Page 559 of 573 FirstFirst ... 59459509549555556557558559560561562563569 ... LastLast
Results 8,371 to 8,385 of 8586

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I wondered if he did his own singing.

un fact: the song in this episode was originally going to be "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits. Actor Jeff Ward practiced the song for a month before the producers changed the song. In addition, Jeff actually performed the vocals to this song. He recorded it at EP Jed Whedon's (who also happens to be a singer/songwriter) home recording studio.

Lyrics
    Hey, hey, hey, hey
    Ooh woh

Won't you come see about me?
    I'll be alone, dancing to disco baby
    Tell me your troubles and doubts
    Giving me everything inside and also out and
    Love's strange so ready or not
    Here I come, like a fox, running in with Thunderbud and
    Slow change may pull us apart
    Or if the night stabs into your heart, Daisy

Don't you, forget about me
    Don't, don't, don't, don't

Will you recognize me?
    Will you call my name and say it nicely
    Rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling
    Down, down, down, down

Hey, hey, hey, hey
    Ooh woh, Oh Yeah!

As you walk on by
    Will you call my name?
    As you walk on by
    Will you call my name?

Come on sing it with me!
    (Lala la la lala la la)
    Oh Oh Oh
    Don't Don't Don't, do not!
    Last edited by juan678; 07-10-2020 at 06:24 PM.

God, I absolutely hated the singing -- I had to fast forward through and, to my dismay, it ended up being some 3 minutes of the show. It's only further cemented my intense dislike of Deke, and nothing else (like his doting on both kid and adult Mack) could undo that damage.

Still though, a pretty good episode all around, and I'm glad that Deke's team got to meet some of the main team as well. Loved all the 80s throwbacks like the KITT sound effect, the cheesy b-movie gorey kills (as gore-filled as they can be on ABC, at least), the montage, and overall direction. And it was fantastic to see Mack and Yo-Yo reunited again. It's very interesting how the writing juxtaposed the deep dark pit of Mack's depression with the b-movie campiness of both the band and the murder bots -- the former is super serious and the latter is goofy fun. Yet the writing manages to balance both out without seeming out of place or interfering with the other.

I wonder how Mac managed to pay for that cabin, including heat and lights, unless it was a SHIELD safehouse (and so even then, wouldn't SHIELD of the era drop by for some reason?). I understand that Deke bought some groceries and attended to some financial needs for Kid Mack, but he started out just as temporally broke -- we know how Deke overcame that challenge, but not Mac and his ability to buy the first few packs of beer and the model cars. If Mack came prepared with 1970s money (which would still be good in 1982), he sure packed that cash in a rush considering his (perfectly understandable) mental state to rush out of the plane and ignore everyone and the world around him.

It's a small detail but it's something that kept bugging me. There was no indication that he worked like Deke and he was in no condition to do much else. Maybe it was a safehouse that came equipped with cash, but again, 1982 SHIELD would've come a-calling (tripped sensor, they need it themselves, routine checkup, whatever), and none of that is explained in the episode, I think.

The entire Deke Squad seemed rather nonchalant about the way Cricket's lady friend was killed almost in front of them. But that could be on par with 80s slashers anyway and/or the nature of the group. I'm pretty sure the main SHIELD team would've been horrified if they were in that situation.

Clark Gregg as Max Headroom, for some reason, reminded me that I think he'd do very well to play Gene Kelly one day in a biopic. The resemblance is uncanny.

Lastly, I looked up Tipper Newton, the actress that played Roxy. She was very good and her scene calling out Mack was well done. But imagine my surprise to find out that she's 5'10, when all this time I thought she was in the same ballpark as pretty much all the main women of the show: May, Daisy, Yo-Yo, and Jemma are all 5'4 - 5'6. Newton is closer to Bobbi (5'11) in this regard. But I suppose everyone looks short when they share scenes with that mountain of a man named Mack. (which brings me to another point -- this isn't a complaint, but even though many months passed by and there was no indication of Mack having the mental health to work out, he still maintained his physique and massive arms. His body is handling shelter-in-place better than the vast majority of us.)
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-11-2020 at 02:41 AM.

I guess we missed the classic 80s training montage for Mac.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I guess we missed the classic 80s training montage for Mac.
    We still got a Rambo/Commando style suit-up montage for Mack. That works for me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    God, I absolutely hated the singing -- I had to fast forward through and, to my dismay, it ended up being some 3 minutes of the show. It's only further cemented my intense dislike of Deke, and nothing else (like his doting on both kid and adult Mack) could undo that damage.

Still though, a pretty good episode all around, and I'm glad that Deke's team got to meet some of the main team as well. Loved all the 80s throwbacks like the KITT sound effect, the cheesy b-movie gorey kills (as gore-filled as they can be on ABC, at least), the montage, and overall direction. And it was fantastic to see Mack and Yo-Yo reunited again. It's very interesting how the writing juxtaposed the deep dark pit of Mack's depression with the b-movie campiness of both the band and the murder bots -- the former is super serious and the latter is goofy fun. Yet the writing manages to balance both out without seeming out of place or interfering with the other.

I wonder how Mac managed to pay for that cabin, including heat and lights, unless it was a SHIELD safehouse (and so even then, wouldn't SHIELD of the era drop by for some reason?). I understand that Deke bought some groceries and attended to some financial needs for Kid Mack, but he started out just as temporally broke -- we know how Deke overcame that challenge, but not Mac and his ability to buy the first few packs of beer and the model cars. If Mack came prepared with 1970s money (which would still be good in 1982), he sure packed that cash in a rush considering his (perfectly understandable) mental state to rush out of the plane and ignore everyone and the world around him.

It's a small detail but it's something that kept bugging me. There was no indication that he worked like Deke and he was in no condition to do much else. Maybe it was a safehouse that came equipped with cash, but again, 1982 SHIELD would've come a-calling (tripped sensor, they need it themselves, routine checkup, whatever), and none of that is explained in the episode, I think.

The entire Deke Squad seemed rather nonchalant about the way Cricket's lady friend was killed almost in front of them. But that could be on par with 80s slashers anyway and/or the nature of the group. I'm pretty sure the main SHIELD team would've been horrified if they were in that situation.

Clark Gregg as Max Headroom, for some reason, reminded me that I think he'd do very well to play Gene Kelly one day in a biopic. The resemblance is uncanny.

Lastly, I looked up Tipper Newton, the actress that played Roxy. She was very good and her scene calling out Mack was well done. But imagine my surprise to find out that she's 5'10, when all this time I thought she was in the same ballpark as pretty much all the main women of the show: May, Daisy, Yo-Yo, and Jemma are all 5'4 - 5'6. Newton is closer to Bobbi (5'11) in this regard. But I suppose everyone looks short when they share scenes with that mountain of a man named Mack. (which brings me to another point -- this isn't a complaint, but even though many months passed by and there was no indication of Mack having the mental health to work out, he still maintained his physique and massive arms. His body is handling shelter-in-place better than the vast majority of us.)

Yes, I still cannot stand Deke and this was the worst episode of the season for me. I wondered about Mack’s income too.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Dunno about Mack's money. The motorcycle was the only thing of value he had and even that wouldn't have covered... 20 months, did Jemma say?

Deke could have been covering his rent I suppose, but he still would need to eat and he was rejecting the food Deke brought him.

He could have had a job that we didn't see, although a) he would have no documentation and b) I think the point was that Mack was being a total recluse that whole time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Deke could have been covering his rent I suppose, but he still would need to eat and he was rejecting the food Deke brought him.
    Guess that's how he avoided gaining a zillion pounds, sitting on that couch for 20 months, if he didn't eat anything.

I fanwank that, as Director of SHIELD, Mack knew about some secret rainy-day fund somewhere that, since it still existed to be pillaged and support the lighthouse in the 21st century, Fury wouldn't miss if a few bucks for rent, electricity and beer-money went missing.

Assuming he even had to pay rent. It'd be funny if there was a freezer in the basement with bodies in it of people who'd shown up over the last 20 months to use this 'safe house,' because it wasn't a SHIELD safe house, it was a *Hydra* safe-house. "Yeah, Hail Hydra. Come downstairs, I'll patch you up." <Clobber.>

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Yes, I still cannot stand Deke and this was the worst episode of the season for me. I wondered about Mack’s income too.
    Maybe something about us Deke haters. Mack's sitch irritated me so much that it really ruined the episode for me. WTF was he doing to get so much beer and food? He looked too despondent to work legitimately. My goto fanon was that he was actually shaking down hoodlums in the streets at night like a vigilante.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Guess that's how he avoided gaining a zillion pounds, sitting on that couch for 20 months, if he didn't eat anything.
    He was clearly eating (pizza box on counter), just not the stuff Deke brought him.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 07-11-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Assuming he even had to pay rent. It'd be funny if there was a freezer in the basement with bodies in it of people who'd shown up over the last 20 months to use this 'safe house,' because it wasn't a SHIELD safe house, it was a *Hydra* safe-house. "Yeah, Hail Hydra. Come downstairs, I'll patch you up." <Clobber.>
    LOL okay THAT would be an interesting twist. Good job, Mack! Good job.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    I loved how the robots had the flashing red light and sound from the Battlestar Galactica Cylons.
    I was thinking Knight Rider.
    Sounds perfect.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Straight out of Chopping Mall.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Funny how we got a Max Headroom bit with Coulson after just getting one in "Harley Quinn" with Sy Borgman.

SO many 80s references here though - from "War Games" to "Weird Science", "The A-Team," "Short Circuit" and slasher films (not sure if there were any specifically referenced) etc. I'm sure I missed a few...
    Chopping Mall (the killer robots)
    Doctor Who ("Exterminate!")
    Road House (the roadhouse where the Deke Squad plays is called Swayze's)
    Commando (Mack's suit-up montage)
    Battlestar Galactica (the robots' moving eye-light)

I'm wondering how Deke got access to virtual Coulson. May said they saved his hard drive... I can certainly buy that his "memory" was being backed up frequently or in real time to a hard drive, but that hard drive had to be on the Zephyr, and therefore inaccessible to Deke and Mack in 1982-83.

Also, why did Sibyl build some half-assed hunter robots out of spare parts when she could have gone back a few minutes before Coulson blew up the ship and either a) stopped him or b) jumped forward to fight SHIELD in 1983?

I assume that's what she meant when she told Coulson that Chronicoms can't die. If you have time travel capability then you always exist somewhen, and you can always turn that somewhen into now.

Could it be that Fitz has gone back in the past to when and where the Chronicoms were first created, trying to stop it from ever happening? Because that would be awesome... only we'd also have to sacrifice Enoch, and the resulting time wave could leave the SHIELDers either non-existent themselves or stranded permanently in a totally different version of the universe.

I'm glad despite all the goofiness, they managed to give Mack a weighty story.

I thought it was pretty funny how Deke changed some of the words to "Don't You (Forget About Me)". I would've liked to hear his version of "Walk Like an Egyptian".

Those robots were really terrifying!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I thought it was pretty funny how Deke changed some of the words to "Don't You (Forget About Me)". I would've liked to hear his version of "Walk Like an Egyptian".
    Yeah, he clearly had no idea what the actual lyrics were, and just made stuff up. It was like an episode of 'Misheard Lyrics.'