Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Default Classic X-Men Retcons

I know that when Classic X-Men was being released, they added new pages to the original material. I know there was a story that had to change how a scene worked because it was originally inconsistent with how Nightcrawler's powers worked. Does anyone know which stories had changes to the story?

Also, I recently read Claremont's Ms. Marvel. Combined with my reading of Claremont's Iron Fist, it made me realize that it might be fun to re-read Claremont's early X-Men in the context of those stories as well. I've previously read all these stories. On the re-read, should I read the Classic X-Men version or the original?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm also planning on doing a re-reading and I'm thinking of going with the Classic X-Men version. The dialogues have been tweaked by the Master himself and additional scenes have been added to enrich the whole experience, so what's not to like? Plus at this stage I'm so familiar with these stories I can easily tell what the additional pages are (moreover a lot of them were drawn by artists other than Cockrum/Byrne)

In Classic X-Men #1 he retconned Jean being attracted to Logan since meeting him IMO a middle finger for bringing Jean back and reuniting her and Scott in X-Factor. He also added the now very disturbing subtext of "No Means Yes" which he wrote in this and X-Men 242 when dealing with Jean and Logan. Logan would be the aggressor while Jean would hold him off while in thought bubbles admitting she secretly was attracted to him. This was an old trope since "Good" girls weren't suppose to do anything seen as "immoral" so with most sexuality a fain resistance would be created where she says no but really enjoys it and wants it something very problematic looking back because enforces the idea of No means Yes.

Well, this explains that...

Notice something missing? There's no Comics Code Authority stamp. I bet Claremont wanted the love triangle the whole time and it wasn't allowed in 1975. But by 1986, not all comics had the stamp any more.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    In Classic X-Men #1 he retconned Jean being attracted to Logan since meeting him IMO a middle finger for bringing Jean back and reuniting her and Scott in X-Factor. He also added the now very disturbing subtext of "No Means Yes" which he wrote in this and X-Men 242 when dealing with Jean and Logan. Logan would be the aggressor while Jean would hold him off while in thought bubbles admitting she secretly was attracted to him. This was an old trope since "Good" girls weren't suppose to do anything seen as "immoral" so with most sexuality a fain resistance would be created where she says no but really enjoys it and wants it something very problematic looking back because enforces the idea of No means Yes.
    And now I'm hesitant on buying the book...
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    There is still a lot of good stuff from the Classic X-Men that doesn't involved Jean/Logan, so i said that is still worth buying.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    That's just the new stuff which is always a added mini story the classic stuff is great and many of the mini stories were good too and if wanting books the classic reprints are way cheaper than getting the OG issues.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    That's just the new stuff which is always a added mini story the classic stuff is great and many of the mini stories were good too and if wanting books the classic reprints are way cheaper than getting the OG issues.
    I loved those little extra stories. Many of them featured individual stories or friendships that grew the characters and made them more personable. One of the reasons I bought a whole bunch of the classic reprints was for those extra stories