Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cookies View Post
    i'll be like Clark Kent
    Thank you for reminding me of everything I love about Superman.

Anyway, to be honest, my answer to the question would be that I would be terrified of my powers and never use them except in the privacy of my own home. I would probably feel guilty about not using my powers to help people, so I might eventually get over it. I don't know what I'd do after that point, though. I don't have any confidence I would know the right solutions to the world's problems, much less be willing to impose them on everyone else, so I definitely wouldn't take the authoritarian route a lot of people here seem to be interested in. When I finally do use my powers, I would probably be kind of like Superman, I guess. I would definitely have a secret identity like him so I can have a normal life and job, and in my "Superman" identity, I would try to help people how I could...though I'm sure I'd be nervous about doing so. I would probably start small. Or possibly, like Yoda, I would be like the Secret Identity Clark, and not even really "go public" in my superhero identity - idk. Also, for my superhero identity, I would like to have a costume designed after Superman's; even though I'm a woman, it would be more like Superman's than Supergirl's. I would probably crush some coal into diamonds and give them to charity, but I'm not sure I'd do that for money for myself...maybe I would, I'm not sure. I would also use my powers to travel.

Incredible Member

People are kind of terrible aren't they? My answer is simple: if I had Superman's powers I would read every Superman comic in existence from Golden Age to Present (my super reading powers) to learn how to be the best Superman I could be. I'd read Batman too so I could learn about Prep Time.

All-New Member

I think I would be a good guy, but I'd charge people for saving them too lol. Like if someone is hanging out in a alley at 3 in the morning and they get attacked, I'd save them for the low price of $99.95. Being Supes alone doesn't pay the bills. Or I'd be a d*** after saving them. Either way it would dope.

The whole forkin' planet would be getting a good talking too...

Quote Originally Posted by TaliaJoy View Post
    I don't have any confidence I would know the right solutions to the world's problems, much less be willing to impose them on everyone else, so I definitely wouldn't take the authoritarian route a lot of people here seem to be interested in.
    Ha! See, I dont have any confidence in my own ability to improve the world either, but I know I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to try. I think at best, if I really put a short leash on myself, I might be able to make myself be patient enough to work out some sort of real game plan, rather than just throwing d-bags into the sun willy-nilly. But no matter how hard I would try to not interfere, I know I would at the end of the day.

Im just being honest with myself.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think at least one day of my life, I'd ask to be a traffic officer, and then I'd just nail everyone who did something egregiously terrible on the road.

"No, ma'am, you may not pass stopped cars by driving on the shoulder."

"No, sir, once the light turns red, you can't be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or in your case 4th car to make a left hand turn."

"Number one, you can't jaywalk. Number two, if you see a car coming, instead of assuming it will slow down and not run over you, I suggest you hurry to the other side in case that guy was texting on his cell phone and didn't see there was someone in the intersection. And yes, I'm going to ticket him for texting while driving, too."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I think at least one day of my life, I'd ask to be a traffic officer, and then I'd just nail everyone who did something egregiously terrible on the road.

"No, ma'am, you may not pass stopped cars by driving on the shoulder."

"No, sir, once the light turns red, you can't be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or in your case 4th car to make a left hand turn."

"Number one, you can't jaywalk. Number two, if you see a car coming, instead of assuming it will slow down and not run over you, I suggest you hurry to the other side in case that guy was texting on his cell phone and didn't see there was someone in the intersection. And yes, I'm going to ticket him for texting while driving, too."
    Pretty sure you'd solve my city's funding issues in a matter of hours.

A brilliant thread imo.

I am not going to stay back and let the world continue as it is. I will tear it down and make a new and better one. Superman maybe my favorite character. But i share his optimism upto a point. Someone may ask. What is in it for me? Well my needs are few. And they will be fulfilled automatically in the process. For example i don't need to purchase a car if i am the President. Such needs are automatically fulfilled if the job itself is important. You just have to do the job. An important point is to marry someone who shares this ideology of deriving happiness from the job or duty itself, not the result. That will ensure that the family never affects the job negatively. (Supes is lucky to have Lois).

I want to make a point before moving ahead that superhero logic of 'one man against the world' is flawed. Even Superman will fall apart if he gives up being Clark Kent and becomes Superman 24*7. Superman needs allies. And not a handful like Avengers or Justice League. But armies. Thousands! Millions! Billions! That's what i will do.

First step. I won't start as Superman immediately. First phase will resemble Secret Identity. Helping out in secret. And creating a sort of worldwide urban legend. By this i will hone my skills. Superpowers. As well as skills which i think would be important to take over the world. Like say public speaking. Organizational skills. Tech knowledge and weaponry. I have heard somewhere that a leader is like a Jack of all trades but master of one. That helps to inspire followers. As the followers don't see the leader as incompetent. So, this phase is of 'preparation'. It may take upto 5 years or more. And i am definitely wearing the black suit in this phase.

The next phase is the 'celebrity' phase. Where i give up my secret identity and come out as Superman. I shoot myself while rescuing and helping people. Rescuing cats from trees. Helping avert natural disasters. The feel good guy. Give speeches. Act in commercials. Give half of my earnings in charity. Keeping one fourth as savings. And using one quarter for myself. During this time i will start my Superman group. Consisting of people who help others. I will name it Justice league comprising of all kinds of members. Ranging from part time who may do something like help clean their neighborhood on a holiday aftrenoon, to the more serious full time members who would be dedicated entirely to the cause of helping others. This is the time when i will try to stay away from any kind of things which might be seen as anti-establishment. This is the period of growth of my organization and popularity. Not confrontation. This might take 10 to 20 years. And i will wear this costume.

Third stage is of 'confrontation'. I will select one area to be under my control. Somewhere by which i will be the most powerful country. I am naturally more powerful then any country. But the country itself shall be powerful. I won't sit on the main seat as I am not a natural leader. And my job extends to the whole world not just one country. It shall preferably be a peaceful takeover by Justice League by way of elections and all. No need to squander resources in civil wars when the whole world needs saving. After that its a slow removal of undesirable elements from own country and the world. Which will done by the good people coming together. The Justice League. I would be the trump card like power behind them who will interfere where necessary. My costume would be like this..

Fourth phase. Retirement. When good people are established, bad destroyed and proper systems are in place, i will settle down in some place. And focus on reading and writing. I will be available when needed. But its time to let the people who have the best interest of the entire planet and all living creatures to lead as well as empower the next generation of Justice League. Costume? Who knows? Maybe a red one.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-12-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Honestly, I'd probably have a nervous breakdown. A lot of what I like so much about Superman involves a moral certainty that works well in fiction, and often not so well in real life.

If I ever managed to get my act together and stop freaking out, I'd probably make a lot of enemies very fast. Why? It's very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Benjamin Parker, Captain America: Civil War, 2016
    “When you have the power to stop bad things, and you don't, it's your fault when they happen”.
    As much as I might want to hide the powers, it would be wrong of me to do so. Christ, what a burden. I would be the reluctant, distant Superman of obligation that so many fans wrongly accused the BvS Superman of being.

I have to try, regardless of my reputation, to stop wars, to stop hunger, to stop pollution and global warming. But I can't even imagine how to do that without the threat of force. I don't want to kill anyone. It might happen anyway. Stop wars by wrecking all the army's equipment. Probably start with the nukes before going public. God, I'd have to learn how to disarm nukes safely. What a bloody mess!

And of course, any good I would do, any good influence I could have on the world, would be inherently coercive, even if people in general liked me.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Honestly, I'd probably have a nervous breakdown. A lot of what I like so much about Superman involves a moral certainty that works well in fiction, and often not so well in real life.

If I ever managed to get my act together and stop freaking out, I'd probably make a lot of enemies very fast. Why? It's very simple.

As much as I might want to hide the powers, it would be wrong of me to do so. Christ, what a burden. I would be the reluctant, distant Superman of obligation that so many fans wrongly accused the BvS Superman of being.

I have to try, regardless of my reputation, to stop wars, to stop hunger, to stop pollution and global warming. But I can't even imagine how to do that without the threat of force. I don't want to kill anyone. It might happen anyway. Stop wars by wrecking all the army's equipment. Probably start with the nukes before going public. God, I'd have to learn how to disarm nukes safely. What a bloody mess!

And of course, any good I would do, any good influence I could have on the world, would be inherently coercive, even if people in general liked me.
    Just throw them into the sun.

Works for everything else.

But I feel ya; I dont think I'd have your hesitance though. I can think of a pretty long list of people around the world who would get tossed into space as soon as I had a grip on my abilities. No remorse. Then it'd very much be a "treat people right, Metropolis, or expect a visit from me!" situation.

Without doubt I'd succeed in seeing the entire world put aside their petty differences and squabbles and unite together for the first time in human history. Unite against me.

So I'd be the villain of the story; the threat the world has work together to put a stop to. My goal would basically just be to live long enough and cause enough concern that, by the time they finally do defeat me and put an end to my throwing d-bags into space, that everyone's been working together for so long they've come to see the benefits and continue after I'm finished off.

A sociological theory states that the deviants are the ones who hold society together. Well, I'd be such a huge deviant I'd glue the entire human race together.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post

Yeah, I agree with a lot of these sentiments. Having powers doesn't sound fun to me, lol.

Crush coal into diamonds, sell diamonds, buy stuff. Rinse, repeat, screw the earth let people make this planet uninhabitable for life like our species and society so obviously wants with every fiber of society's core, I'll have the best computer setup and WiFi money can buy until then. And I'm powerful enough to force my way into the rich people's bunkers post apocalypse.

Kon93

I'm very very happy that this will NEVER be a reality. I know I would try to do the right thing or try to live by the old saying "1st do no harm", the comments here make me very scared for humanity even without supermans powers.

Boisterously Confused

If I had all Superman's power, lacking only his unyielding determination to do what is best for all humanity:
    • Anything rising from the surface of North Korea with more thrust than a bottle rocket would inexplicably fall on one of Kim's personal properties
    • There would not be a nuclear weapon anywhere on Earth, and only craters where the enriching facilities used to be
    • Boko Haram and several other movements like them would probably start to suffer unbelievably bad luck
    • Every Chinese Naval vessel approaching Taiwan would probably lose its rudder and screws, if it didn't simply sink altogether
    • US episodes of Police Brutality would likely turn into harbingers of extremely bad luck for the officers involved
    • There might not be a non-military firearm more advanced than a revolver, or bolt-action rifle between The Rio Grande and The 49th Parallel
    • All that plastic in the ocean would likely come showering down atop the headquarters of P&G, Unilever, Walmart, Amazon, Alibaba, and their various fellows.
    • Every single one of Monsanto's factories would suffer unrecoverable damage
    • Every automobile factory devoted to anything other than electric cars would probably suffer unrecoverable damage
    • Every business connected to Vladimir Putin would probably suffer constant, expensive, crippling equipment losses
    • Every business connected to The Chinese Central Committee: see Vladimir Putin
    • The business interests of Iran: see Vladimir Putin
    • The business interests of Saudi Arabia: see Vladimir Putin
    • The business interests of Donald Trump: see Vladimir Putin
    • The business interests of the Global 0.1%: see Vladimir Putin
    • The business interest of the International Arms Industry: see Vladimir Putin

In so doing, I would undoubtedly stifle innovation, crash the global economy, and reduce humanity to a fearful collection of subsistence farming tribes engaging in all manner of nonsense - including human sacrifice - in hopes of figuring out what might appease me.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 05-15-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Oh yeah, that reminds me of how I would enjoy a satirical Elseworlds where Superman becomes more and more active in solving humanity's problems. Humanity would in response would ask him to do, to the point Superman realizes that he's just enabling humanity's bad habits...
    That's one of my favorite ideas for an Earth-2 type treatment is that no one has seen Superman in years, because he became concerned that people were learning the wrong lesson and becoming dependent on him rather than striving to better themselves. He still does good stuff and works miracles, but it's always mysterious and somewhat explainable as happenstance.

Quote Originally Posted by cookies View Post
    i'll be like Clark Kent
    That is the most beautiful page of a Superman comic that I have ever seen. Where's it from?