Page 8 of 573 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108508 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Except that wasn't really Captain America's position. He wasn't against holding people responsible for their actions nor was he opposed to registration, per se. He had a problem with blanket, compulsory registration under threat of incarceration. The fact of the matter is, in the Marvel universe as structured, unregistered superheroes had been getting the job done for years. It only became an issue under Millar's ham-fisted attempt to "Ultimatize" the 616 universe and apply "real world" logic to it.
    Well, how about for the MCU? People with powers are now just emerging and people HAVEN'T been getting the job done for years. Some may, some won't. That might be interesting to explore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Well, how about for the MCU? People with powers are now just emerging and people HAVEN'T been getting the job done for years. Some may, some won't. That might be interesting to explore.
    They could explore the idea of registration in some form, but there's really not enough foundation for even a scaled down "Civil War" because there simply aren't enough players. Plus, one of the major issues in Civil War was accountability; because most superheroes had secret IDs, it was too easy for them to hide if things went wrong. That's not really an issue in the MCU, since pretty much all of the ones we've seen so far don't have secret IDs. Plus with SHIELD and Nick Fury out of the picture, who's going to administer the registration/oversee the heroes? Without SHIELD, the government doesn't really have the infrastructure in place for it.

All in all, it's just too early in the MCU's development to properly pull off a Civil War-type story.

Member in Disguise

They could explore the idea of registration in some form, but there's really not enough foundation for even a scaled down "Civil War" because there simply aren't enough players.
    There already is one, it just isn't voluntary. Coulson's mentioned it a few times (I think they called it a Codex or something), but basically SHIELD does have an ongoing list of all known supers.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zhris View Post
    There already is one, it just isn't voluntary. Coulson's mentioned it a few times (I think they called it a Codex or something), but basically SHIELD does have an ongoing list of all known supers.
    That's not the same thing. The main point of the SRA in Civil War was to give the government control over people with powers and forcing them to work for SHIELD. Most of the people on SHIELD's list aren't actual superheroes and SHIELD didn't really control them, per se, because there wasn't actually any enforceable law against having or using superpowers. And the fact that SHIELD were the only ones with access to the list, speaks directly to my point: Now that there is no SHIELD, who's equipped to deal with them?

BANNED

That's not the same thing. The main point of the SRA in Civil War was to give the government control over people with powers and forcing them to work for SHIELD. Most of the people on SHIELD's list aren't actual superheroes and SHIELD didn't really control them, per se, because there wasn't actually any enforceable law against having or using superpowers. And the fact that SHIELD were the only ones with access to the list, speaks directly to my point: Now that there is no SHIELD, who's equipped to deal with them?
    Wouldn't there be a story there, though? Various government agencies trying to do this with various levels of success? Maybe not for the movies, but wouldn't AOS be a place to spin out this story?

Boisterously Confused

Wouldn't there be a story there, though? Various government agencies trying to do this with various levels of success? Maybe not for the movies, but wouldn't AOS be a place to spin out this story?
    Sort of makes you wonder that's what they're bringing Talbot in for. It'd be just his flavor of vodka.

to make the CW work in the MCU they have to pull a Stark and start enslaving them, there are not enough around to do that, and MCU Stark, unlike the MU versions at least has some morality

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Sort of makes you wonder that's what they're bringing Talbot in for. It'd be just his flavor of vodka.
    Yeah, yeah....it'd be dull if all he did was chase Coulson....if he's ALSO trying to keep track of alien technology and powers, there's all sort of chances for hijinks. It's not just Talbot chasing Coulson.

to make the CW work in the MCU they have to pull a Stark and start enslaving them, there are not enough around to do that, and MCU Stark, unlike the MU versions at least has some morality
    Well, the way it went with Stark in the comics is not the only way....

Everything's getting worse and worse for the heroes and I couldn't be happier with this show. Poor Fitz, he really thought Ward was his friend. I liked May interacting with Hill. Also one of the things I didn't like about the epilogue of TWS was Hill just working for Stark...the reason MAoS gives has it make sense. Still hoping for Hill to be a recurring character next season.

I'm glad Ward didn't want to kill Skye, makes for their good interaction on their part. Looking forward to his origin next week.

I've always hoped that Deathlok would eventually join the white hats, but after this... was it just me, or did he seem to be a little too comfortable playing the villain?
    I think he enjoyed torturing Ward...who is a villain...which makes Deathlok heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It has improved. Some of the early weeks were kind of lame. I have to wonder how much of that was constraints imposed on the writing team by the release dates on Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier (i.e. "no you can't write any stories that really deal with SHIELD behaving in a corrupt manner because that's a major plot point in CA:TWS" or "you have a to have a story that has something to do with Asgardians in the episode airing the week after T:TDW, and no you can't do anything specifically related to T:TDW's plot because it might spoil something cool in the movie").
    Or "You have to do a story that has something to do with Asgardians in the episode airing the week after T:TDW and you have to do it on a TV budget and make sure it has nothing to do with Thor himself. If you're lucky, we'll get you Jamie Alexander, but not in that episode".

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    I think it's going to be interesting to see what happens. You know that at some point S.H.I.E.L.D. will be re-built. Perhaps when that happens we will see appearances by some of the other well known agents.
    That'd be good considering how many of the ones from the comics turned out evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    How big does it get?

They could explore the idea of registration in some form, but there's really not enough foundation for even a scaled down "Civil War" because there simply aren't enough players. Plus, one of the major issues in Civil War was accountability; because most superheroes had secret IDs, it was too easy for them to hide if things went wrong. That's not really an issue in the MCU, since pretty much all of the ones we've seen so far don't have secret IDs. Plus with SHIELD and Nick Fury out of the picture, who's going to administer the registration/oversee the heroes? Without SHIELD, the government doesn't really have the infrastructure in place for it.
    Black Widow and Hawkeye were already SHIELD agents and Captain America worked with them, and Falcon trusts Cap. Even Iron Man is a consultant and Thor tells other Asgardians to trust anyone wearing SHIELD's logo. I doubt War Machine would rebel against SHILED (or whatever we want to use in their place), and that leaves us with Hulk, Winter Soldier, and Deathlok. All who are kind of villains anyway. I don't see it. Everyone is as good enough as registered.

I really didn't like Civil War, how are you going to bust out an inescapable Negative Zone prison and technology that takes away powers and only use it on uncooperative heroes? Shouldn't there be, like, no super villains whatsoever if they could do that (aside from the ones they have hunting down heroes, of course)? How were there still villains after Civil War? There are way too many good Marvel stories to adapt into the MCU than to use Civil War (even Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes teased it but just ended up doing Secret Invasion).

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    How big does it get?
    Giant-Sized!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Black Widow and Hawkeye were already SHIELD agents and Captain America worked with them, and Falcon trusts Cap. Even Iron Man is a consultant and Thor tells other Asgardians to trust anyone wearing SHIELD's logo. I doubt War Machine would rebel against SHILED (or whatever we want to use in their place), and that leaves us with Hulk, Winter Soldier, and Deathlok. All who are kind of villains anyway. I don't see it. Everyone is as good enough as registered.
    They would be, if SHIELD still existed. But it doesn't. It's been infiltrated, corrupted, and destroyed from within and branded a terrorist organization, and pretty much everyone who had been formerly associated with it is under suspicion.

It could be a story, but it wouldn't necessarily be a very interesting one.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The Hydra infiltration and resulting conflict has really helped this series pick up. I wasn't a fan of it during the early episode, but now the stories are much more interesting - the inclusion of more MU properties also seems to be a big help.
    Also the fact that stupid Skye has a much reduced role, and the fact that they've given up on her stupid origin story.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, I do think that Civil War was a really terrific idea for a comicbook saga. It's just that it's an idea much better suited for the temperament and style of Ed brubaker or Greg Rucka than Mark Millar or event-mode-Bendis.
    In conformity with the new rules of the forum, I will just say that I disagree. (Though I do agree that most anything by Brubaker or Rucka would be better than something by Bendis, though I am not a total Bendis-hater; he's done some nice stuff.)

Sandy Hausler

Ultimate Member

They would be, if SHIELD still existed. But it doesn't. It's been infiltrated, corrupted, and destroyed from within and branded a terrorist organization, and pretty much everyone who had been formerly associated with it is under suspicion..
    Yeah, but all their intel was posted online. Isn't like that information just disappeared. The FBI and CIA likely picked up some pieces too.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by King of Asgard View Post
    Also the fact that stupid Skye has a much reduced role, and the fact that they've given up on her stupid origin story.
    I wouldn't count on that just yet. After the issue of that hard drive is resolved, whether Garrett gets the data or not, there's plenty of time for him or his other HYDRA buddies to redirect their attention to the issues that interested all the players in Skye in the first place.