Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Is Disney going to shut down Marvel Comics?

I saw this just a while ago on google news. Is it just a rumor?

Extraordinary Member

No chance. The uproar would be too much, and so long as comics make a dollar, it is money for Disney.

iMan 42s

So Disney plans to shutdown comics in a subsidiary that costs them no actual money and plan to do this in the midst of various events and active titles which is keeping hundreds of people employed and has effectively cornered the market in regards to publishers..... yeah that doesn't compute.

A reminder, if Marvel was to go under tomorrow, all Disney would do is put it on their taxes. That's it.

EDIT: You can actually google the figures. Some of them are public but we simply don't know digital sales which has also proven to be enough to keep books afloat. Books also have something of a bar at 20,000 and even that's lowered over the years seeing as Marvel has enough money to keep some things going or they sell well in trades.

Marvel will also be acquiring a lot of franchises presumably from Disney and just got Conan back. They have no reason to shutdown especially seeing as it costs Disney nothing. The website that speculation is from also believes it's shutting down because of a panel about comics to cinema. So basically hosting a panel about how comics translate to film is a sign of the end days? Bullshit.
    Last edited by SuperiorIronman; 03-01-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    So Disney plans to shutdown comics in a subsidiary that costs them no actual money and plan to do this in the midst of various events and active titles which is keeping hundreds of people employed and has effectively cornered the market in regards to publishers..... yeah that doesn't compute.

A reminder, if Marvel was to go under tomorrow, all Disney would do is put it on their taxes. That's it.
    I've never understood why Disney and Time Warner don't just treat comic books as market research. The potential revenue is there and the cost is minimum

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I've never understood why Disney and Time Warner don't just treat comic books as market research. The potential revenue is there and the cost is minimum
    They do. At least Marvel does. MCU content is tested and otherwise studied within past sales and current comics.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member

Doubt it. Marvel Comics are their R&D department for the Marvel properties. It's where they workshop new storylines and characters they can use for TV and film.

Ultimate Member

Even if they took away the floppies-they are not going to stop doing OGN or trades.

And funny those who seek the end of Marvel fail to realize something.

Who is going to replace all those customers that Marvel bought to stores?

Crowd funded books?

Image or IDW or Valiant? The books many look DOWN upon in the first place? The books that couldn't get support during the "WE HATE MARVEL MOVEMENT?"

The books that WERE better than some of Marvel's book but got no support? Like Lion Forge's Noble or Image's Prodigy that is 100+ better than Black Panther? Yet get ignored because we have to put more effort in attacking Marvel than buying other books?

And when will folks realize the only person who can save a comic book store is that STORE OWNER.

Where does it say you have to buy/order all those variants? Tons of Number ones or events?

Marvel can't do what you ALLOW them to do.

They could careless if you only order 5 copies of Moon Girl. She is not flooding bins. That is Peter Parker books.

Marvel is not the one sending stuff like Funko Pops to stores after every other store on the planet got them MONTHS ago.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Doubt it. Marvel Comics are their R&D department for the Marvel properties. It's where they workshop new storylines and characters they can use for TV and film.
    Yep.

The comic publishing arm of their business still generates content for licencing, marketing, other forms of media and so on. There is more to the comic publishing than just selling physical comics.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post

EDIT: You can actually google the figures. Some of them are public but we simply don't know digital sales which has also proven to be enough to keep books afloat. Books also have something of a bar at 20,000 and even that's lowered over the years seeing as Marvel has enough money to keep some things going or they sell well in trades.

Marvel will also be acquiring a lot of franchises presumably from Disney and just got Conan back. They have no reason to shutdown especially seeing as it costs Disney nothing. The website that speculation is from also believes it's shutting down because of a panel about comics to cinema. So basically hosting a panel about how comics translate to film is a sign of the end days? Bullshit.
    One way to look at comics is a research & development division that makes money. Why on Earth would they shut it down?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This always sounded like a bunch of nonsense to me.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I have no idea how true or not this rumor is, and I certainly wouldn't trust Joe Quesada or Dan Didio in what they have to say about this topic because no CEO of any company is going to come out and say "we're shutting down" prior to it happening.

Having said that, I've long argued that the direct market is a dying entity and it was only a matter of time before the doors closed permanently on the floppies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Please don't get these trolls started up.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    What is the source of this news? Google didn't originate it, did they?

Do you blindly believe EVERYTHING you see mentioned on Google / on the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    DC fired a large portion of it's staff and if reducing it's number of books to 22 this year.
    And I'm going to ask you a similar question: What is your specific source for these FACTS?

The reason I ask this is because there had been much discussion of this supposed news over in the DC Comics section (https://community.cbr.com/showthread...from-DC-Comics) last month, and I believe the "large portion" didn't turn out to be that large, and the "22" number also turned out not to be exact.

The source is Cosmicbook.news, a fake news website.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Again Marvel is owned by Disney and dc by wb two of the biggest movie companies in the world. I'm sure they will be fine.