Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Scooby Doo/Hannah Barbera Crossover Animated Movie Coming May 2020

Last Man on Earth star Will Forte, Jane the Virgin star Gina Rodriguez, Tracy Morgan and Frank Welker are going for a ride in the Mystery Machine.

The actors have closed deals to voice star in the untitled Scooby-Doo animated movie being made by Warner Bros. and its Warner Animation Group division.

Tony Cervone is directing the feature, which counts Chris Columbus, Charles Roven and Allison Abbate are producers.

The project brings to the big screen for the first time since 2004’s live-action Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed the mysterious and borderline supernatural hijinks of four teens and their (borderline) talking Great Dane, Scooby-Doo.

Rodriguez will voice Velma, known as the brains of the group. Forte will voice Shaggy, the scaredy-cat slacker who is best friends with Scooby. Morgan will voice a character not part of the Scooby universe, but rather part of the larger Hanna-Barbera cartoon universe, Captain Caveman.

The story sees the Mystery Inc. gang join forces with other heroes of the Hanna-Barbera universe to save the world from Dick Dastardly and his evil plans...and this time, we are told, the threat is real. The movie is slated for a May 2020 release.

Rodriguez, who in 2018 appeared with Natalie Portman in the sci-fi thriller Annihilation, voiced a character in Smallfoot, an animated offering from Warner’s animated arm, WAG. She is repped by CAA and Jackoway Tyerman.

Forte, who for a decade appeared on Saturday Night Live, recently voiced the part of Abraham Lincoln in Lego Movie 2: The Second Part. He recently wrapped a dramatic role in Laundromat, directed by Steven Soderbergh and also starring Meryl Streep and Gary Oldman.

SNL and 30 Rock alum Morgan will voice Captain Caveman. He also has the Netflix animated series Green Eggs and Ham coming up.

Veteran voice actor Welker's relationship with Scooby-Doo dates to the 1972-73 series The New Scooby-Doo Movies.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...morgan-1177354

....Dick Dastardly should not be a world ending villain. Dude just wants to win a race or get a medal. Thats it. Otherwise it seems neat.

BANNED

I kind of hope this movie borrows elements from. or has nods to, the other crossover series HB did in the past...most of them centred around Yogi Bear as the leader, so if they could get him involved, or have them all take orders from Top Cat like they did in "Treasure Hunt" or we get a Laff-A-Lympics sequence, I'm down

....Dick Dastardly should not be a world ending villain. Dude just wants to win a race or get a medal. Thats it. Otherwise it seems neat.
    Bet he won't be the main bad guy but bet he will accidentally release the main bad guy or main threat and will have to team up at the end.

Remember the universal studios ride?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Not sure how interested I am in another Scooby/HB crossover, but I can respect Will Forte voicing Shaggy for a little while and I'm glad they're keeping Frank Welker. It could be alright.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Poor Lillard. He should be voicing Shaggy but see how Forte goes.

I wonder if Frank Welker is voicing Fred, and I wonder who voices Daphne.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Poor Lillard. He should be voicing Shaggy but see how Forte goes.
    Yeah, going by his response on twitter he had no idea he wasn't going to be in the movie. Or anything about the movie at all. It's not the best look.

Recasting happens a lot in voice over work, but at least with Scooby Doo most of it has historically been due to retirement, death or behind the scenes drama. Of course it could be similar to the Kate Micucci situation where for a while she replaced Mindy Cohn only on the series before gradually taking over for the films as well.

But I guess Forte is a bigger name than Lillard, and it's not like Forte hasn't done a lot of voice over work before. Just sucks that Lillard was in the dark about it.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 03-02-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Yeah, going by his response on twitter he had no idea he wasn't going to be in the movie. Or anything about the movie at all. It's not the best look.

Recasting happens a lot in voice over work, but at least with Scooby Doo most of it has historically been due to retirement, death or behind the scenes drama. Of course it could be similar to the Kate Micucci situation where for a while she replaced Mindy Cohn only on the series before gradually taking over for the films as well.

But I guess Forte is a bigger name than Lillard, and it's not like Forte hasn't done a lot of voice over work before. Just sucks that Lillard was in the dark about it.
    Really? That's a bummer having to find out that way.

I have no issues with Forte to be quite honest, and nothing against him. But having an animated Scooby Doo movie, I would have wanted Lillard.

So I see they're pulling a Jim Cummings with Frank Welker, although is he going to play both Scooby and Fred? Or just Scooby?

And is Daphne not going to be in it?

I really need to see what they do with a Captain Caveman voiced by Tracy Morgan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post

I wasn't surprised. It's pretty common for the VA's in the cartoons to not be informed or brought into big-budget movie adaptions unless they're meant to be in the exact same cartoon continuity (which doesn't happen as often as it used to), especially since those movies generally utilize "stunt-casting" with more bankable names.

I can kind of see Forte as Shaggy if this was, like, around the time Clone High came out but now I think he might sound a little too old for him (although he and Matthew Lillard are apparently only one year apart in age).

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You want to do a big crossover you do the original .... laugh-a-lympics

Ugh, if it's an animated movie anyways, why not just use the regular VAs for this? I know, because they're not celebrities, but still as a fan I can't help but want them to have the right voices. Well, at least Frank Welker looks to still be voicing Scoob, so that's something.

Update the Teen Angels please.

Feels like the Avengers or Justice League movie if there had been no solo movies to set it up. As someone who loves Scooby-Doo, can't say I'm interested, esp. since I was never really a fan of much else outside of that Hanna-Barbarea property (although Flintstones was good and I am fond of Quick Draw).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Matthew Lillard only found out when this story broke, he wasn't informed he was replaced by the studio beforehand.

https://twitter.com/MatthewLillard/s...41160820015104

Daphne's voice actress also feels bad for him

https://twitter.com/GreyDeLisle/stat...60928159948800

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Matthew Lillard only found out when this story broke, he wasn't informed he was replaced by the studio beforehand.

https://twitter.com/MatthewLillard/s...41160820015104

Daphne's voice actress also feels bad for him

https://twitter.com/GreyDeLisle/stat...60928159948800
    Yeah, he's been the regular voice for years and does a flawless job at it. No good reason to replace him, really. (Esp. given that the characters, not the actors, are the draw in these kind of movies.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)