Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I really loved Morrison's Action origin, with the exception of the Kents dying in a car crash. I think the Kents should die of natural causes that Clark wouldn't be able to do anything about even if he were right next to them. Other than that I was highly satisfied with New52's origin. You've got the Legion, the loss of the Kents, the Golden Age powers and elements like the Daily Star, and the best costume variant not based on the classic to ever see print anywhere. And it all builds into an excellent "it all sorta counts" mentality with the arrival of Brainiac, the discovery of the "real" costume (if you pretend Morrison didn't have to use that awful Lee design) and the increased post-Crisis level powers (which increased to Silver Age level afterwards). Wonderful update, and about as perfect as it gets.

Birthright is equally amazing as well, right up to the point where Clark puts on the costume. It all goes downhill from there but I really love what Waid did with Clark's "missing" years (after high school, before Metropolis) and a lot of the stuff Waid did really helps inform Superman's choices later on (like the lack of a mask), especially the stuff in Africa, which is among my favorite Superman/Clark scenes ever. Great setting and conflict, great insights into Clark's character......in my head I like to combine this origin with Morrison's.

Snyder's MoS got a whole lot right, and Byrne's 86 MoS still has my favorite version of Krypton ever (though much of the rest.....hard pass). And the Smallville show had a really interesting spin for Clark's origin and I loved the dynamic between Clark and Lex (as well as Lionel) but it stretched itself out far too long.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Morrison's Action. Everything about it was pretty much perfect to my ideal except, as Ascended pointed out, the manner of the Kents' demise. I too prefer something simply more natural. I could accept the car accident wihtout Vyn's interference. By all means have Vyndktvx shadow a lot of things in Clark's life elsewhere, I loved that. Just leave the Kents alone in that regard.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again, since the Crisis, there hasn't been an origin that touches this one. It just completely blows all other attempts away in my head in terms of sheer creativity, and taking classic concepts and utilizing them again with modern spins. Nothing pertinent was removed out of a false sense of needing to "ground" the character, with things being reworked in a way that felt fresh and done with effort, not simply a cut and paste job of the work of others (Secret Origin). Its just the best of the best. That its not in use anywhere right now is a crime against nature.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-01-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

I've always liked John Byrne's Man of Steel.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think it's interesting that the only thing they've kept from New 52 is the one thing nobody liked: The way the Kents died.
    Assassinate Putin!

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think it's interesting that the only thing they've kept from New 52 is the one thing nobody liked: The way the Kents died.
    More than likely because it is a plot for Doomsday Clock that still hasn't been resolved. I would guess that will be undone the moment the story is over.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Definitely Donner's Movies.

- Both fathers were important: Jor-El educated his son. Jonathan taught him about morals and decency. I found this to be such a good combination.
    - Superman's Education: Clark spent about 12 years in the Fortress of Solitude learning about the Universe and how to use his powers. Glad it didn't come out of nowhere
    - Krypton's Destruction: It was a deep and well orchestrated story which included Zod

Only one thing I'd change is Clark. A little too over the top clumsy

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    My absolute favorite is the post-Flashpoint Superman's origin. It's not all Grant Morrison, Sholly Fisch contributed a lot as well. Best Jon Kent ever, laughing with Clark over super-pranks pulled on a bank at the expense of a local farmer, stuff like that. The Pseudo Golden Age, the early period of Superman's career where he "merely" leaps tall buildings in a single bound, wearing a t-shirt and jeans, is a brilliant and perfect idea. I'm still salty they decided not to keep it around after Reborn. And the transition Morrison wrote between the pseudo-Golden Age and the later pseudo Silver Age is also just sort of self-evidently a good idea.

Not everything about Morrison's run is perfect. Both Lois and Jimmy are under-served (I've never been convinced that Morrison writes a great Lois, and lacking the Silver Agey trappings of All-Star, Jimmy loses his spark) and Morrison indulges his habitual problem of letting side characters kill in the main hero's stead so they keep their hands clean, though I suppose that only comes in later on, after the "origin" part of the arc is over. It still bugs me. I see Morrison's Action run as a perfect blueprint for Superman-in-General, rather than as the Best Possible Superman Run. I wish DC had stuck to that blueprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I really loved Morrison's Action origin, with the exception of the Kents dying in a car crash. I think the Kents should die of natural causes that Clark wouldn't be able to do anything about even if he were right next to them. Other than that I was highly satisfied with New52's origin. You've got the Legion, the loss of the Kents, the Golden Age powers and elements like the Daily Star, and the best costume variant not based on the classic to ever see print anywhere. And it all builds into an excellent "it all sorta counts" mentality with the arrival of Brainiac, the discovery of the "real" costume (if you pretend Morrison didn't have to use that awful Lee design) and the increased post-Crisis level powers (which increased to Silver Age level afterwards). Wonderful update, and about as perfect as it gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Morrison's Action. Everything about it was pretty much perfect to my ideal except, as Ascended pointed out, the manner of the Kents' demise. I too prefer something simply more natural. I could accept the car accident wihtout Vyn's interference. By all means have Vyndktvx shadow a lot of things in Clark's life elsewhere, I loved that. Just leave the Kents alone in that regard.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again, since the Crisis, there hasn't been an origin that touches this one. It just completely blows all other attempts away in my head in terms of sheer creativity, and taking classic concepts and utilizing them again with modern spins. Nothing pertinent was removed out of a false sense of needing to "ground" the character, with things being reworked in a way that felt fresh and done with effort, not simply a cut and paste job of the work of others (Secret Origin). Its just the best of the best. That its not in use anywhere right now is a crime against nature.
    I only read volume one of Morrison's Action run, and I got to say that it largely didn't impress me, and that some parts of it from what I can remember now were kind of confusing back then, something I've noticed with a lot of what I've read from this author (haven't read it again in a good three or four years). But after reading all this, I'm starting to think there might have been more to that version of the origin that wasn't in that one volume that might make it better. Can anyone recommend what other books, if any, also dealt with this origin?

Astonishing Member

Action Comics #500 is the definitive Silver/Bronze Age origin for me

Secret Origins #1 (1986) is the best take on the Golden Age.

TV/live action didn't get better than the 1st episode of the 1950's Reeves series.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I only read volume one of Morrison's Action run, and I got to say that it largely didn't impress me, and that some parts of it from what I can remember now were kind of confusing back then, something I've noticed with a lot of what I've read from this author (haven't read it again in a good three or four years). But after reading all this, I'm starting to think there might have been more to that version of the origin that wasn't in that one volume that might make it better. Can anyone recommend what other books, if any, also dealt with this origin?
    The whole run touches on various aspects of the origin, it’s not a straightforward story (it never is with Morrison). How high is your tolerance for 5-D shenanigans? That will really determine just how much you enjoy it. 68BDD810-CE98-478C-97BA-4EC94FE7733F.jpg

I loved the little detail that Jonathan, mortally wounded, has Clark whisk him from the hospital so he could be in his own home and his own bed. A little touch that resonates a lot to me. A man's love for his home, and a son's love to make a small yet hugely meaningful wish happen for him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Man of Steel
    Adventures of Superman pilot episode
    The Donner Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The whole run touches on various aspects of the origin, it’s not a straightforward story (it never is with Morrison). How high is your tolerance for 5-D shenanigans? That will really determine just how much you enjoy it. 68BDD810-CE98-478C-97BA-4EC94FE7733F.jpg
    5D - you mean Mxy? Like the character and his shenanigans in general, but I have limited exposure so it might depend on the execution.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    DC did do an origins book for the New52 characters and the first issue is a more traditional origin for Superman going into his childhood. Secret Origins vol.1 should have it.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Origin...r=1-1-fkmrnull
    Assassinate Putin!

ok, so I'm a bit confused.. There is a Morrison origin on the Action Comics book?

But there is also another secret origin by Geoff Johns?

And the New52 was by who?

I own Birthright, but haven't read it in a while. I know the film Man of Steel used elements from it.

Is the Superman For All Seasons story another origin?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I own Birthright, but haven't read it in a while. I know the film Man of Steel used elements from it.

Is the Superman For All Seasons story another origin?
    Really? Birthright is my favorite origin and one of my favorite stories, and I'm struggling to point at anything in the movie that could have been inspired by it.

Eh, not really. More it's set during times relevant to the origin, but isn't really an origin itself. Almost like a few prequel and side stories that coincide with the origin.