View Poll Results: Who's The Better Hawkman?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carter Hall

21 56.76%
  • Katar Hol

16 43.24%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The latest retcon dealt with the entire issue the best it could be imo.
    But (not having read it) how well did it incorporate Carter Hall / Golden Age Hawkman?
    I though Venditti had limitations on that since the JSA-aspects haven't been revealed yet in Doomsday Cluck?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Gotta go with Carter. Katar was fine, but ultimately his place in the DCU was just another space cop, like Hal Jordan, with not enough in his character to distinguish him from that (unlike, say, Superman vs. Martian Manhunter). But Carter as winged hero/archaeologist/barbarian has a unique role within the universe, especially when you add in the reincarnation angle.
    Katar did have more Indiana Jones-esque adventures and enemies, such as Gentleman Ghost and Fadeaway Man, along with random sorcerers here and there. It's actually one of the things I best liked about him; you could plug him into most anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Katar did have more Indiana Jones-esque adventures and enemies, such as Gentleman Ghost and Fadeaway Man, . . .
    Gentleman Ghost was a Golden Age Carter Hall/Khufu foe.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Carter Hall, full stop.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I like both and miss the JLA/JSA, or Earth-1 and -2, divide that made them both possible.
    I grew up with both of them myself during the '70s, but I liked Katar just a little bit more.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

To be fair, the Ghost (or Gentleman Ghost) had incarnations on both Earth-Two--FLASH COMICS 88 (October 1947)--and Earth-One--THE ATOM & HAWKMAN 43 (June-July 1969)--both times from writer Robert Kanigher.

I lean more towards Carter Hall because of the reincarnation angle. I tend to like Katar's wife more because of Justice league and don't really care for him.

Retired

I like the looks of black-haired Carter Hall better than blond haired. Joe Kubert made him look sombre.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm going with Katar, but mostly because he's connected to Shayera, who is my favorite of the Hawks due to JLU.

Amazing Member

0b0f60da07e2d17ba3a507afbf6009ba.jpg

Carter's Golden Age escapades had him globetrotting in nearly every other issue, though Katar did often travel too, I felt like it fit more in Carter's character for world-wide adventures

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

EDIT: Wrong thread.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

oooohh... so confused...

Went to look up the origins.... MORE CONFUSED! I thought it was one guy, multiple lives... but I guess its earth one/two type stuff? At this point I'm just voting for the hawk avatar, from kingdom come.

Can't we just have them all be rolled into ONE concise story? Or is it just too far gone?
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    oooohh... so confused...

Went to look up the origins.... MORE CONFUSED! I thought it was one guy, multiple lives... but I guess its earth one/two type stuff? At this point I'm just voting for the hawk avatar, from kingdom come.

Can't we just have them all be rolled into ONE concise story? Or is it just too far gone?
    One silly editorial decision 30 years ago has made Hawkman one of the most confusing characters in all of comics. I wouldn't say it's too far gone but I honestly think the best solution is for DC to stop trying so hard to connect the two and just make Cartet and Katar two different characters as they were in the Silver Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    oooohh... so confused...

Went to look up the origins.... MORE CONFUSED! I thought it was one guy, multiple lives... but I guess its earth one/two type stuff?
    Don't forget, that's nearly 80 years worth of stories you're talking about if you looked up their original origins and later additions / retcons.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

What a loaded question!!!
    Hawkman continuity is a straight up cluster f**k and has been since Crisis.
    Every fix DC have added since made it worse.

I REALLY enjoyed Johns' take and the reincarnation angle that managed to validate most of what came before.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.