the right to tell another rational being whether their life has value. It would be like saying Hitler gets to define whether Jews are human or subhuman. Sentience is not the exclusive purview of organic beings in the MU.

Once Aida reached the point of being able to question her own existence and develop feelings, you or Radcliffe no longer get the right to treat her as merely property or equipment. That is the inherent problem with creating an AI. At some point, there is the potential it ceases to be equipment or property and that point was obviously reached here because Aida rebelled against everyone treating her as a thing or equipment. If you aren't prepared for that potential eventuality then you probably shouldn't attempt to create an AI because it will just be a self fulfilling prophecy when the inevitable conflict arises.

There is no real difference here in how humans in the MU respond to mutants, inhumans or synethetic life. In the end, a faction of humanity always considers these beings a threat to their existence and manufacture a conflict that doesn't have to happen if they just treated them with respect.
    Last edited by remydat; 04-14-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Don't you realize that none of your arguments matter to someone who considers it an appliance that just looks and behaves very much like a human? I don't consider it to have more rights than a toaster.

Eh, "good" Ward was so generically handsome and good and therefore really bland, which made his evil revelation work so, so well and why he kept coming back. I'm afraid LMD Ward would be nice to look at but boring in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    Once Aida reached the point of being able to question her own existence and develop feelings, you or Radcliffe no longer get the right to treat her as merely property or equipment.
    That's very much up for debate. We will, eventually, develop sentient computers. I highly doubt they're going to be granted the rights of a flesh-and-blood person.