Page 85 of 573 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 8586
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by impulseucf View Post
    Great episode. I love this show, and it continues to hit and maintain its stride. I also found it a little far-fetcehd that someone as dangerous as Ward would only be restrained with regular handcuffs. Other than that, I'm good with everything else.
    Ward is just a normal guy , not a "gifted" individual. You think the military had special cuffs when they arrested creel in the first episode ?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I disagree with all of that, but I've long ago realized the pointlessness of trying to make everyone on the Internet agree with me. Sorry you don't like it.
    Don't worry August will still watch.

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by August_Gorman View Post
    I need to take my own advice and stop paying attention to media I don't enjoy.
    Well, you're right about one thing, at least.

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fmvgamer View Post
    Ward is just a normal guy , not a "gifted" individual. You think the military had special cuffs when they arrested creel in the first episode ?
    He is a proven highly trained spy and assassin whose deadliness SHIELD has experienced firsthand. Not only did they train him, but he's wasted a crap load of their people. Plus IIRC they cuffed him in front where he still has most of his range of motion. They didn't sedate him? Also cuff his legs? He's doesn't have super powers, but calling him a normal guy is way off the mark.

Astonishing Member

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/30/the_...ium=socialflow

Differences between marvel and dc tv shows.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post

Thanks for the link, but I stopped reading at "They're all better than S.H.I.E.L.D."

An article that claims to be a comparative analysis shouldn't identify itself as a puff piece quite that early.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Thanks for the link, but I stopped reading at "They're all better than S.H.I.E.L.D."

An article that claims to be a comparative analysis shouldn't identify itself as a puff piece quite that early.
    I think DC plan on keeping TV and movies in different continuities will hurt them once the JLA movies are in swing.....

Marvel making everything that is live action one universe keeps thing simple and easier to promote.

Shield has picked up significantly since Cap 2 and this season has been hitting it out of the park.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I agree. It's now my favorite comics-related series. Though I am also enjoying Gotham and thought the first episode of Constantine was OK. (I tried watching Arrow when it first started but couldn't warm to it. I hear it's gotten better.)

I think arrow, flash and possibly constantine are all better than agents of shield. I like it but it doesn't have me on the edge of my seat like the previous three do.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by impulseucf View Post
    They didn't sedate him?
    I don't think you can legally sedate a prisoner unless they've proven to be a threat while in custody.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    I think DC plan on keeping TV and movies in different continuities will hurt them once the JLA movies are in swing.....

Marvel making everything that is live action one universe keeps thing simple and easier to promote.

Shield has picked up significantly since Cap 2 and this season has been hitting it out of the park.
    However, the downside of that is a lot of comic characters are off limits because of possible movie uses and the show's creativity is limited because SHIELD storylines can't conflict with what's happening in the films.

Quote Originally Posted by fmvgamer View Post
    P don't think the military would be using cuffs at afl for transporting dangerous prisoner.I know would be using zip-ties and he could not have slipped out at all.

Incredible Member

Anyone else find it odd Simmon's little threat to Ward as he was leaving? Seemed totally out of character for her.

Since SHIELD agents are being hunted down by various governments how are they getting paid? Are they getting paid or are they just doing it for truth, justice and American way (or Disney dollars)? Seems it would be a bit hard for the agents who are outed as still working for SHIELD to have a bank account somewhere where they can be tracked down and followed. Hydra must have a complete roster of all agents and check on all the top ones to see what ones that aren't working for them are doing after the fall.

Might be something for the creators to show that Coulson has set up some dummy corporations or false storefronts to hide the fact that some agents are still on the payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post

My opinion is that none of these shows are particularly great on both sides Marvel and DC but they offer a few good things a few times which as a viewer is enough for a weekly show.

However he is right with the fact because Marvel has a singular vision for their Universe, Shield for example cannot dig into the MU library and use any villains for example and that has hurt them. Wheras in Arrow they can pick up Deathstroke or any others and make them part of their show.

So far though none of the current super-hero shows match with The Walking Dead, X-Files...even Smallville. It's funny but for all the crying and frustration of fans toward Heroes, if it were here now, it would be the best super-hero show on TV.

Incredible Member

People constantly saying a thing does not make it true, and it is definitively not true that SHIELD has not been able to dig into the MU library and use any known villains.

They're going slower than hardcore fans would like in rolling out recognizable names, perhaps, but they're most definitely using them.

Agents of SHIELD has only had twenty seven episodes total. In those twenty seven episodes they have used Deathlok, Graviton, Blizzard, Lorelei, Blackout, Daniel Whitehall, Absorbing Man and introduced Skye's father, who is obviously superhuman and more than likely a known character (specifically, Mr. Hyde). That's eight superhumans pulled directly from the comics. That is an average of one comicbook superhuman about every four episodes, and many of them have appeared over the course of multiple episodes. Even more significantly, unlike the comicbook superheroes and villains introduced in other shows, EVERY SINGLE ONE of these characters is still on the table. Not a single one of them is definitively dead - the sole exception possibly being Blackout, but given the nature of his powers that's far from confirmed. (No one actually believes Blizzard is dead, right? Right).

None of these characters are super obscure comicbook characters either. No, they're not A list names like Red Skull and Loki, but they didn't have to dig to the bottom of the barrel to get Graviton, Lorelei and Absorbing Man. Add to that the fact that this isn't a show about superhumans specifically, its a show about a spy organization whose functions include monitoring superhuman activity among MANY other things. Superhumans have never been SHIELD's sole focus, so now let's throw in all the non superhuman comicbook characters the show has used. Victoria Hand, John Garrett, Colonel Talbot, Lance Hunter, Mack, and now Mockingbird, an actual Avenger. That's six more comicbook characters.

Now add in the film characters from the comics who have made guest appearances on the show. Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Jasper Sitwell, Lady Sif. That's four more comicbook characters, and not even counting the season premiere's use of Peggy Carter and the Howling Commandos (one of whom is related to Tripp, a series regular).

So in the twenty seven episodes of the show that have aired so far, we have seen eighteen actual comicbook characters in sizeable roles, most of them recurring over at least two episodes, many of them more. In comparison, the villains created for the show have been predominantly human, like Ian Quinn, Raina (for now), and Ward, with only a couple of the superhuman-centered episodes so far revolving around original characters. I can only think of two, actually - that pyrokinetic Scorch from Season One and the ghost/teleporting man who was stuck in a Hell dimension later that season.

So can we dispense with the 'SHIELD can't/won't use characters from the actual comics' myth? Its just not true. They might not be using the ones you specifically want them to use, but they're using them, and they're using them a LOT. The comic books have literally thousands of characters to draw from. That means they could go through dozens of characters before getting to one you were actually hoping they would use, but that doesn't make any of those dozens any less a comic book character.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    People constantly saying a thing does not make it true, and it is definitively not true that SHIELD has not been able to dig into the MU library and use any known villains.

They're going slower than hardcore fans would like in rolling out recognizable names, perhaps, but they're most definitely using them.

Agents of SHIELD has only had twenty seven episodes total. In those twenty seven episodes they have used Deathlok, Graviton, Blizzard, Lorelei, Blackout, Daniel Whitehall, Absorbing Man and introduced Skye's father, who is obviously superhuman and more than likely a known character (specifically, Mr. Hyde). That's eight superhumans pulled directly from the comics. That is an average of one comicbook superhuman about every four episodes, and many of them have appeared over the course of multiple episodes. Even more significantly, unlike the comicbook superheroes and villains introduced in other shows, EVERY SINGLE ONE of these characters is still on the table. Not a single one of them is definitively dead - the sole exception possibly being Blackout, but given the nature of his powers that's far from confirmed. (No one actually believes Blizzard is dead, right? Right).

None of these characters are super obscure comicbook characters either. No, they're not A list names like Red Skull and Loki, but they didn't have to dig to the bottom of the barrel to get Graviton, Lorelei and Absorbing Man. Add to that the fact that this isn't a show about superhumans specifically, its a show about a spy organization whose functions include monitoring superhuman activity among MANY other things. Superhumans have never been SHIELD's sole focus, so now let's throw in all the non superhuman comicbook characters the show has used. Victoria Hand, John Garrett, Colonel Talbot, Lance Hunter, Mack, and now Mockingbird, an actual Avenger. That's six more comicbook characters.

Now add in the film characters from the comics who have made guest appearances on the show. Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Jasper Sitwell, Lady Sif. That's four more comicbook characters, and not even counting the season premiere's use of Peggy Carter and the Howling Commandos (one of whom is related to Tripp, a series regular).

So in the twenty seven episodes of the show that have aired so far, we have seen eighteen actual comicbook characters in sizeable roles, most of them recurring over at least two episodes, many of them more. In comparison, the villains created for the show have been predominantly human, like Ian Quinn, Raina (for now), and Ward, with only a couple of the superhuman-centered episodes so far revolving around original characters. I can only think of two, actually - that pyrokinetic Scorch from Season One and the ghost/teleporting man who was stuck in a Hell dimension later that season.

So can we dispense with the 'SHIELD can't/won't use characters from the actual comics' myth? Its just not true. They might not be using the ones you specifically want them to use, but they're using them, and they're using them a LOT. The comic books have literally thousands of characters to draw from. That means they could go through dozens of characters before getting to one you were actually hoping they would use, but that doesn't make any of those dozens any less a comic book character.
    Blacklash should count among your comic characters.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua