Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    this is one of those times when I realize Superman's main goal is to inspire and give us a hand, but he can't save us from ourselves, unfortunately. Only we can conquer our demons.
    Oh yeah, that reminds me of how I would enjoy a satirical Elseworlds where Superman becomes more and more active in solving humanity's problems. Humanity would in response would ask him to do, to the point Superman realizes that he's just enabling humanity's bad habits. Or, to combat all the evil Superman stories out there, he does become ruler of the world, and realizes how much it sucks and begs humanity to overthrow him but they lack the means to do so.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'd probably go all Injustice Superman on certain world leaders but that might create more problems than it would solve. I'm not smart enough to run the world. I might put people in charge who are but that means if they screw up it's my fault.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Oh yeah, that reminds me of how I would enjoy a satirical Elseworlds where Superman becomes more and more active in solving humanity's problems. Humanity would in response would ask him to do, to the point Superman realizes that he's just enabling humanity's bad habits. Or, to combat all the evil Superman stories out there, he does become ruler of the world, and realizes how much it sucks and begs humanity to overthrow him but they lack the means to do so.
    I'd love to see that in live action. The Rock would do it justice I think. A quality sketch on SNL would rock.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'd love to see that in live action. The Rock would do it justice I think. A quality sketch on SNL would rock.
    "Uh oh! I left the Kryptonite vault unlocked! I sure hope nobody goes in there! Bruce? Diana? Anyone?...Barry?"
    Assassinate Putin!

this is one of those times when I realize Superman's main goal is to inspire and give us a hand, but he can't save us from ourselves, unfortunately. Only we can conquer our demons.
    And that's one of the most interesting things about the character, to my mind. It's not what Clark *can* do, since he can do almost anything. It's about what he *doesnt* do. And he's got damn good reasons for not going all "tyrannical ruler of earth" like a lot of us say we would (myself included). The more Superman does for us, the less we do for ourselves.

Its like kids. You make your kid do their own laundry and their own cleaning because you wont be around forever and they gotta figure that stuff out, so they're not dependent on you. I agree with the sentiment, and not just because it keeps Superman trapped in a status quo where the world doesnt really evolve. I think its a good philosophy to follow. I mean, for all of us talking about how we'd change the socio-political landscape.....what happens when we're gone? Hell, what happens when we turn our back for a second to deal with another country's BS? If we were to force the world to accept our vision of it, the world would resent that no matter how Utopian it was and fight tooth and nail against us. We'd probably have better luck attempting to sway the public to support our views than with just throwing crappy world leaders into the sun.

But Im just not that wise or patient, so I'd melt some faces that deserve it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    And therein is where the true danger starts. It is one thing to get rid of dictators but it is quite another thing to get rid of elected leaders because you don't agree with them. People have the right to be wrong if you start deciding what is best for them you become no better than the flawed leaders you replace, maybe even worse. I think the temptation to "decide what is best" for others would be too great for most to resist if given Superman's powers.
    As far as I'm concerned, if you lost the popular vote you were never really elected to begin with. Damn I hate the electoral college. Besides, while people have the right to be wrong, it shouldn't come at the cost of all the other people's right to financial equality, stable economy, global peace, and a climate humanity can actually survive in. And the ultra conservative, Fox news watching party is kinda threatening that. People can always be pulled out of the Phantom Zone and be wrong after we've had a good ten to twenty years to at least attempt putting the world down a less shitty course.

Besides, I'm not saying what people should do, I'm not being a leader, no one knows I exist, all anyone knows is the most corrupt and unpopular leaders just mysteriously disappeared all of a sudden. Give the world another go around with a more fair shake this time without the most powerful mucking it up, and maybe things like presidents in charge despite losing the vote of the majority of their countrymen won't happen anymore.

Besides, I'll take a noble slippery slope over letting the world continue careening happily down a cliff that might spell the end of our species at worst and certainly a far harder time for our descendants at best. And you better believe climate change among others is just that level of a threat despite the conservative, money backed opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if you lost the popular vote you were never really elected to begin with. Damn I hate the electoral college. Besides, while people have the right to be wrong, it shouldn't come at the cost of all the other people's right to financial equality, stable economy, global peace, and a climate humanity can actually survive in. And the ultra conservative, Fox news watching party is kinda threatening that. People can always be pulled out of the Phantom Zone and be wrong after we've had a good ten to twenty years to at least attempt putting the world down a less shitty course.

Besides, I'm not saying what people should do, I'm not being a leader, no one knows I exist, all anyone knows is the most corrupt and unpopular leaders just mysteriously disappeared all of a sudden. Give the world another go around with a more fair shake this time without the most powerful mucking it up, and maybe things like presidents in charge despite losing the vote of the majority of their countrymen won't happen anymore.

Besides, I'll take a noble slippery slope over letting the world continue careening happily down a cliff that might spell the end of our species at worst and certainly a far harder time for our descendants at best. And you better believe climate change among others is just that level of a threat despite the conservative, money backed opposition.
    Um, I don't think we are allowed to talk politics in this forum so I'll refrain from any further comment.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Um, I don't think we are allowed to talk politics in this forum so I'll refrain from any further comment.
    Wasn't really talking politics, just my reasoning/opinion for why I'd do what I'd do given Superman's powers. Kinda hard to do without acknowledging my own political beliefs.

Wasn't really talking politics, just my reasoning/opinion for why I'd do what I'd do given Superman's powers. Kinda hard to do without acknowledging my own political beliefs.
    I was referencing how you mentioned actual public figures & parties (in both of your posts), which I don't think is allowed. I don't want to get either one of us in potential trouble by giving a detailed reply.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-04-2019 at 08:38 PM.

I was referencing how you mentioned actual public figures & parties (in both of your posts), which I don't think is allowed. I don't want to get either one of us in potential trouble by giving a detailed reply.
    But I wasn't debating politics, I was saying what I would do in this scenario. Obviously what I would do would impact actual public figures. I think mentioning them in such a far out what if context should be perfectly fine, since I'll never really have a Phantom Zone Projector. Mentioning real world political figures isn't an issue here, but bashing other posters' political views are. I don't think there's a risk of that sort of argument happening here.

But I wasn't debating politics, I was saying what I would do in this scenario. Obviously what I would do would impact actual public figures. I think mentioning them in such a far out what if context should be perfectly fine, since I'll never really have a Phantom Zone Projector. Mentioning real world political figures isn't an issue here, but bashing other posters' political views are. I don't think there's a risk of that sort of argument happening here.
    I wrote in another subforum on this site that a politician looked "crazy" to me and was told not to post such things again. I'm just trying to help you out.

I wrote in another subforum on this site that a politician looked "crazy" to me and was told not to post such things again. I'm just trying to help you out.
    Really? Just for thinking they looked crazy? Wow that's strict.

Really? Just for thinking they looked crazy? Wow that's strict.
    Yup, but I'd rather not derail this thread any further by dwelling on the subject.

Take over the world, Force the world into happiness and being a better place. When I feel the world is better place give them on last gift, An enemy rally against one forces them to come together as one. Let them think that they beat me and live out the rest of my life happy somewhere.

Incredible Member

i'll be like Clark Kent
    Lois and Clark, Clark and Lois..no matter what, when or where it's always you two. Even in fractured quantum space-time you manage to find each other..but if those tinkering busybodies couldn't keep you apart, why should I waste my time?- Mr Mxyzptlk, Superman #19