Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I agree, although I didn't like the jab he sort of gave to the Bronze Age by having the Batman and Robin pastiches being in suspended animation since the "Silver Age".
    I didn't see that as a big deal with symbolic implications about the Bronze Age. I just saw it as the same sort of thing that Stan Lee had done in the 1960s as an excuse for having "the legendary Captain America from WWII" still be "in his prime as he joins the newfangled team called the Avengers," instead of being visibly middle-aged.

Ever since Stan paved the way, lots of other comic book writers, both before and after Alan Moore's "Supreme" run, have done very similar things in order to create Convenient Excuses for "veteran superheroes of a bygone era" (Golden Age or Silver Age or whatever) to still look young and fit in "modern times"; it's practically become a Sacred Tradition of the genre!
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 08-28-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    I didn't see that as a big deal with symbolic implications about the Bronze Age. I just saw it as the same sort of thing that Stan Lee had done in the 1960s as an excuse for having "the legendary Captain America from WWII" still be "in his prime as he joins the newfangled team called the Avengers," instead of being visibly middle-aged.

Ever since Stan paved the way, lots of other comic book writers, both before and after Alan Moore's "Supreme" run, have done very similar things in order to create Convenient Excuses for "veteran superheroes of a bygone era" (Golden Age or Silver Age or whatever) to still look young and fit in "modern times"; it's practically become a Sacred Tradition of the genre!
    Except one of the main reasons for the Captain America retcon was to remove 50's Cap, which I understand reeks of McCarthism until they retcon that was a seperate Captain America.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I was browsing through an old Image comic in the collection and I came across this:
    699408-usmale.jpg
    U.S. Male
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 08-29-2014 at 04:46 PM.

My favorite Superman pastiche comes from one of my favorite cartoons ever, "The Ripping Friends", in episode 4. "This looks like a job for... POOPERMAN!"

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Wow, some many pastiches on Marvel's side.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

BANNED

He's only a one-off but i re-read the superman 80 page giant and i imagine Crimson Meteor would qualify as a superman pastiche.

http://www.dcuguide.com/who.php?name=crimsonmeteor

"In his prime, the Crimson Meteor could juggle pianos, fly like an eagle, and laugh if some goon hit him with a lead pipe. He could see things a mile away and hear a baby cry in the next country."

Once he lost his powers , he became a cartoonist and use superman and his own adventures to draw "Captain tomorrow".

In response to the post about how great Supreme was, which I'd intended to quote but somehow screwed up--

Couldn't agree more. A must-read for any fan of the Silver Age stuff, and 'Lex' (Dax) lives up to the legend here, definitely.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Would knockoffs count? Anyone mentioned the awesome:
    Capitan Rayo / Captain Ray!
    Literally a repainted Superman.(although with Aquaman's head.)

Not mine...

I actually wish DC would secure the rights to this character since it was produced under their label, and actually use him.
    He's actually cooler than allot of the lame attempts at Latin/Hispanic heroes they've come up with. He has awesome powers and comes with his own built in rogues gallery and a bizarre following.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-03-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Has everyone here been accounted for?

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Except one of the main reasons for the Captain America retcon was to remove 50's Cap, which I understand reeks of McCarthism until they retcon that was a seperate Captain America.
    I'd forgotten about this thread. Sorry I didn't reply to you earlier.

It occurs to me that I don't know exactly what was going through Stan Lee's head when he scripted "Avengers #4" and brought Steve Rogers back to center stage in the Marvel Universe of the mid-1960s with the convenient retcon that Steve had been frozen since 1945 and had missed an awful lot. I don't think I've ever seen any interviews with Stan in which he discussed just why he handled the Captain America revival in the way he did!

And while I know that Steve Englehart, when writing "Captain America" in the 1970s, wrote some material which revealed that the "1950s Anti-Communist Cap" had been a self-appointed successor who became quite mentally ill as a result of a dangerously flawed version of the Super-Soldier Serum (I think that's right), I have never seen any reprints of whatever was happening in the authentic 1950s material with Cap and Bucky, a couple of decades before Englehart decided to retroactively label "1950s Cap" as psychotic!

So I have no idea whether or not I would think there was anything particularly "embarrassing" about "1950s Cap" if I ever had the chance to study the actual evidence with my own eyes! Nor do I know precisely how Stan Lee could reasonably have been expected to feel about those stories in the mid-1960s, if he even bothered to reread 'em before writing "Avengers #4." (It does occur to me that, in other stories published in the 1960s, Stan Lee certainly did not hesitate to show various heroes of his own creation going out there and tangling with nasty Communists who were spies or costumed thugs or whatever.)
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 10-03-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Has everyone here been accounted for?
    Beats me! I can't gauge how many of 'em are already accounted for, because I don't think I can name more than half of the guys in that big panel! (Maybe less than half.) And some of them, I believe, actually called themselves "Superman" on their respective Earths, which isn't quite what I mean when I talk about other characters being "Superman imitations."

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

The Utopian from Mark Millar's Jupiter's Legacy - like Golden Age Supes he was the first superhero of his world and popped up in the Depression Era. Not an alien, but they gave him his powers.

I don't know if anybody has posted this here & I have a few replies earlier in the thread, but I found a listing on comicvine:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profi...niverse/45437/

Some of them seem a bit of a reach, but it's got over 250 candidates. The comments about Marvel in the descriptions are funny too.
    "We're #1! We're #1! All others are #2 or lower!"

I've suspected that Martin Goodman from Marvel Comics wanted the Angel to look the way he was and had him on the cover of Marvel Mystery Comics #2 (December, 1939) specifically as a callback to Superman, wanting to push for him initially instead of the Human Torch and Sub-Mariner.