Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The thing about these cosmically-powered types is that they can actually be underpowered for the sort of mundane earth-bound missions that the Avengers face a lot of the time. Writers like to show how a character has the power of a star or whatever when they let loose, but you can't actually let loose when you're in the middle of New York and you're trying not to kill anybody. Like it doesn't help to have a nuclear weapon if your objective is to win without blowing up yourself and everybody on your side.

While I would roll my eyes sometimes at Roger Stern telling us how powerful Monica Rambeau was, he did come up with a character who was OP but in a way that made her suitable for regular fights.
    And yet, Monica isn't suitable for normal use without the writer rolling back some of the science of her powers. I mean technically in light form she moves at the speed of light. There is no decelerator on that at all. She can either move, or stay in place, but if she's moving at all, it's at the speed of light always. Now when you reduce that to, oh, the space the size of an average room, it means in the time that Monica says what she's about to do, it's already been done many times over. But that's not how writers script her. No, they give her the Green Lantern effect where she's this glowing slow moving form of energy. We see lots of that in Avengers No Road Home now. In their minds, I guess, sound, speech bubbles and thought bubbles are all faster than the speed of light. It's laughable, if you really think about it. There is absolutely no reason for Monica to appear in visible light form at all in combat situations, yet she always does. Again, that's just writers injecting stupid conventions so that she doesn't come across as OP.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Wendell falls into the category of a very powerful character who has very human levels of strength and durabilty. So similar to say a Dr. Strange or a Storm, even though they are uber powerful they can also be theoretically taken out by a bullet or a lucky punch if you can get close enough to do it. Of course Wendell has force fields and such... but at the end of the day he's still a regular human being wearing those bands. He's not like say a Silver Surfer or a Blue Marvel, who are invulernable and have class 100 strength on top of everything else.
    And yet if I had Wendell's Quantum Bands and Cosmic Awareness, I'd trounce Sentry, Blue Marvel, Silver Surfer, Hulk, etc., etc., without breaking much of a sweat. Ha ha
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”

~James Baldwin

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    And yet if I had Wendell's Quantum Bands and Cosmic Awareness, I'd trounce Sentry, Blue Marvel, Silver Surfer, Hulk, etc., etc., without breaking much of a sweat. Ha ha
    Yet I'm not sure about that. He deliberately tanked his fight against Surfer for the greater good but showed he could handle the level of Surfer's power. I'm not sure he would stand up to some of the more exotic uses of power Surfer can do. Hulk might cause problems if he doesn't fight smart and tries to just contain him. I don't see Sentry as a problem (despite what he did to Molecule Man - can we forget that happened?). As for Blue Marvel I wonder if the source of his power is out of the reach of the bands

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Yet I'm not sure about that. He deliberately tanked his fight against Surfer for the greater good but showed he could handle the level of Surfer's power. I'm not sure he would stand up to some of the more exotic uses of power Surfer can do. Hulk might cause problems if he doesn't fight smart and tries to just contain him. I don't see Sentry as a problem (despite what he did to Molecule Man - can we forget that happened?). As for Blue Marvel I wonder if the source of his power is out of the reach of the bands
    If Quasar wanted to fight cheap he could probably just try and dump most of those guys in the Quantom realm and leave them there.

But generally speaking, for a lot of those fights it sort of depends. They're all powerful to the point where any of them under the right circumstances could beat anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    As for Blue Marvel I wonder if the source of his power is out of the reach of the bands
    Quasar is not going to be able to do to Blue Marvel what he does to Binary and others, true. In fact, Blue Marvel is apt to do to Quasar, what Quasar does to other energy/particle based characters. But I can think of a way where Quasar wins and since I'd be the one with the Quantum Bands in this scenario, it would work. But nope, I'm not sharing. Can't give any of these gutless writers who already won't use Blue Marvel a convenient way to cut him down a peg when/if he does appear again.

Oh and by the way, "Protector of the Universe" sounds like a good role for Blue Marvel, now that we're on the subject. Quantum Bands optional. I'm just saying.

~James Baldwin

But, despite being Protector of the Universe, Wendell didn't have Cosmic Awareness, did he?

Peace

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    But, despite being Protector of the Universe, Wendell didn't have Cosmic Awareness, did he?

Peace
    Not as such, but he did have Eon/Epoch in his ear which is a pretty good substitute.

Thanks for replying to my thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

Peace
    He had it for the Cosmos in collision storyline, but it didn't stick around.

RCO018_1466369424.jpg

can we get to 100 comments

fine then i'll do it myself

is that all?

The strongest Avenger? That's easy Gilgamesh the Forgotten One, too bad nobody at Marvel remembers him
    Meet the new Blu_Spyder,
    same as the old Arachne_Azure

"If Life doesn't give you some sugar to go with the lemons
    your lemonade is gonna suck
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Blu_Spyder View Post
    The strongest Avenger? That's easy Gilgamesh the Forgotten One, too bad nobody at Marvel remembers him

Herules last series did. Not a great look for your guy but still he was there.

Quasar is not going to be able to do to Blue Marvel what he does to Binary and others, true. In fact, Blue Marvel is apt to do to Quasar, what Quasar does to other energy/particle based characters. But I can think of a way where Quasar wins and since I'd be the one with the Quantum Bands in this scenario, it would work. But nope, I'm not sharing. Can't give any of these gutless writers who already won't use Blue Marvel a convenient way to cut him down a peg when/if he does appear again.

Oh and by the way, "Protector of the Universe" sounds like a good role for Blue Marvel, now that we're on the subject. Quantum Bands optional. I'm just saying.
    I would second that easily. Could imagine Blue Marvel with those bands though...?? With his ability to already handle massive amounts of power this guy would be close to Silver Surfer levels, I guess maybe beyond that even.