Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is Hank Pym the Martian Manhunter of the Avengers?

Ok. I know. Everyone is going to say Vision is the Martia Manhunter of the Avengers, but he's WAY more the Red Tornado of the Avengers (would be traitor to the team/joins Young Justice/Avengers, falls for a human, gets robot family members, etc).

But think about it...

Both J'onn and Hank were introduced in sci-fi stories instead of as straight superheroes.

Both have had multiple id's.

Both joined their teams as other idenities (Yellowjacket and Bloodwynd)

Both have been members or leaders of almost every incarnation of their teams (JLA, JLI, JL, JLTF vs Avengers, WCAvengers, Avengers Academy, Avengers AI, Mighty Avengers, and the one Avengers cartoon with none of the big name Avengers).

Both have a large array of powers, including:

- Turning invisible/Turning small
    - Telepathy/Insect telepathy
    - Shapeshifting/Size changing

Both are found members of their team despite other more popular members not being (Spiderman, Green Arrow, etc.).

Both have never had the success of their other finding team members.

Both are family men before the team (Both have deceased wives, and J'onn has a deceased child, while Hank has Nadia).

Both got shafted by their team's major motion pictures (Hank was replaced by Scott, and J'onn by Cyborg).

Anyway, just thought that was interesting. I like finding similarities between Marvel and DC.
    Help a fellow fan out and check out my writing, please:
    My Cage comic strip:
    Re-Runs: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challeng...itle_no=539047
    New: https://www.patreon.com/mycage
    Thanks!

I sorta always felt that way about him.

A lot of people over look Hank but he is actually a lot more powerful than people give him credit for and for most writer to know what to do with.

With his ability to grow and shrink objects combine with his insect TP he could not only be more useful in a fight but he would be very dangerous. But in saying that I only ever seen him increase the size of group of Ants once in his whole career.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

I would say that sersi was more closer power wise to the manhunter as both are not human but are interested in human pursuits and interaction; both have adopted various personas and have complete control over their bodies molecular structure granting virtual immortality/ possess telepathy though of course sersi is more of a extrovert and is not as prominent a member of avengers as John is in the JLA.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 03-02-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Hank doesn't even know Nadia exists. He is, however, an honorary uncle to Cassie Lang, similar to Martian Manhunter's relationship with Miss Martian.

Scott didn't actually replace Hank in the Avengers films. The actual replacement was Hawkeye (and Wasp was replaced by Black Widow). Scott didn't appear until AFTER the first Avengers film, so he's not the one who shafted Hank out of his Avengers founder status.

Martian Manhunter didn't start in a sci-fi story - he just has a sci-fi origin. It was in Detective Comics, and he was a superhero from the start, with his secret identity being that of detective John Jones. Whereas Hank did start in a sci-fi story in Tales to Astonish, getting retooled as a superhero for his second appearance in the same title after the success of Fantastic Four and Spider-Man.
    https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Detective_Comics_Vol_1_225
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

There are similarities between Hank and MM... but I wouldn't honestly equate them to each other.

Hanks most defining aspects are unfortunately his screw up... not his powers or his founder status. Not entirely fair, but that's sort of become what he's known for. I'm frankly not sure there is a DC equivalent t Hank Pym. For better or for worse, Pym sort of is one of a kind.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think if the Vision is more the Martian Manhunter than Hank is. The outsider who really doesn't fit in anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There are similarities between Hank and MM... but I wouldn't honestly equate them to each other.

Hanks most defining aspects are unfortunately his screw up... not his powers or his founder status. Not entirely fair, but that's sort of become what he's known for. I'm frankly not sure there is a DC equivalent t Hank Pym. For better or for worse, Pym sort of is one of a kind.
    Well, Ray Palmer.

Size-changing wise and, setting aside Hank's manic episodes, they have very similar professions and personalities in my opinion, although Ray is generally better regarded in his corner then Hank is in his.

I mean, even comparing him to J'onn...J'onn's been out of the limelight up until very recently but he's never gotten the "Hank Pym" treatment.

nah because some people actually like Hank Pym
    The J-man

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I sorta always felt that way about him.

A lot of people over look Hank but he is actually a lot more powerful than people give him credit for and for most writer to know what to do with.

With his ability to grow and shrink objects combine with his insect TP he could not only be more useful in a fight but he would be very dangerous. But in saying that I only ever seen him increase the size of group of Ants once in his whole career.
    Hank Pym in his scientific adventurer days in the eighties highlighted how powerful he could be even when he wasn't shrinking or enlarging himself. Hank could shrink and enlarge almost anything and was a one man human swiss army knife. He would pull shrunken rocket launchers and machine guns out his pockets and use them in combat.

It's also over looked that Hank, Scott and Janet can control over insects besides ants and wasp. Scott controlled scorpions in a issue of the avengers and Janet controlled a giant alien Dune like space worm also in a issue of the avengers

No trouble about MM is he is bland at times,The trouble with Pym is they never quite found a superhero persona that works for him. My favorite version of Pym is when he was the Wasp in the Mighty avengers. And the writer of that book finally put it all together with him he had the shrinking and growing, bio shock blast, and he was creatively using his powers namely he was shrinking everything and carrying it along with him so science lab,vehicles, tools,weaponry. He finally showed his full hero potential in that book.

Hank Pym isn't MM, He is clearly defined science hero who needs to be away from Tony Stark,Reed Richards and Black Panther because for some reason other smart hero steal his shine in books. It is maybe because they all kind of have a niche and he kinda doesn't and they don't want to use him like Reed who is a supreme jack of all trades. Pym is nick name and well designed costume away from being successful.And honestly it should probably be the Yellowjacket because that is great design and plays on the insect theme except that as yellow jacket he pimp slap his wife and ruined what is probably the best superhero form for him.

If we are doing a DC comparison then Hank Pym is Mr Terrific, A science hero who should be more popular but he stuck behind more popular heroe(s) who already who owns his niche like Batman
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-03-2019 at 12:25 AM.

The costume on the right there isn't Hank, it's Darren Cross, from the final arc of Astonishing Ant-Man, and a villain created for movie synergy. His powers were stolen from Stature (leading Cassie to have the Power Broker make her Stinger).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Hank Pym in his scientific adventurer days in the eighties highlighted how powerful he could be even when he wasn't shrinking or enlarging himself. Hank could shrink and enlarge almost anything and was a one man human swiss army knife. He would pull shrunken rocket launchers and machine guns out his pockets and use them in combat.

It's also over looked that Hank, Scott and Janet can control over insects besides ants and wasp. Scott controlled scorpions in a issue of the avengers and Janet controlled a giant alien Dune like space worm also in a issue of the avengers
    I've read that stuff it was great! Which is one of the many reasons I think he is more powerful then people give him credit for.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Mighty Member

For all of J'onzz's "lesserness" he's still far more respected by writers and editors than Hank ever will be. Charting the course of how he got to where he is now in Snyder's Justice League, none of the Manhunter's appearances seem too far apart or too disrespectul. It just took them a while to restructure thing after the Wildstorm team he was on didn't sell, but I don't think having him on that team was a terrible idea and I personally loved his solo afterwards. Poor Hank, even writers that claim to like him throw him under the bus (Thanks, Duggan). I think the last time Hank was given any respect was by James Robinson during Secret Wars. For all of Pymtron's valid criticisms about the Avengers, the same writers who write that dialogue will never do anything to repair the Avengers' relationship with Hank.

If anything, the closest analog to Hank Pym in the JLA would be Ted Kord.

A science-based insect-themed hero who had a successful (if brief) solo career, but gained more prominence as a member of a team.

Has become something of a joke over time, and has since been supplanted in the public consciousness by a later successor.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    No trouble about MM is he is bland at times,The trouble with Pym is they never quite found a superhero persona that works for him. My favorite version of Pym is when he was the Wasp in the Mighty avengers. And the writer of that book finally put it all together with him he had the shrinking and growing, bio shock blast, and he was creatively using his powers namely he was shrinking everything and carrying it along with him so science lab,vehicles, tools,weaponry. He finally showed his full hero potential in that book.

Hank Pym isn't MM, He is clearly defined science hero who needs to be away from Tony Stark,Reed Richards and Black Panther because for some reason other smart hero steal his shine in books. It is maybe because they all kind of have a niche and he kinda doesn't and they don't want to use him like Reed who is a supreme jack of all trades. Pym is nick name and well designed costume away from being successful.And honestly it should probably be the Yellowjacket because that is great design and plays on the insect theme except that as yellow jacket he pimp slap his wife and ruined what is probably the best superhero form for him.

If we are doing a DC comparison then Hank Pym is Mr Terrific, A science hero who should be more popular but he stuck behind more popular heroe(s) who already who owns his niche like Batman
    Honestly I think Yellow Jacket is the one persona he should avoid like the plague. Way too much baggage there.

Being the "retired" adventurer Dr. Hank Pym like he was in West Coast Avengers might be the way to go.