Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    There is a Disney store in my local shopping mall but I've not be in it.

Are Disney stores not selling Marvel comics?

Seems like a strange missed opportunity if Disney stores aren't selling comics. I could understand them not selling floppies but I would of thought they would sell trades at least.
    I wish I could answer that - but the Disney Store where I am closed down a few years ago.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I wish I could answer that - but the Disney Store where I am closed down a few years ago.
    They're not - Disney stores are all clothes, toys, and the like. I haven't been in one around the time of a movie release though, so they might be selling comics merch.

And for the topic at hand... this is just a rumor. There's little to no possible or conceivable way that, at this moment, Disney is shutting down Marvel Comics. When the bubble does pop and the industry goes under, it won't be Marvel that goes first, especially not in an era where it has the majority amount of market share. It'll be something like Image, Valiant, Boom, or IDW.
    Last edited by Harpsikord; 03-04-2019 at 04:35 AM.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Dark Horse will likely be the first big name to go, as they've lost several major franchises in recent years. First Disney buying Marvel and Lucasfilm cost them Star Wars, then Marvel took Conan back, and then Fox bought a stake in Boom Studios, leading Buffy to go there. They may lose the rest of the 20th Century Fox properties to either Marvel or Boom after Disney takes over Fox (which is due to happen this month). They're definitely in a precarious position.

Boom would be in trouble if Hasbro decide to take Power Rangers off them and hand it to IDW, who have most of Hasbro's other licences. IDW are the third safest publisher after Marvel and DC because of Hasbro and Disney licensing stuff to them. But as long as they have PR, Boom should be fine.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Again marvel and dc are owned by two of the biggest movie companies in the world. I can't see them closing down anytime soon. I'm sure they will chug along like they have been for the last couple of years for now. 20 years from now or 30 years from now who knows. Will they go digital and trades in the future? Beats me. Disney did kill ALL it's video game companies in one day and everyone said they would never close so Disney has done this but marvel movies are huge and due to that I think marvel is safe.

If they did shut marvel down they would just license the heroes out to other comic companies like they do mickey, big hero 6 (a marvel comic by the way),and muppets. Heck they have done this with archie, idw, and manga books using marvel heroes!

As for Disney stores here's a walkthrough from youtube. We don't have one here.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Again marvel and dc are owned by two of the biggest movie companies in the world. I can't see them closing down anytime soon. I'm sure they will chug along like they have been for the last couple of years for now. 20 years from now or 30 years from now who knows. Will they go digital and trades in the future? Beats me. Disney did kill ALL it's video game companies in one day and everyone said they would never close so Disney has done this but marvel movies are huge and due to that I think marvel is safe.

If they did shut marvel down they would just license the heroes out to other comic companies like they do mickey, big hero 6 (a marvel comic by the way),and muppets. Heck they have done this with archie, idw, and manga books using marvel heroes!

As for Disney stores here's a walkthrough from youtube. We don't have one here.

The thing is, if the industry gets to the point that Marvel is shut down, there likely won't be any other publisher still standing (maybe except DC).

The independent publishers are really struggling right now and guys like Dark Horse have lost most (and will probably lose Aliens and Predator with the Fox/Disney deal) of their licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Dark Horse will likely be the first big name to go, as they've lost several major franchises in recent years. First Disney buying Marvel and Lucasfilm cost them Star Wars, then Marvel took Conan back, and then Fox bought a stake in Boom Studios, leading Buffy to go there. They may lose the rest of the 20th Century Fox properties to either Marvel or Boom after Disney takes over Fox (which is due to happen this month). They're definitely in a precarious position.

Boom would be in trouble if Hasbro decide to take Power Rangers off them and hand it to IDW, who have most of Hasbro's other licences. IDW are the third safest publisher after Marvel and DC because of Hasbro and Disney licensing stuff to them. But as long as they have PR, Boom should be fine.
    I was just about to say, if IDW, Boom, Dynamite, Image, Dark Horse, Archie, etc. are able to do just fine in this current climate, while making nowhere near as much as Marvel and DC do, then they have nothing to worry about.

I think that proves that the people spreading the rumours about "Marvel or DC shutting down" or "failing" that they aren't actually worried about the comics industry, they just want everything they don't like to fail, while all the other companies that actually would benefit some more help in the industry are ignored.

iMan 42s

I'm pretty sure that for the time being, we'll not be seeing Alien or Predator under Marvel. Snagging Alien at least during the 40th anniversary content drops just sounds like a bad idea.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think that proves that the people spreading the rumours about "Marvel or DC shutting down" or "failing" that they aren't actually worried about the comics industry, they just want everything they don't like to fail, while all the other companies that actually would benefit some more help in the industry are ignored.
    This is a faulty argument.

Comic's Sales signify success or failure.

Healthy expansive line of titles signify success or failure

Even Shops staying open or closed to a degree signify success or failure.

Emotion does not.

Edit:

There are a lot of signs of things not going as well as Marvel and DC claims and very little signs that everything is fine. It could be the case that things are fine but the only proof we have is the way they manipulate store owners into buying their books to make it so.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 03-04-2019 at 08:13 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

iMan 42s

It's also a problem of misreading the market.

When ordering content you need to take into account what sells in the store. Sales figures for the individual store matters as you could end up with a ton of material you can't do anything with. The old shop I went to has this problem due to them viewing event comics as the number 1 pull into the shop, problem is that it's not. Back during Secret Empire they ordered far too much and as a result put people's sub-boxes in the discount pile to make room for the event. So now they had all this Secret Empire stuff (and I mean boxes filled with it) and months later you could still find it on the rack. However you only have so much business and only so much of that business is looking for Secret Empire. You don't do this over ordering on presumed sales because you can't guarantee it'll move.

The shop I currently go to does pay attention to their figures and will only get so much of each thing. Last I was there I listened to the guy argue with the distributor on DnD dice and Marvel books for that very reason. It can't just sit on the shelves it's gotta move.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I can confirm that Disney is planning to shut down Marvel Comics. My uncle is a Disney executive and he told me that the plan was to shut down Marvel Comics because the political correct agenda of Marvel's editors have left the comics unsalvageable, and Disney wants to do something before it hurts the movie brand. I didn't like the sound of that, so we got into a big argument that ended with us getting into a fistfight. It was one little fight, but my mom got scared, she said "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror, if anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, "Nah, forget it, Yo homes to Bel-Air!". I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8, and I yelled to the cabby yo homes smell ya later. I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.

Another notch on Disney's belt, right next to the one for LucasArts.

Not sure why Bleeding Cool thought they had a story here (although that site has been wrong many, many times, so maybe I answered my own question there, they have a reputation as the boy that cried wolf), other than 2017, the industry has been steadily increasing in profitability:

SalesBreakdown.JPG

Moreover, even IF the comics division of Marvel was not profitable (which it is), they would still keep it around to mine it for stories. I know it's been long hypothesized that eventually floppies would go the way of the dinosaur, but that time is not now, not when the MCU is the most profitable franchise Disney has (Hollywood insiders are actually putting Avengers: Endgame estimates above Star Wars: Episode 9).

Much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbat View Post
    I can confirm that Disney is planning to shut down Marvel Comics. My uncle is a Disney executive and he told me that the plan was to shut down Marvel Comics because the political correct agenda of Marvel's editors have left the comics unsalvageable, and Disney wants to do something before it hurts the movie brand. I didn't like the sound of that, so we got into a big argument that ended with us getting into a fistfight. It was one little fight, but my mom got scared, she said "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air." I whistled for a cab and when it came near the license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror, if anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought, "Nah, forget it, Yo homes to Bel-Air!". I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8, and I yelled to the cabby yo homes smell ya later. I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there, to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-Air.
    lol

Good one

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Not sure why Bleeding Cool thought they had a story here (although that site has been wrong many, many times, so maybe I answered my own question there, they have a reputation as the boy that cried wolf), other than 2017, the industry has been steadily increasing in profitability:

SalesBreakdown.JPG

Moreover, even IF the comics division of Marvel was not profitable (which it is), they would still keep it around to mine it for stories. I know it's been long hypothesized that eventually floppies would go the way of the dinosaur, but that time is not now, not when the MCU is the most profitable franchise Disney has (Hollywood insiders are actually putting Avengers: Endgame estimates above Star Wars: Episode 9).

Much ado about nothing.
    Can you provide the link to this? Would like to read the article that came with it.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Ultimate Member

I legit laughed at this.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    The fact is print is a dying medium across the board, not something specific to comic books. The dwindling numbers and closing shops is pretty indicative of a dying model. This isn't being a "doomsayer" as much as just telling you that there's no way you're going to be buying floppies 20 years from now except perhaps niche characters or in niche locations. Everything will ultimately go digital.
    Two words: vinyl records.

An industry everybody though was dead and gone, but strangely enough seems to have made a niche comeback.

I wonder if there's anybody here who doesn't know what this is based on?