Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Detective.

Detective, as in pursuing cold blooded killers.

Detective, as in gaining knowledge of each Justice League member's weaknesses, for in the situation they go rogue.

Detective, as in proving Joker's innocence.

BANNED

As far as I'm concerned, Bruce Wayne is a moose who likes kicking bad guys around; it's been a long time since we've had some really great detective stories.

I would agree he's a jack of all trades, but I think he's the higher on the list of detectives than fighters. Shiva, Cass, Connor Hawke, Richard Dragon, and Bronze Tiger are all better fighters. That doesn't mean he can't beat them, he's not above cheating.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

BANNED

I miss the detective stories of the Silver Age.

I'd say detective since there are less people better than him at that than there are better than him at martial arts. Shiva, Cass, Dragon are better imo although Batman can (and has) beat them when he fights smartly

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Batman is better known as a fighter in other medias because action sells better and makes more money than mysteries. Do you think that kids really want to see a Batman cartoon where he sifts through clues solving a mystery instead of swinging on his Batline or driving his Batmobile through Gotham fighting criminals? Or movie goers sitting through a movie watching Batman solve a mystery like Cross' Along Came a Spider? Think that would be a huge blockbuster?
    Lol something about the way you worded this is so funny. Legit laughed out out at "Cross' Along Came a Spider"

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I would agree he's a jack of all trades, but I think he's the higher on the list of detectives than fighters. Shiva, Cass, Connor Hawke, Richard Dragon, and Bronze Tiger are all better fighters. That doesn't mean he can't beat them, he's not above cheating.
    Yeah, I think it's a point in Batman's favor that he's usually in a situation where he's more concerned about stopping his opponent then having a fair fight with them.

Honestly, I've never really liked either titles. I guess I gravitate more towards the World's Greatest Detective because that gets thrown around in comics a lot and that's where my love of the character comes from and it doesn't take too much away from him. I start to have a problem when people call him the smartest person in the DCU. Someone told me not too long ago that Lex Luthor is the smartest person in the DCU and Batman is second (in reference to Mr. Terrific being the third). That just doesn't work for my interpretation of the character. I believe that Batman is the peak that an average person can become if they have the resources and willpower. Being the second smartest person in the universe or World's Greatest Detective toes too close to the supernatural line.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Honestly, I've never really liked either titles. I guess I gravitate more towards the World's Greatest Detective because that gets thrown around in comics a lot and that's where my love of the character comes from and it doesn't take too much away from him. I start to have a problem when people call him the smartest person in the DCU. Someone told me not too long ago that Lex Luthor is the smartest person in the DCU and Batman is second (in reference to Mr. Terrific being the third). That just doesn't work for my interpretation of the character. I believe that Batman is the peak that an average person can become if they have the resources and willpower. Being the second smartest person in the universe or World's Greatest Detective toes too close to the supernatural line.
    I think Batman's more clever and tactical then he is an above-average super-genius on par with Lex Luthor or Michael Holt.

He's not going to be personally developing the latest cure for cancer but he can use the tools at his disposal in effective ways and out-think people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Batman's more clever and tactical then he is an above-average super-genius on par with Lex Luthor or Michael Holt.

He's not going to be personally developing the latest cure for cancer but he can use the tools at his disposal in effective ways and out-think people.
    He has been pushed as a scientist also. And quite adept at engineering.
    This works in that the brain is another muscle, one that has no limits, and he has worked it more than practically anyone else.

Fantastic Member

he is the dcu's utilityman good at everything but not great he just gets the job done whether by fisticuffs detective work or in a scientific way

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

World's Greatest Detective

He's an OK fighter, but no where near the top. He relies on his brains more than brawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Yeah, it's practical intelligence more so than GENIUS level (whatever that means, anyway). He is Sherlock Holmes. He is tactically smart and analytically brilliant.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    World's Greatest Detective

He's an OK fighter, but no where near the top. He relies on his brains more than brawn.
    Bruce is way above an ok fighter, he is top 5 at least and has beaten or stalemated those considered better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Bruce is way above an ok fighter, he is top 5 at least and has beaten or stalemated those considered better than him.
    He isn't top 5. There's no way to make a top 5, there's billions of people in the world.

He is a way above average fighter, yeah. He's really good because he's trained harder than almost anyone...but he is a detective first and foremost. He isn't going to insert himself into a room without multiple contingency plans on how to get out. He isn't going to start brawling someone who could potentially defeat him, he's going to find a better way around that individual.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The Dark Knight. Gotham's Greatest Protector. Caped Crusader. World's Greatest Detective.

He's a great fighter, but Shiva, Cassandra Cain, and Richard Dragon can all put him down. I don't know enough about Bronze Tiger to have an opinion there, but general consensus seems to point in an edge on his part. Black Canary I'd argue can go 50/50 with him, but Bruce is among the best for sure. Easily top ten, maybe top five.