Page 53 of 573 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153553 ... LastLast

The obelisk's effect on people made me think it may end up being made into the Satan's Claw for Baron Von Strucker. It seems to be slowly killing and carbonising people who touched it. They hinted subtly with the amputated arm, the slow killing effect that sucks the life out of them and the line about how advanced cybernetics are these days. Plus isn't that the HYDRA motto about cutting off one limb and another two taking it's place? Izzy as a SHIELD agent lost her arm, maybe the arm that will replace holding the power of the Obelisk will be the head of HYDRA, Baron Von Strucker, last seen in the Captain America credits.
    Last edited by PocketfulofKryptonite; 09-24-2014 at 04:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Doctor Whitehall seemed important but I can't place him.
    He is the Hydra officer that got taken in by Agent Carter in 1945, at the start of teh episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    He is the Hydra officer that got taken in by Agent Carter in 1945, at the start of teh episode.
    Clearly, the episode begins and ends being focused on him. However in terms of the comics mythology, he is The Kraken.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Daniel_Whitehall_(Earth-616)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post
    The obelisk's effect on people made me think it may end up being made into the Satan's Claw for Baron Von Strucker. It seems to be slowly killing and carbonising people who touched it.
    It seems to turn people to stone, which reminds me of the Grey Gargoyle, not the Satan Claw.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBug View Post
    I hope Izzy isn't out for the count, though it sure looks like she is.
    According to the Red Skull, the Obelisk holds the solution to death. And you don't waste Lucy Lawless on a bitpart like this.

Astonishing Member

I did enjoy this episode, quite a bit. It was probably the best episode of AOS on a technical level for me.

I did not love the cinematography, but the darker tone definitely helped the quality of the writing. Although, I don't love any of the main cast I feel they're more tolerable than say the entire cast of NCIS. I do like Pasdar as Talbot though. That's really good casting on the part of Marvel. I wouldn't mind it if he crossed over to the films at some point, just to maintain some continuity. If just to get into the Avengers face at some point.

The VFX for Absorbing Man were surprisingly good, especially when compared to the VFX throughout the bulk of the previous season. I also liked the ways he used his powers, and I hope to see that expand with time. Thankfully, it looks like they're keeping him around for a bit longer than I would have expected. He did seem a little nerfed, compared to say how the Asgardians were presented in Season 1.

One thing for sure, I'm very curious to see what happens next. As a season opener, this episode did its job.

Fantastic Member

Great episode. The Fitz reveal was surprising. I liked how at first they made it seem like he was a vegetable for a few seconds before he actually responded to "Simmons" and then revealing she's not really there at all just clinched it.

Did anyone notice that the actor playing Absorbing Man was also Penny's old boyfriend, Kurt, from Big Bang Theory?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Great episode. The Fitz reveal was surprising. I liked how at first they made it seem like he was a vegetable for a few seconds before he actually responded to "Simmons" and then revealing she's not really there at all just clinched it.

Did anyone notice that the actor playing Absorbing Man was also Penny's old boyfriend, Kurt, from Big Bang Theory?
    Yeah, back when the casting was announced. He did a great job. Did absorbing man always get pleasure from the transformation?

Just read the spoilers for bobbie/adrianne palicki some people are going to be really pissed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Loved the first episode of Season 2. Very strong premier that really highlighted the new theme of this season. Absorbing Man really stole the show. It looks like he could be this season's new Deathlok. Plus, he adds an element of powerful visuals that the first season lacked in the early episodes. But my favorite part was the first scene with Peggy Carter and the Howling Commandos. That was a nice touch, having them show up and take on Hydra. I hope that means more flashbacks in future episodes since Peggy Carter is getting a show of her own. Overall, I think this season started out on a high note. With Age of Ultron coming out next spring, there's definitely plenty of room to grow.
    Damn! I missed the first 9 minutes of the show and thought "no big deal". Thankfully there's always VOD.

In any case, I enjoyed it. So are Xena and her team mercs or former SHIELD?

Really surprised that Ward has tried several times to kill himself. Didn't think he was the type. Hopefully, it's not over betraying Skye's trust. I'm going with he just doesn't know what to do with himself now that Garrett's dead.

I was really impressed with the effects for the Absorbing Man.

I really felt bad for Fitz (even before they revealed he was talking to an imaginary Simmons). Not sure what Coulsen can do with him. Leaving him at a proper medical care facility would lead to him being captured by Talbot or even Hydra. Yet there's something sad about keeping him on the team when he's having trouble handling his duties. And honestly, Simmons abandoning him is pretty cold. I'm not sure how having one of his closest friends around him was a bad thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by maczero View Post
    Damn! I missed the first 9 minutes of the show and thought "no big deal". Thankfully there's always VOD.

In any case, I enjoyed it. So are Xena and her team mercs or former SHIELD?
    Both, I think. She's former SHIELD, the others are mercs.

Really surprised that Ward has tried several times to kill himself. Didn't think he was the type. Hopefully, it's not over betraying Skye's trust. I'm going with he just doesn't know what to do with himself now that Garrett's dead.
    Maybe a bit of both? It adds a bit of creepiness to the character, which I think is helpful.

I was really impressed with the effects for the Absorbing Man.

I really felt bad for Fitz (even before they revealed he was talking to an imaginary Simmons). Not sure what Coulsen can do with him. Leaving him at a proper medical care facility would lead to him being captured by Talbot or even Hydra. Yet there's something sad about keeping him on the team when he's having trouble handling his duties. And honestly, Simmons abandoning him is pretty cold. I'm not sure how having one of his closest friends around him was a bad thing.
    The woman he loves, basically. And we don't know if she feels the same way. If she DOESN'T, that might explain things a bit....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Yeah, back when the casting was announced. He did a great job. Did absorbing man always get pleasure from the transformation?
    I don't think so, but that was an interesting wrinkle to add to the character.

Just read the spoilers for bobbie/adrianne palicki some people are going to be really pissed.
    The title of the episode makes me think that she's a deep cover SHIELD agent.

BANNED

These people are always pissed at this show no matter what.

Incredible Member

First look at Bobbi Morse, spoilers:
    the head of Hydra Security!
    end of spoilers SAY WHAT!?

She'll debut in the October 21st episode, spoilers:
    “A Hen in the Wolf House.”
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    First look at Bobbi Morse, spoilers:
    the head of Hydra Security!
    end of spoilers SAY WHAT!?

She'll debut in the October 21st episode, spoilers:
    “A Hen in the Wolf House.”
    end of spoilers
    Probably spoilers:
    an undercover thing, hence the title “A Hen in the Wolf House” but if it isn't, I'll still enjoy it. It does sound like she will become a hero, even if she starts out as HYDRA
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It seems to turn people to stone, which reminds me of the Grey Gargoyle, not the Satan Claw.

According to the Red Skull, the Obelisk holds the solution to death. And you don't waste Lucy Lawless on a bitpart like this.
    Well the Satan's Claw steals life from the people he holds into Strucker which would make it the solution to death.

As for Grey Gargoyle, I don't think he's ever been affiliated with HYDRA. If they can't use mutants because of FOX and the X-Men rights, having Gorgon get cybernetic eye implants with an alloy using the obelisk metal might be a way to work around that, we saw their cybernetic eyes they use in season 1.

As for Absorbing Man enjoying his transformations, before when he's became an energy being he's seemed to relish the power.

As for Fitz, seeing as how even the hallucination of Simmons was actually helping him solve problems, it seems as though he's actually competent technically but the hallucination is some sort of mental proxy he needs to filter his doubts through because she always helped him in the past. I will agree her walking out on the team and Fitz is pretty crappy of her but given the high stakes finale last season, maybe she decided she'd just rather go work at MIT or Oxford and the spy life is too dangerous for her.