Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Am I reading the same books as everyone else? Because almost everything I've pulled over the last year has been really high quality and well worth the cost per issue, and I'm new to comics so I have been choosing blind.

Even the stuff that has not been my favorite wasn't for lack of effort. For example, I didn't enjoy the story in the Ant-man and the Wasp mini but the artwork was incredible, maybe the best I've seen so far.

Plus now that I bought an Unlimited subscription, I've gone back and read stuff from 10-20 years ago and even though I have enjoyed a lot of it, by no means is it better than stuff like Venom, Immortal Hulk, from today.
    Baby Thanos

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    No chance. The uproar would be too much, and so long as comics make a dollar, it is money for Disney.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Please don't get these trolls started up.
    Absolutely this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    >Marvel is the top-selling comic publisher every month for well over a year.
    >Marvel is going to shut down cuz they're failing

Lol sure
    Yep. Definitely this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    This is literally coming from the salty doofus from CosmicBookNews, who got it from parasitic incompetent Jude Terror, who made it up because that's all he's capable of doing, to the point that now Joe Quesada has had to outright state that a panel is literally just a panel.
    And 100% this.

News Alert: These sort of dipshit rumors are generated by - surprise! - actual dipshits. People need to stop putting stock in what proven morons and asshats have to say.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    Am I reading the same books as everyone else? Because almost everything I've pulled over the last year has been really high quality and well worth the cost per issue, and I'm new to comics so I have been choosing blind.

Even the stuff that has not been my favorite wasn't for lack of effort. For example, I didn't enjoy the story in the Ant-man and the Wasp mini but the artwork was incredible, maybe the best I've seen so far.

Plus now that I bought an Unlimited subscription, I've gone back and read stuff from 10-20 years ago and even though I have enjoyed a lot of it, by no means is it better than stuff like Venom, Immortal Hulk, from today.
    Seriously, the books that have been coming out over the past year and a half have been some of the best in recent memory.

If you can't find something you like at Marvel right now, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Seriously, the books that have been coming out over the past year and a half have been some of the best in recent memory.

If you can't find something you like at Marvel right now, you're doing it wrong.
    No, I am not.
    Marvel is doing wrong, as there is currently no title I am buying.

And by the way, what refinded words about people having a different opinion, like ˋdipshits‘ and ˋasshats‘. Really classy.

By the way, happy for your enjoyment of Marvel‘s output, but please, not everybody enjoys the same.

BANNED

God what a low effort OP. Also the rumour comes from very unreliable sources as detailed by many so I wouldn't put any stock into it

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    No, I am not.

And by the way, what refinded words about people having a different opinion, like ˋdipshits‘ and ˋasshats‘. Really classy.

By the way, happy for your enjoyment of Marvel‘s output, but please, not everybody enjoys the same.
    Which series have you tried and not liked?
    Baby Thanos

BANNED

For me the big question about comics' importance as "idea-generators" and "content" and not valuable in and on its own is...how do creators feel that their work inspires billion dollar stuff of which they're not going to get any red cent?

Like take Infinity War, it features Corvus Glaive, Proxima Midnight, Ebony Maw, those characters were created by Jonathan Hickman for Infinity, a tie-in series that came after Avengers 1 revived and teased Thanos.

Kevin Feige has been open about the fact that Captain Marvel the upcoming movie is based on Kelly Sue DeConnick's series.

Bendis' character is the star of ITSV who brought Oscar gold to Marvel.

But little of that will go to the writers and artists, though ITSV has gone above and beyond in crediting and honoring Bendis and Pichelli.

Comics still sell well, they are just diversifying the formats in which they are sold. Honestly when was the last time you went to a book store that didn't have a graphic novel section?

Extraordinary Member

No, I am not.

But why don't you like the books? What is your problem with them?

BANNED

Well nice to know most of us can see through this "Marvel closing" bs.
    On a site like GameFAQs this would have been a 5 to 10-page discussion with people saying that this is definitely happening.

BANNED

It's not about differing opinions. People are free to like or not like what they want.

It's about people who, in search of cheap, clickbait headlines, spread unsubstantiated rumors and outright falsehoods.

These are people who hold themselves to no standards of honesty or fact-checking and instead fuel irresponsible speculation.

Based on that, and not on any simple difference of opinion, they are, in fact, dipshits and asshats.

Sentinel of Liberty WinterSoldier76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    1. I'm not being overdramatic. I'm not even in a fuss about. If Marvel closed the comic side of it's doors today there would be a buzz for probably less than a week and then people will shrug and move on. The average person on the street is not reading or care about these books. There are probably more people under the impression that comic books are no longer being made than those who actually know where their local comic books shop is in their own town.

2. I'm of the current belief that Comicsgate and SJW's are a hate groups (at least until proven otherwise) please do not associate them with me.

3. Just because some one is at the top of a declining industry doesn't mean you are winning. Saying that doesn't mean anything. If you have 4 people in a boat who can't swim and the boat flips over is the last person to hit water making out better than the first? No, it's faulty logic.

4. Movie and Merch at this point don't need to depend on comics. Most of merch being sold is pretty much the same characters who have had deals forever. They also do not need the comics to come out with new merch or "new characters" to Movie and Animated audiences. Marvel's bench is so deep Disney can mine it for the next 30-50 years and be fine.With most of the characters seeming new to the world at large. They don't need the comics for that.

5. Books are in the top 100 today that are only making sales of $20,000 per unit. Just 10-12 years back if your title was selling that low it was canceled.

Some on the forum like to shift expectations and I get it. But at least be honest with yourself. Disney bought Marvel not for it's comics but for what it can do with their IP's in movies, animated features, merchandise, and attraction/amusement rides and entertainment. If the comic side is not profitable it will get cut. No manner of bad press will save that.
    Bro, speak for yourself. I know plenty of people who are buying Marvel books weekly from comic shops that have established a culture from weekly / monthly pull lists. Additionally I happen to think Marvel’s publishing line is currently turning out very high quality books compared to the “All New All Different” era and have their creators fine tuned on their perspective current story arcs. Maybe you should take your head out of the sand and read what’s happening instead of lamenting some weird agenda?

No chance. The uproar would be too much, and so long as comics make a dollar, it is money for Disney.
    What uproar? 80% of America only knows iron man from the movies and games and cartoons. They don't read comics. They think the rdj tony is the real tony stark. Why do you think dc made those Wal-Mart books and marvel made the archie comics? To get new readers that don't go to comic shops. If marvel and dc both closed up most people won't care. They still have the movies, toys, cartoons and games. Most have never read a comic or only read them as kids. With that said I don't think Disney would shut down marvel as it's a great way to draw stories for the movies and promote the films. Why do you think they have events like cw 2 and the infinity events and spider-verse 2 to go along with the films.

Agents of shield get awful ratings but Disney uses it to promote the movies so it keeps coming back and the comics are the same. Marvel might get books cut down if worse comes to worse but I can't see Disney killing it unless the movies all bomb.

But comics are in AWFUL shape in north America other then the ones that do well in schools like moon girl and ms marvel. Manga is in better shape then comics as we see with the dc comics changes going on. They need new young readers badly or who will read comics when our generation dies?

But yeah I don't see marvel going anywhere. Plus Disney owns them and i'm sure Disney won't end anytime soon. Marvel should be fine.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 03-02-2019 at 07:18 AM.

Eh, most people will remain blind.

Brian Hibbs, a retailer with one of the largest chain of comic book shops, is out right telling people what is going on and most of the people on this board are like "Nah bro everything is fine". It is so obvious even in this forum that interest has been lowered. The only reason I stopped being a lurker was because there were less and less people and threads to read. But no big whats the saying..."You can't change sheep even with a plural", time will tell and the truth always wins in the end.

Another article about a way to "save" the comic book industry
    https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/...book-industry/
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Is this a thread from 2009?
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.