Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Crap, I was tired. Let me find the right one.

Here it is!

Incredible Member

I think, there's no song that should banned from cover. The moment an artist has an interesting personal take on the song, owns it, it's great.
    What is forbidden is imitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Born To Run.
    Why not?
    An iconic rock song like this must have been
    Covered many many times
    Heck even Leather Tuscadero covered it in 1978

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Any Stevie Wonder song. I tend to go into Stevie Wonder covers like 'this could be cool', and I walk away from it going 'what was the point?'
    I rarely disagree with you, but I do on this.

Stevie has been a prolific songwriter for other people (Aretha's Until You Come Back To Me, Rufus' Tell me Something Good, Miracles' Tears of a Clown etc), and there are some really good covers of his songs by some of his closer associates like Syreeta or Tata Vega.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Why not?
    An iconic rock song like this must have been
    Covered many many times
    Heck even Leather Tuscadero covered it in 1978
    I'm not saying it hasn't been covered. I'm saying it shouldn't be.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Sweet Child of Mine. Slash and Axl made a very dynamic song and the two really hit on something perfect in Guns N Roses. As the story goes Rose heard this "skipping exercise" Slash had started (which he hated once everyone seized on it) and wrote lyrics about his ex-girlfriend Erin Everly. The song clearly is Guns N Roses. It broke them through and they all played a part in it as each band member took what Slash had and added to it til Axl kicked in lyrics.

So imagine years later that the film Big Daddy was coming out. The producers wanted to use "Sweet Child of Mine". But at the time Rose and the guys were in midst of a lawsuit. Rose re-recorded Appetite for Destruction with the newer version of G'n'R to get around that and was gonna release the song for use. But this was blocked and producers had to go get Sheryl Crow to do a version of the original song. It lacks the whole punch of the Guns version.

Of course to do that cover and appease both sides of Guns N Roses at this point the producer of the movie comically came up with an idea which split the song. This is what they came up with folks. They took half the song from a live version (which isn't that good a live version once u hear it) and suddenly at the 3:08 mark the new 1999 version kicks in ! Its one of the oddest things ever done I have seen.

They should have just used the entire 1999 version really. But the whole lawsuit deal had them scramble and we got a worthless cover (and I love Sheryl Crow too) and a weird credits song as they rolled.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.