Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

it's Mary Jane

His best male friend is Johnny, true bros for sure.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

One thing about Miles Morales is that he has a best friend with Ganke right from the start. The two of them are bros-before-other-bros tight.

Not one of Peter's male friends is as close to him as Ganke is to Miles.

Spectacular Member

Flash Thompson. He knew peter before he was Spider-Man and served as a great foil for him. Later served as a fan to his alter ego and then friend.

Later he was inspired by peter to go to war and be a hero he died a changed man while reminding peter what makes him amazing.
    Truly his best friend

Spider-Man Super-Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Peter's best friend is his wife and greatest love, Mary Jane Watson. The person who has been his most constant confidant and source of support in his life.

None of Peter's male friends are quite as close to him. Mostly because one can argue that Peter's not a very good friend to them.

Between the three, I think Johnny Storm and Peter end up having the closest and most meaningful bond, but I also think Flash Thompson ultimately comes to care for Peter more than Harry.
    I completely agree with the Mary Jane watson part. Most definitley she was designed not only to be the love of his life, but also to be his greatest friend.
    But I think that Harry is defenitly his best guy friend. Although my mind might be tainted a bit because when I think of Peter and Harry, my mind goes to the Sam Raimi movies

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by darthorgana View Post
    I completely agree with the Mary Jane watson part. Most definitley she was designed not only to be the love of his life, but also to be his greatest friend.
    But I think that Harry is defenitly his best guy friend. Although my mind might be tainted a bit because when I think of Peter and Harry, my mind goes to the Sam Raimi movies
    I think there is little doubt that MJ is Pete's best friend. The question is who is second? It could be Harry, Johnny Storm, Flash or Betty.

Harry should be Peter's best friend and Johnny is Spider-Man's best friend. MJ is his best girlfriend/wife, which is an entirely different type of relationship.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Harry should be Peter's best friend and Johnny is Spider-Man's best friend. MJ is his best girlfriend/wife, which is an entirely different type of relationship.
    It's interesting to me that things are seen that way, and it's fascinating how Peter Parker complicates that.

In 616, Peter grew up without having any friends. Then he dated Betty Brant so Betty is both Peter's first girlfriend and his first friend. But because we tend to see friends as separate from dates, Harry Osborn is "first friend". In the period after Gwen's death, Harry disappeared for months, avoided paying rent despite being rich (world's worst room-mate) and MJ became Peter's best friend before they fell in love. MJ again became his closest friend when she came back.

In my view since being Spider-Man is a major part of who Peter is, and since "plain ol' Peter" lies his ass off to everyone who doesn't know his identity, Harry Osborn and others simply do not know the real true Peter. The people who know Peter's double life have an objectively truer understanding of who he is, and Peter is more honest with them than he is with those who don't know that. So to me Harry Osborn, Post-OMD isn't really Peter's best friend nor is he able to be. Pre-OMD, any time Harry knew he became the Green Goblin again, and when he didn't he had amnesia.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I think there is little doubt that MJ is Pete's best friend. The question is who is second? It could be Harry, Johnny Storm, Flash or Betty.
    I think Johny would be #2 by default given their history. Since the Raimi trilogy, Harry has basically been portrayed as Peter's "second best friend" in most popular culture depictions and you kind of saw that push happen in comics after One More Day.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I think Johny would be #2 by default given their history. Since the Raimi trilogy, Harry has basically been portrayed as Peter's "second best friend" in most popular culture depictions and you kind of saw that push happen in comics after One More Day.
    Even Pre-OMD. Ultimate Spider-Man's first arc had Harry as Peter's best friend, and even then Harry as Peter's "best friend" was common in the Lee-Romita era. The difference is that the adaptations by moving things to high school change the nature of their dynamic. People in modern times see Harry as this cool dude who helps puny Parker, but that's a total distortion of the original context -- Peter was the Cool Kid, while Harry was the disappointing spawn of a lunatic father, a drug addict, and who was more or less a rebound for Mary Jane Watson who pined for Peter but respectively stepped aside when she saw him dating Gwen Stacy, and even then, Mary-Jane dumped Harry. And Bendis, he got bored of Harry and made him play a smaller role in the series as time went on, having Gwen, Kitty, Ultimate Johnny Storm, and later Kong and Liz Allan round out the cast.

The Raimi movies did change that, where Harry had the only complete character arc in that trilogy (more than Peter, MJ, Aunt May, Jameson) and Post-OMD is shoehorning him in without doing anything interesting with him, such as the crappy Marvel Spider-Man cartoon where he gets more prominence than others. It's not a role that suits him well and it's absolutely counter to everything in the original stories. Spider-Man 3 was basically Harry Osborn's movie and that among everything else is a huge reason why that movie failed and why its such a weak conclusion.

Fantastic Member

Randy Robertson, The guy is a multiple time roommate to Pete. Even though he knows how flaky and money shy he can be will still go in with him on a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    It's interesting to me that things are seen that way, and it's fascinating how Peter Parker complicates that.

In 616, Peter grew up without having any friends. Then he dated Betty Brant so Betty is both Peter's first girlfriend and his first friend. But because we tend to see friends as separate from dates, Harry Osborn is "first friend". In the period after Gwen's death, Harry disappeared for months, avoided paying rent despite being rich (world's worst room-mate) and MJ became Peter's best friend before they fell in love. MJ again became his closest friend when she came back.

In my view since being Spider-Man is a major part of who Peter is, and since "plain ol' Peter" lies his ass off to everyone who doesn't know his identity, Harry Osborn and others simply do not know the real true Peter. The people who know Peter's double life have an objectively truer understanding of who he is, and Peter is more honest with them than he is with those who don't know that. So to me Harry Osborn, Post-OMD isn't really Peter's best friend nor is he able to be. Pre-OMD, any time Harry knew he became the Green Goblin again, and when he didn't he had amnesia.
    OMD and alot of the current status quo for Peter are a blind spot for me. I refuse to accept that Harry is not Peter's best friend, they just have too much history for that to be ignored and swept aside. One day someone at Marvel will grow a pair and restore Peter's life to the way it should be to be consistent with 90 percent of his character development.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Harry is definitely Peter's best civilian friend. And also technically one of his deadliest villains .

A case for Harry Osborn as Peter's best friend:

The history between these two is troubled to say the least. Harry has make some serious faults as a friend to Peter and viceversa, but even after all the wrong done to each other, the trust issues and lies, they go back to be together over and over. Their ultimate challenge was against the Green Goblin's legacy, and at the end, in that spectacular issue, Harry chose to save his best friend, even if it could cost his life (and it did for many years), defeating his father's shadow (at least for the time being) and proving that no matter how much bad thing transpires between Harry and Peter, they're always gonna keep being friends. And those obstacles and how they have surpased them I think make them the best of friends
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH