Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The independent publishers are really struggling right now and guys like Dark Horse have lost most (and will probably lose Aliens and Predator with the Fox/Disney deal) of their licenses.
    Dark Horse still has Hellboy and his various spin off character books I think.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    lol

Good one

Can you provide the link to this? Would like to read the article that came with it.
    The graph you mean? Sure, it came from Comichron here.

If you were referring to movie estimates, aka Avengers beating out Star Wars, here are a few sources:

https://www.thewrap.com/top-10-box-o...r-2019-photos/

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range...ecord-opening/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/gal...r-2019-photos/

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    The graph you mean? Sure, it came from Comichron here.

If you were referring to movie estimates, aka Avengers beating out Star Wars, here are a few sources:

https://www.thewrap.com/top-10-box-o...r-2019-photos/

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range...ecord-opening/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/gal...r-2019-photos/
    Thank You
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Thank You
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Dark Horse still has Hellboy and his various spin off character books I think.
    They won't survive on that alone.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    This is literally coming from the salty doofus from CosmicBookNews, who got it from parasitic incompetent Jude Terror, who made it up because that's all he's capable of doing, to the point that now Joe Quesada has had to outright state that a panel is literally just a panel.
    Is it the guy who had a crusade against any Nova comic that wasn't solely about Richard Rider?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They won't survive on that alone.
    They have a lot of video game licenses, MST3K, American Gods, and the Black Hammer universe as well. Berger Books has been doing well for them and they have a very healthy relationship with Chuck Palahniuk as well as Evan Dorkin, to boot. G. Willow Wilson and Christian Ward have a new book dropping this month via DH, too. Disney seems to like them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Is it the guy who had a crusade against any Nova comic that wasn't solely about Richard Rider?
    Same dude!
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

BANNED

This rumor is kind of dumb, if anything, they should be shutting down the marvel cartoons not the comics.
    But either way, still dumb.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    Same dude!
    I have followed this person's antics ever since I found his bias reviews...
    This does not surprise me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    This rumor is kind of dumb, if anything, they should be shutting down the marvel cartoons not the comics.
    Apparently that is happening for the most part, they've reportedly stopped production on the current Avengers and Spider-Man cartoons. There will still be animated projects, but not as many.

Yeah, the only current cartoon with any plans past this year is Marvel Rising (I expect we'll hear about it's fifth storyline when Heart of Iron is out). There's also a Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur series planned, but that's at an external animation studio.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, the only current cartoon with any plans past this year is Marvel Rising (I expect we'll hear about it's fifth storyline when Heart of Iron is out). There's also a Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur series planned, but that's at an external animation studio.
    And "The Offenders" shows on Hulu, which...yeah .

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

I don't understand how comics serve as a test ground for new stories and characters. Isn't the population that reads comics much smaller than the population that watches the movies? Just because a character or story doesn't resonate with comic book fans doesn't automatically mean it will resonate with general audiences. What am I missing?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    I don't understand how comics serve as a test ground for new stories and characters. Isn't the population that reads comics much smaller than the population that watches the movies? Just because a character or story doesn't resonate with comic book fans doesn't automatically mean it will resonate with general audiences. What am I missing?
    The population that reads comics is much smaller than the number of people who see movies, sure, but the same is true of the number of people who read books as opposed to the number of people who see movies. But you see the worth of novels being published, yes? And you understand that a popular novel can be adapted into a successful film that will reach millions of people who seldom, if ever, pick up a book, right?

So just apply the same thinking to comics and comic book adaptations.

Just because most moviegoers didn't read, say, Brubaker's Cap run, it didn't stop the Winter Soldier movie from resonating with them. And that movie only existed because the comics already told a tale that producers knew would make for a compelling, exciting film.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 03-05-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    Considering many of the movies are already taking story elements and characters from this past decade (Black Order, Carol as Captain Marvel, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, eventually Kamala Ms. Marvel, etc.), its clear they do put some stock in continuing to do new ideas because you never know which is going to be the most popular.