Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, what we need is QUALITY, not QUANTITY.
    Me, I love the character, but I have no interest in the writers handling Batman these days nor any interest with how DC has changed him so much from what he once was. If DC changes those things back, I might jump back on the bandwagon, but I just don't see any sign they'll do that since the current stuff seems to sell (at least in terms of what comic book shops order).
    It seems few at DC care about consistent characterisation and continuity. Batman shows up in a lot of titles and in most titles it's a different Batman

Writers are allowed to take creative liberties. Characterising him as they see him not as the character has been portrayed for decades. At times straight up ignoring or changing him to suit the story the want to tell.

The version @Coats seeks has been split. If you mix Synder'sJL/Metal batman, King's batman[ claims it's exploring THE MAN] and the Tec batman you get exactly that missing Batman.
    It's vexatious [or maybe makes some sense] that the characterisations that distance him the most from what he once was are usually in his own titles or stories penned by his writers.
    Last edited by dietrich; 03-03-2019 at 10:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I'm still waiting for Duke's solo ongoing.
    Duke had a mini-series solo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    He had a mini-series that was monopolized by Batman; he needs his own ongoing without Batman hogging all the panel space.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    What was the title of that solo min-series?

BANNED

What was the title of that solo min-series?
    Wasn't it "Batman and the Signal"? Duke is having the same problem as other disciples of the Bat: He's kept down by the big fish of the family and having no opportunity to show off on his own.

Wasn't it "Batman and the Signal"? Duke is having the same problem as other disciples of the Bat: He's kept down by the big fish of the family and having no opportunity to show off on his own.
    That was sort of my point.

You can get away to referring to it as a solo mini-series if it was maybe called "Batman Presents: The Signal", but having the "and" in the title doesn't sound like a solo-title.

BANNED

That was sort of my point.

You can get away to referring to it as a solo mini-series if it was maybe called "Batman Presents: The Signal", but having the "and" in the title doesn't sound like a solo-title.
    Exactly. "BATMAN" is plastered up there in big letters, "and The Signal" squidged into the Bat-Logo. DC needs to believe in Duke more, and treat him with more respect. The co-star role in a mini-series should have led to an ongoing Signal solo title.

Lol, Batman's name on there was a blessing not a curse to Duke. It was a gift from editorial. If editorial would've given Duke the chance to "prove himself without Batman," he'd go the way of Harper Rowe or Talon.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Lol, Batman's name on there was a blessing not a curse to Duke. It was a gift from editorial. If editorial would've given Duke the chance to "prove himself without Batman," he'd go the way of Harper Rowe or Talon.
    I don't know if anybody is calling it "a curse" as far as I'm aware.
    But how much of a solo book is it when it's labeled "Batman and The Signal"?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    That shows DC's lack of confidence in the character. They're just making Duke a token and he deserves better.

Incredible Member

People keep saying Duke deserves better but why? What makes this character so special? Now he’s a meta with a weird power that I’ve already forgotten but other than that, why does this particular character deserve some better treatment?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    People keep saying Duke deserves better but why? What makes this character so special? Now he’s a meta with a weird power that I’ve already forgotten but other than that, why does this particular character deserve some better treatment?
    Newly created (and previously-existing but mostly ignored) "characters of color" have long been neglected by the comics industry. I actually prefer Batwing to the Signal, but at the moment I'm having to pin more hope on Duke. If you go to the imagination and time to create a minority character who must compete for existence in a 90+% white universe, then you should be prepared to give it the support it needs to get off the ground--not just tokenism.

Incredible Member

Newly created (and previously-existing but mostly ignored) "characters of color" have long been neglected by the comics industry. I actually prefer Batwing to the Signal, but at the moment I'm having to pin more hope on Duke. If you go to the imagination and time to create a minority character who must compete for existence in a 90+% white universe, then you should be prepared to give it the support it needs to get off the ground--not just tokenism.
    I loved David Zavimbe Batwing. I wish they’d have kept him instead of changing him out for Luke Fox. I like Luke too but wish he’d have taken a different identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    I loved David Zavimbe Batwing. I wish they’d have kept him instead of changing him out for Luke Fox. I like Luke too but wish he’d have taken a different identity.
    Another problem with Luke as Batwing: to me, his outfit seemed way too similar to Batman Beyond.

Incredible Member

Very true. I liked David because we really got to see something different. He was a child soldier trying to overcome this horrific past. Not just another rich guy. They really made you feel for David as a character and you were interested in his struggles.