Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default What’s your favorite non-comics version of DCU characters?

With so many versions of DC’s characters now popping outside of comics, even some of the most obscure are getting their due. Which versions are your favorites? If you were to combine them all into one Multiverse spanning epic, which versions would you choose?

For Superman, it will probably come as no surprise that I would go with the Christopher Reeve version. For better or worse, no other version of the character casts as large a shadow.

For Batman, I would go with the Jeremy Sisto voiced version from New Frontier, based upon Darwyn Cooke’s classic.

Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman was such an instant slam dunk that she managed to be the only thing almost everyone agrees was a great decision by Zack Snyder.

I think Grant Gustin has done a great job as Barry, but I have a soft spot for Michael Rosenbaum’s Wally from JLU. So, I will throw in the Jay from the TV show, who played The Flash back in the 90s and get all three

Hal Jordan is Nathan Fillion, even though Josh Keaton got better stuff to work with on the GL animated series.

As for Aquaman, I will always content that the Brave and Bold outrageous Arthur is best.

Mark Hamill's Joker is the obvious to be listed here.

Dominic Purcell absolutely kills it as Heat Wave in Legends of Tomorrow. It's not exactly comic-accurate, but the thread is for non-comic versions so I'd say it counts.

Sticking with the CW stuff, while the show itself is incredibly divisive, Melissa Benoist does a great job as Supergirl.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

GREEN LANTERN: "Green Lantern: The Animated Series"
    THE QUESTION: "JLU"
    BATMAN: "Justice League/JLU"
    (Let's face it, for many it's "JLU")
    JOKER: "The Dark Knight"
    DOOM PATROL: The current "Doom Patrol" show on DCU
    WONDER WOMAN: Lynda Carter in "Wonder Woman."
    CAATWOMAN: "Batman Returns" (despite the dum origin)

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Mark Hamill's Joker is the obvious to be listed here.

Dominic Purcell absolutely kills it as Heat Wave in Legends of Tomorrow. It's not exactly comic-accurate, but the thread is for non-comic versions so I'd say it counts.

Sticking with the CW stuff, while the show itself is incredibly divisive, Melissa Benoist does a great job as Supergirl.
    Agree completely with all of these. Benoist nailed Supergril in a way that no other version has and Legends of Tomorrow has made me care about Heatwave more than any comic has.

Hamil’s Joker is as iconic as any version out there, but I still gotta give Ledger’s Joker the edge in terms of bringing an energy to Joker that I have never seen before.

Incredible Member

Swamp Thing and his supporting cast: The 1991 cartoon. I don't give a filloffal what anyone says. It was my introduction to the character, I absolutely loved it as a kid and I still love it today.

Black Manta The live-action Aquaman movie. It did a great job making him understandable while still being true to the character.
    Last edited by hareluyafan1; 04-10-2019 at 06:00 AM. Reason: adding stuff

Jay Garrick- John Wesley Shipp on The CW Flash.

Billy Batson/Shazam- JLA Action cartoon.

Wally West- Justice League Animated Series.

I will hopefully have a favorite non comic version of Courtney soon with her TV show! Though the JL Action cartoon version was great for her as well.

Ray Palmer- While I love Brandon Routh, Legends of Tomorrow has become an absolute joke and the characterization is beyond revolting. Not to mention they wanted to use Ted Kord in the first place, so I have yet to find a great Ray Palmer adaptation outside of the comics.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 04-10-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Am I the only one who didnt like the Christopher Reeve's Superman. I watched the first movies a few years ago after everyone telling me how great it was and I was bored out of my mind.

I really loved Wally West Flash from JLU and The Question.

Mark Hamil’s Joker is just so fun it has to be included but The Joker from The Killing Joke Animated Movie was really good as well
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Stephen Amell's portrayal of Oliver Queen on Arrow...without a doubt. Even at times when the series has faltered, he's always brought his A-game to the character. The series tends to suffer when they take the focus off Oliver for too long.

For Batman, my all-time favorite adaptation is BTAS...with the Nolanverse coming a close second.

With Superman, its a bit harder. I'd go with STAS as one of my favorites. And I have tremendous appreciation for Zack Snyder's Superman, as portrayed by Henry Cavill. I feel that the Snyder/Cavill team could potentially have done for Superman, what Nolan/Bale did for Batman. Alas, it wasn't to be!

For Flash, I love Grant Gustin's take on Barry Allen, even though its very different from the comic-book Barry. But I have to admit, my all-time favorite Flash adaptation has got to be Wally West in the Justice League cartoon.

Black Canary, I'd go with Caity Lotz' portrayal of Sara Lance on Season 2 of Arrow. As much as I love Katie Cassidy's Laurel Lance, I feel the Sara Lance character was the best realization of the comic-book Black Canary on the show.

Wonder Woman, I'd again go with the JL cartoon because that was my first real exposure to the character. Though Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman is a close second.

My all-time favorite Green Lantern is John Stewart from the JL cartoon.

Catwoman still Julie Newmar.

And...

Black Canary live action (still better than all the ones since) Legends of the Superheroes

LOL Yeah, I went there!

Flash (Gustin) and Supergirl (Benoist) are pretty great!
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-10-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Definitely Cisco Ramon aka Vibe from CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Definitely Cisco Ramon aka Vibe from CW.
    Has there been others?
    Freedom Force:The Ray was also him, same actor (Valdez

Edit: Just remembered the DC Nation short LOL
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-29-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

Superman: George Reeves as Kal-L. Just nudges Chris Reeve out based on the weakness of the movies. I like the general feel of the 50's show better and that elevates its Superman in my estimation.

Clark Kent: Dean Cain. George's take was too variable. Chris' too slapstick. Dean really made me believe in Clark separate from Superman.

Batman: Kevin Conroy. BTAS gave the most full depiction of Batman outside the comics- dark but still able to laugh at point.

Wonder Woman- close between Gail and Lynda. The TV show was a bit campy but she played Wonder Woman perfectly. Gail does a great job bringing her character to life. Lynda wins just for looking more like the comic image for me.

Flash: John Wesley Shipp manages to sell me both as Hay and earlier as Barry. The current show is fun but Grant just isn't portraying a Barry I see as the "real" version. He's like an Elseworld's version.

Green Arrow: Toss-up. Amell is playing a great character and I like him, but it isn't Green Arrow. The version on JLU felt more like my idea of the character, but I'd rather watch Amell's character at points.

Supergirl: STAS. Except for the slight origin change this was a perfect set-up. And to be honest the non-Kryptonian stuff didn't really bother me much.

Batgirl/Oracle: Birds of Prey series. Honorable mentions to Felicity on Arrow and Chloe on Smallville for being Oracle-in-all-but-name stand-ins.

Hawkman: Smallville

Whenever I think of Green Arrow's voice, it's Kin Shriner from JLU.

Most everybody not listed below - Batman: Brave and the Bold
    Wonder Woman - Lynda Carter WW series (but not the first season)
    Batman - Adam West Batman '66 (the original DCAU version came close, but the '66 version wins for me because I really like the Gotham of the '66 show)
    Superman - George Reeves (another that wins more because of the environment, as I prefer the hats/suits and gangsters world of the '50s series)
    Doom Patrol - current DCU series
    JLDark - the JLDark animated movie
    Queen Bee - Young Justice (it's a nice update to the JLI era version)
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Batman: DCAU, specifically early BTAS
    Joker: DCAU
    Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot
    Aquaman: Jason Momoa
    Robin/Nightwing: BTAS for Robin, Young Justice for Nightwing
    Batgirl: Barring the Batman Beyond revelations (you know which ones), DCAU
    Lois Lane: DCAU
    Cheetah: that one glorious instance she was voiced by Claudia Black, arguably her equivalent to Mark Hamill and Clancy Brown
    Catwoman: Michelle Pfieffer
    Starfire, Beast Boy, Cyborg, Raven and Terra: the Teen Titans cartoon, my introduction to them
    Wally West: Young Justice, Teen Titans