Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alexandria ocasio-cortez Washington warrior is too visually similar to WW

I think she looks alot like wonder woman in her comic book cover. Do you think so as well? Do you think it's okay to use her likeness for sales? Do you think it's okay to use WW's platform and ideals on another comic book character? Let's discuss.

It's no different from those silly "Barack the Barbarian" comics they put out in like 2009. No idea if Robert E. Howard's litigious estate had any response to that one. I don't know if I necessarily think it's okay to basically rip-off existing characters for one-dimensional political humor, but I do think it's ultimately going to be a footnote in the extensive history of truly forgettable comics, if well-intentioned ones.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    It's no different from those silly "Barack the Barbarian" comics they put out in like 2009. No idea if Robert E. Howard's litigious estate had any response to that one. I don't know if I necessarily think it's okay to basically rip-off existing characters for one-dimensional political humor, but I do think it's ultimately going to be a footnote in the extensive history of truly forgettable comics, if well-intentioned ones.
    I agree that it will probably fall into a group of forgettable comics. And I did read the "Barack the barbarian". I have not read any of the aoc comics but I will say the cover instantly made me think of WW and maybe others feel the same. Is it okay to make your character visually Similar to another character possibly for fame and recognition? Maybe I'm wrong and wonder womans attire is similar to certain warrior or actual dress wear that I'm unaware of.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Lee View Post
    I think she looks alot like wonder woman in her comic book cover. Do you think so as well? Do you think it's okay to use her likeness for sales? Do you think it's okay to use WW's platform and ideals on another comic book character? Let's discuss.
    Funny you should say that... https://www.newsarama.com/44118-alex...omic-book.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Yes the picture you provided does not appear to have any significant similarities at all. You're correct. I was asking a question based off the image and info I had read so far. ( I need to read it more when it actually comes out ) but this is the advertising and news article where I was getting the impression that shes using WW image.

Edit x 2. I do like aoc quote of having of everyone having a superhero in them.
    Last edited by Linda Lee; 02-28-2019 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Screenshot_20190228-162401_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190228-162408_Google.jpg

These are both giving the impression she will wear WW attire based off the image alone.

You do know there's a separate section dedicated to Wonder Woman?
    (Or are you afraid you'd get eaten alive there?)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You do know there's a separate section dedicated to Wonder Woman?
    (Or are you afraid you'd get eaten alive there?)
    No I haven't made it to her section. It's a devils due comic that is imo using the likeness of a DC character. But put me under whatever category you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Lee View Post
    No I haven't made it to her section. It's a devils due comic that is imo using the likeness of a DC character. But put me under whatever category you want.
    Looks like the mods decided to move it from the general "DC Comics" section to the "Wonder Woman" section.

Maybe the mod, white jumpsuit Diana Prince era of Wonder Woman and I’m completely unbothered by it or any parallels someone may be looking to find in it to denigrate AO-C or Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Maybe the mod, white jumpsuit Diana Prince era of Wonder Woman and I’m completely unbothered by it or any parallels someone may be looking to find in it to denigrate AO-C or Wonder Woman.
    I wasnt trying to be rude or denigrate either of them. I saw these photos and thought to myself they were a little too similar to another product in the same market. I dont think I'm being hurtful and dont want this to be a hate post on aoc or Wonderwoman.

I wanted to make a AOC post comparing her to Diana Prince months ago but didn't think it was within the rules, that's all I see whenever I see her

Sure, it has elements that call back to Wonder Woman (especially the movie, with the shape of the downward-pointing tiara), but that's largely because there are so few superheroines with their own independent iconography and design.

None of the similarities rise to being objectionable in any way.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Let me clarify for those whose posts I deleted this morning and other like-minded people.

1. Real life political arguments are NOT welcome on this forum.

2. Real life insulting of *anyone*, **especially** where it pertains to their appearance, are really not welcome here.

3. This thread is here because (a) AOC has a comic book being written about her and (b) there are similiarities in *costume* to Wonder Woman. That's the connection on this board, *not* her real life personal appearance or politics.

Once her book comes out, this is NOT the forum to discuss it, but for now, talking about the similarity in costumes between Wonder Woman and another comic book portrayal are fine.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!