Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web-Warriors: Should Marvel try again?

In a Appreciation thread for SP//dr (Peni Parker of Earth-14512) (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...)-Appreciation), this has come up for discussion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    I'm baffled that Marvel isn't really trying to cash on the ItSV characters.

The only thing they've released are those Spider-Verse trades featuring some of the characters, but they're nowhere to be seen in any ongoing.

I would say relaunch Web Warriors, featuring the original team (which already feature Gwen, Noir, and Ham) with Peni and potentially Miles joining.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But how much crossover is there from movie audiences into new comic book readers?
    But how good were the sales on the previous run of Web Warriors?
    From the Top 300 Comic Books ordered by (primarily U.S.) comic book shops from Diamond,
    Nov. 2015 = 26th - Web Warriors #1 - 62,096 copies
    Dec. 2015 = 80th - Web Warriors #2 - 31,614 copies
    Jan. 2016 = 84th - Web Warriors #3 - 25,407 copies
    Feb. 2016 = 107th - Web Warriors #4 - 20,198 copies
    March 2017 =107th - Web Warriors #5 - 18,621 copies
    And there were six more issues after those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It may be a different argument after the movie.

Though Spider-Verse seems a more commercial title than Web Warriors.
    As well as a few other comments from people.

So, what do others think? Should (or "should have") Marvel tried a relaunch of the Web Warriors book (and with what title?) in conjunction with the "Into the Spider-Verse" movie?

Here are a few other posts from that other discussion:
    But, again, how much do movies drive / increase / support comic book sales, and for how long would that last?

Maybe if they made a comic book series based specifically on the animated movie, but otherwise would it last? If there were any people who saw the movie and then decided to try a comic book, would they be confused or quickly lose interest if the comic books weren't EXACTLY like the movie?
    I think it could work, as meanwhile you market it well and have a good team behind it. WW was a bad comic that did nothing to attract or keep readers in. It had the unforgivable sin of being boring. How could you make a boring comic out of the most fun premises of comics is something only Claremont knows.

Would it attract more casual people who had only seen the movies? Very few, I gotta agree. But it could lead people already reading comics to add one more book on their pull lists.
    The full title of Web Warriors was "Protectors of the Spider-Verse - Web Warriors". Maybe putting more emphasis on the "Spider-Verse" part.

BANNED

I'd like to see Web Warriors with the team we saw in the movie, coupled with the RYV Parkers or Annie May.

They should've done a new Web Warriors book (NOT called Web Warriors, get the phrase "Spider-Verse" in there) instead of another Peter book.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I enjoyed the title and know with good writers and good concepts, it could come back and stick around. It could be a another Marvel Team-Up of Spideys. It could be an anthology title with multiple writers telling their stories of the different Spider folks, whether teamed up or solo. There are limitless possibilities.

I would love to see some of the Spiders be more fleshed out along with their unique worlds and villains. A lot of the “Edge of...” singles have been great in showing how much potential some of these Spiders have.

So here’s my vote for more Web Warriors or whatever the hell it’s called when we get more Webheads to read.

I feel like the best way to bring it back is to have it be episodic rather than having one long story, having them tackle smaller threats gives each of the Spiders the chance to all get their own moment to shine, without having to be dragged down by a looming "bigger threat".

I wanted to learn more about the other Spiders, have some fun interactions, and react to weird and crazy worlds, which we did get in Web-Warriors, but alot of it was centred on the Multiversal Electros plot, which wasn't the most interesting, and could've probably lasted 4-5 issues at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    But alot of it was centered on the Multiversal Electros plot, which wasn't the most interesting, and could've probably lasted 4-5 issues at most.
    More evidence that Electro ruins everything! (Except Francine and Spectacular Crispin Freeman Electro, ya'll are sweeties who did nothing wrong.)
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Web Warriors needs 3 things.

1. Only 2 people with the standard Spiderman power set. Others are missing elements or focus heavily in other areas (Ie: Spider Ham uses Toon Physics more, Noir can't webswing etc)

2. Rotating leads or a overall team focus, the older web warriors series spent most of its time promoting Spider Gwen.

3. Less focus on Spider foes. The first arc in the old web warriors was LITERALLY fighting a bunch of alt-universe Electros.

I think it would do well if TPTB picked a better cast.

I still say Miles and Gwen, as extremely popular Spiders with strong multiversal backstories and sizable fandoms, should take the lead. The rest of the cast should be filled with other popular Spiders (like 2099) as well as some of the weirder, more out-there characters and realities.

Also, I agree: go with Spiderverse as the brand rather than Web Warriors.

-Pav, who would also utilize evil Spiders as well...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

iMan 42s

If it starts over

1. Reduce cast to 4
    2. Everyone gets a unique power-set. There is no standard and there is no singular definition of Spider-man. Spiders do so much weirder shit than just climb walls, shoot web, and occasionally cloak or glide.
    3. No Spider-man villains or reinterpretations. You have the entire multiverse to use and the entire Marvel Catalogue. You can and should use anybody else because as "important" and "iconic" as they are, you're gimping story telling avenues and nobody reads about Spider-man strolling through the multiverse just to punch kingpin or Electro.
    4. Everybody needs a personality, a motivation, and a clear cut reason for being here. They don't need to be a team, you just need them to do the job.
    5. Sell people on the team in 6 issues or less. Marvel will pump out enough to make a trade, we do not and should not have to wait an entire run to get to the damn point.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Spectacular Member

I want to see an Web Warriors team with Peter, Cindy, Kaine, Ben, Miguel and maybe Otto too, them facing topics about the Spider-Totems, could be discover the origin of the inheritors, facing the Spider-Norman Osborn and whatever plan he has, facing the Gatekeeper or some other totem who has decided that most of them like Ben, Kaine and Otto are a disgrace to the web and should not exist and decides to hunt them down to kill them, or discovering more about the totem side of their powers.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathangoop1811 View Post
    I want to see an Web Warriors team with Peter, Cindy, Kaine, Ben, Miguel and maybe Otto too, them facing topics about the Spider-Totems, could be discover the origin of the inheritors, facing the Spider-Norman Osborn and whatever plan he has, facing the Gatekeeper or some other totem who has decided that most of them like Ben, Kaine and Otto are a disgrace to the web and should not exist and decides to hunt them down to kill them, or discovering more about the totem side of their powers.
    The origin of the Inheritors was revealed in the finale of Spider-Geddon. Solus, their father, deliberately twisted himself into a predator that fed on the life-force of other beings, particularly those with connections to animal totems, and then twisted his children as well, forcing them to become monsters like himself through truly horrific abuse that somehow, only Karn, the later Master Weaver, was strong enough to resist on some level, which led to him eventually turning on the rest of the Inheritors the way he did in Spider-Verse. Oh, and the Inheritors, as we know them, are dead now; they've been reincarnated/reanimated as babies being raised in a loving home by Spider-Ma'am (spider-powered Aunt May) and her Ben and Peter Parker and no longer have the hunger for life energy that Solus coded into their DNA.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Generally agree with everything above - small-ish cast with at least one headliner, give everyone a distinct power or weakness, find different villains/problems than a multiversal team-up of classic Spidey villains, and keep the arcs short and to the point. Call it something straightforward with "Spider-verse" front and center. Oh, and stop making new Spider-characters for awhile - we don't need another all new, all different Spider-man when we already have 50 I wouldn't mind seeing more of.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I'd like to see a 616 in-universe team of Web Warriors. Such a group would give the Scarlet Spiders, Silk & Spider-Girl something to do.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    Generally agree with everything above - small-ish cast with at least one headliner, give everyone a distinct power or weakness, find different villains/problems than a multiversal team-up of classic Spidey villains, and keep the arcs short and to the point. Call it something straightforward with "Spider-verse" front and center. Oh, and stop making new Spider-characters for awhile - we don't need another all new, all different Spider-man when we already have 50 I wouldn't mind seeing more of.
    Already to late, look at may solicitations. They are introducing spider-bite in friendly neighborhood spider-man.