Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Not a fan of sticking "Black" in the name of black characters. I don't mind with Black Panther as he's named after an actual animal, but for the most part it strikes me as a really odd thing to do.
    To each their own I guess, I love it. At the end of the day they are black and the fact that they wear it on their sleeve almost as a point if pride is very affirming for me. I see it as the most pro-black thing DC has done, especially since outside of a couple names, DC often takes a "I don't see color" approach to their characters of color; which lately has become more of a hindrance than an advantage. A hindrance in the sense that they are tone deaf in how they use them. Mostly middle of the road, safe, unambitious storytelling and often forgotten or pushed to the side as of late particularly. Also, I like that they'll often play on his name with his powerset by making his lightning actually black (or purple) because it sets him apart from all the other characters under the "electric negro" trope banner (most of whom he spawned).
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-12-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Not a fan of sticking "Black" in the name of black characters. I don't mind with Black Panther as he's named after an actual animal, but for the most part it strikes me as a really odd thing to do.
    I think Ben Grimm would agree with you. There was a Marvel Two-in-One years ago with The Thing and Bill Foster, who was then calling himself "Black Goliath." Ben suggested Bill change his code-name to Giant-Man. IIRC Ben said, "It's pretty obvious you're black, and if I remember my Sunday-school lessons right, Goliath was a bad guy."
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

It did to me as well, but it seems lately - perhaps due to the successes of "Black Panter" and "Black Lightning" - DC is taking characters who weren't black who had "black" in their name and recasting them as black - Black Condor, Black Canary, Manchester Black... it's come around full circle.

But in terms of this thread, I've always liked the names:
    - WILDFIRE - it's fun and implies power
    - Blue Beetle - everybody loves alliterative names and this might be my favorite.
    - Deathstroke, the Terminator (it has to be the full title) - that's just bad-ass on top of bad-ass.
    - Driver 8 - one of Crazy Jane's personalities. (and who doesn't like REM?)
    - The Invisible Destroyer - fun silver-age name. (I might also be influenced by his awesome fin-helmet)

Still think Flash is one of the best superhero names ever. Simple, easy to remember, fits the powerset very well, and sounds cool

Do you just like that in an ironic way? To me, that's always seemed such a cheesy name.

Lex Luthor rolls off the tongue well.
    Granny Goodness
    Definitely. It's cheesy but it sounds really good and rolls like Lex Luthor.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    To each their own I guess, I love it. At the end of the day they are black, and the fact that they wear it on their sleeve also as a point if pride is very affirming for me. I see it as the most pro-black thing DC has done, especially since outside of a couple names DC often takes a "I don't see color" approach to their characters or color; which lately has become more of a hindrance than an advantage. A hindrance in the sense that they are tone deaf in how my use them, mostly middle of the road, safe, unambitious and often forgotten or pushed to the side, as of late particularly. Also, I like that they'll often play on his name with his powerset by making his lightning actually black (or purple) because it sets him apart from all the other characters under the "electric negro" trope banner (most of whom he spawned).
    Plus it sounds cool. Black Lightning is just a great name.

You could say like Kirby or whoever was racist for making Black Panther and Black Racer and Vykin the Black and sure that's a thing but he was creating black characters when not a lot of people were doing things like that. Primitive but you gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post

You could say like Kirby or whoever was racist for making Black Panther and Black Racer and Vykin the Black and sure that's a thing but he was creating black characters when not a lot of people were doing things like that. Primitive but you gotta start somewhere.
    I'd never call him racist for doing it. He clearly had good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox_Nihil View Post
    Mxyzptlk?

I'm just kidding.
    No kidding needed. Mr Mxyzptlk is a fantastic name. Maybe it's because it's the one I'm used to, but I much prefer it to the golden age Mr Mxyztplk.

Phantom Stranger.
    I know this varies from writer to writer, but I prefer it if that isn't his name - and no-one uses it within the books at all. Just "the stranger" or "a stranger" works better in dialogue - and even then, as a description rather than a name. The whole point is no-one knows his name. The Phantom Stranger is fine on covers though. It's like Doctor Who vs The Doctor (except that "The Doctor" is actually his chosen name).

Agree on Lex Luthor, too. But, for "standard" English names, you cannot beat Jason Blood.
    Jason Blood is good.

Also:
    Cornelius Stirk
    Edward Cobblepot
    Hugo Strange
    Adam Strange
    John Constantine

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post

Back in the 1960s and early-70s, when a lot of these characters were created, nobody in the mainstream was doing inclusion in comics. I don't' know if this was one of The King's goals, but could see some thought that a certain amount of over-the-top obviousness about inclusion was necessary to draw the attention of a more diverse readership.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Still think Flash is one of the best superhero names ever. Simple, easy to remember, fits the powerset very well, and sounds cool
    I think the Flash is the best superhero name ever.

I'd never call him racist for doing it. He clearly had good intentions.
    I didn't think you were. I just like to defend my hero even if I don't have to. I love the King too much

BANNED

Anti-Monitor. Two rather plain words that you wouldn't usually put together, but that somehow have a really strong ring when you do.

Also not a fan of calling black characters black-something. It's dumb, pigeonholing, distracting, and corny, and not in a charming way. By that wacky standard there should be a superhero called Black Man because it suggests being black is their main attribute as superheroes.

I don't really blame the people who did that way back when, since they were old fashioned and were of a different time and climate, but these days I think its pretty darn silly, and the names are very dated.

That said, I do think it's upsetting in that it may suggest they didn't see black people as they saw themselves. Iron Man was Iron Man, Spider-Man was Spider-Man, and then every other black character was some play on being black.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 03-12-2019 at 02:19 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

My absolute, flat out favourite name in the DCU is:

DOGWELDER!

Then there's the Flash Rogues who are also brilliant.

Mirror Master
    Captain Cold
    Gorilla Grodd
    Heat Wave
    The Trickster
    Last edited by married guy; 03-12-2019 at 03:38 AM.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Superman. The name just says powerful and everything else superior to mortal men. It spawned the whole idea of a superhero. And it flows off the tongue easily. No wasted syllables.

Spectacular Member

Flamebird, Catwoman, Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr, and Mary Marvel