Default Why is Batman the most prestigious of the Batman titles?

I only started seriously reading Batman regularly at the New 52 so I'm certainty not saying it's always been the case. But at least in that time frame Batman always gets the most coverage. And I'm not saying the quality is always better, I've enjoyed Detective tremendously in the last few years.

I also don't see the same dynamic on the Superman side; Superman and Action have roughly the same level of prestige to me.

Is this something DC has intentionally done? How long has it been this way?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I only started seriously reading Batman regularly at the New 52 so I'm certainty not saying it's always been the case. But at least in that time frame Batman always gets the most coverage. And I'm not saying the quality is always better, I've enjoyed Detective tremendously in the last few years.

I also don't see the same dynamic on the Superman side; Superman and Action have roughly the same level of prestige to me.

It's always been like that. It is Batman's MAIN title. The title keeps a tight focus on Batman unlike something like Tec or Batman and Robin which really aren't solo Batman books or focused on just batman.

So the prestige comes from it being batman's solo title and DC's flagship title

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    It's always been like that. It is Batman's MAIN title.
    not really Untill the 2000s they were realtivly equal in importance, in the 70s and early 80s multiple issue story lines would even published across both books.

I think the big difference now is that all the major Batman story arcs are usually published in Batman, while TEC has usually smaller scale stories.

The writer of Batman can change the current status quo of Batman in major ways, the writer of TEC has basically to follow what the Batman writer does.
    Last edited by Aahz; 03-02-2019 at 06:22 AM.

I don't know exactly since when but at least since the Modern Age (1986), Batman is the title that features Batman somewhat Solo stories while Detective Comics follows every hero of Gotham.
    So the real title about Batman is the Batman title. That is why it is more concidered than Detective Comics. It has nothing to do with the quality of what's inside.

But to change a bit the subject, during the New52 era the Batman and Detective Comics titles were of pretty bad qualities.
    If you hanven't read, I suggest the Batman & Robin title. Probobaly one of the best Batman run ever. And the Batman, The Dark Knight title as well, with stories centered on vilains.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    not really Untill the 2000s they were realtivly equal in importance, in the 70s and early 80s multiple issue story lines would even published across both books.

I think the big difference now is that all the major Batman story arcs are usually published in Batman, while TEC has usually smaller scale stories.

The writer of Batman can change the current status quo of Batman in major ways, the writer of TEC has basically to follow what the Batman writer does.
    I agree, because in the 90's Batman and Tec were companions to one another, I think it was when Morrison came on board when Batman took the main stage. Batman became the title where the status quo would be affected while Tec took on mostly one off stories, especially under Dini

For a long time Detective Comics was an anthology. The first 26 issues didn't even have Batman in them and for several years after the book also had stories with other characters. While Batman was the
    featured character in Batman from the very beginning. With Action Comics although it also started out as an anthology it featured Superman from the very beginning and was best known for Superman.
    So the Superman comic book wasn't as unique.

Why is Batman the most prestigious of the Batman titles?