Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bruce Wayne: Better Detective or Better Fighter?

So, we know one of Batman's many sobriquets is within the comics is "The World's Greatest Detective".

But it kinda seems that Bruce is more well-known outside the comics for being "the World's Greatest Fighter".

I've heard way more people rattle on about how Bruce mastered all 300-some forms of martial arts before he put on the cowl.

And whenever his detective skills come up, it's usually in the context of how ready he is to outfox his own teammates on the Justice League or his own Batfam.

What are some recent non-paranoid examples of Bruce being the World's Greatest Detective?

And if we're spreading the wealth here in the DCU, who else should get the title of Greatest Fighter (hero) in the DCU?

I kinda think Black Canary or maybe Hawkman could do better with it.

Batman teamed up with Scooby Doo just last year, and that automatically gives like a 100 point bonus on anyone's detective ranking.

He's definitely one of the DCU's top fighters but Cass, Shiva, and Black Canary usually rank higher...I think even Bronze Tiger has been show to be able to beat Batman in a straight-up fight.

Didn't James Robinson have him doing some detective work in that short-lived 'Tec arc before Tomasi came in? Not that it seemed to be received that well.

Really, Batman's kind of a Jack of All Trades, Master of None, even if he comes as close to mastery as you can get without actually becoming the absolute best.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He's definitely one of the DCU's top fighters but Cass, Shiva, and Black Canary usually rank higher...I think even Bronze Tiger has been show to be able to beat Batman in a straight-up fight.

Didn't James Robinson have him doing some detective work in that short-lived 'Tec arc before Tomasi came in? Not that it seemed to be received that well.

Really, Batman's kind of a Jack of All Trades, Master of None, even if he comes as close to mastery as you can get without actually becoming the absolute best.
    Perfect summation of how I see Batman. What makes him dangerous and formidable is his versatility. Even as a detective there are characters who are arguably better detectives than he is. In pretty much everything he does, he's always in the conversation for the best but he isn't always THE definitive best. It's that versatility and wealth of skills that culminate and makes him the best at what he does; being Batman.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Black Canary? even during her peak under Simone I wouldn't put her above Batman and there's pretty much nothing after or even before that.

As far as I understand Batman can beat anyone in a fight that isn't enhanced in any way. He's also the greatest detective the world has ever known.

Let's combine Connor McGregor with Sherlock Holmes and Bill Gates, give him Jeff Bezos money, Brock Lesnar's body and Ben Affleck's face. To the people who don't think Batman is a superhero... we call that a superhero.

Incredible Member

Batman is better known as a fighter in other medias because action sells better and makes more money than mysteries. Do you think that kids really want to see a Batman cartoon where he sifts through clues solving a mystery instead of swinging on his Batline or driving his Batmobile through Gotham fighting criminals? Or movie goers sitting through a movie watching Batman solve a mystery like Cross' Along Came a Spider? Think that would be a huge blockbuster?

Fantastic Member

Batman was never regarded as the worlds greatest fighter to begin with, not in the comics or the movies and cartoons.

Not buying this idea that Black Canary is a better fighter than Bruce.

Richard Dragon, Shiva, Bronze Tiger and Cassandra Cain are, to my knowledge, some of the only people consistently portrayed as being superior fighters.

I think he's a better fighter than most other detectives and a better detective than most other fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Perfect summation of how I see Batman. What makes him dangerous and formidable is his versatility. Even as a detective there are characters who are arguably better detectives than he is. In pretty much everything he does, he's always in the conversation for the best but he isn't always THE definitive best. It's that versatility and wealth of skills that culminate and makes him the best at what he does; being Batman.
    Yeah, I think in-universe it's pretty much canon that Detective Chimp and maybe Ralph Dibny were better detectives, since it was their specialty, and Bruce was under the impression that Tim would eventually surpass him on that level too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Black Canary? even during her peak under Simone I wouldn't put her above Batman and there's pretty much nothing after or even before that.
    I think Dinah's had deeper martial arts training then Bruce has had (which, given how deep Bruce's was, means her was really deep). I also think she also has a better track record against Shiva in a straight-up fight.

Extraordinary Member

He and Bronze Tiger seems usually to be relativity equal matched. And with Siva it really depends (the writers cranked her skills massively up over the years imo).

Black Canary is hard to say, she has iirc really that many impressive feats as martial artist. And her training background is in comparison to many members of the Batfamily also not that impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think he's a better fighter than most other detectives and a better detective than most other fighters.
    Pretty much this, which honestly ain't that bad a position to be in. Someone who might not actually be as good as the world's best detectives or best fighters, but is consistently mentioned in the same breath as these people as being not that far off from them, is definitely a force to be reckoned with, and the perfect combination to deal with a crime ridden city like Gotham.

He's in top five on both accounts which is pretty impressive.
    I'd put him at 5 as a fighter. After Richard Dragon, Cass, Shiva and Bronze tiger.
    As a detective, I'd agree and put him after detective chimp and ralph since thats their whole schtik.

Extraordinary Member

According to Bronze Tiger in Suicide Squad #21 Batman is a little higher on the list.

Suicide Squad #21.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    According to Bronze Tiger in Suicide Squad #21 Batman is a little higher on the list.

Suicide Squad #21.jpg
    I think the top five would probably be Shiva, Cass, Batman, Richard Dragon, and Bronze Tiger.