Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    They were Shield Think tank agents in the 60s. Reed and Sue were genius's in their own field's, Johnny is a mechanical engineer working with Reed thanks to Sues influence. Ben is their NASA Liason since its a joint project. They open a portal to the Negative Zone to enter it and map it for resources to aid in the cold war which Shield suspect is being manipulated by Hydra. The portal fails however after they enter it and closes.

60 years later it reopens and the Fantastic 4 arrive, only 3 years have passed in the Negative Zone and the four have had many adventures and gotten used to their powers. They have to reacclimatise to a world in advance of what they were expecting, but backwards compared to some of the civilisations they've encountered. Annihilus manages to tear open a hole from the Negative Zone using a trail created by Reed. The four battle, defeat then banish him back and become celebrities.
    Interesting. This idea is way more creative than I expect Disney to manage, though.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Why the 60s though?

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Why the 60s though?
    The era that birthed them and getting another period piece from the MCU would be fun. There's some actors from Peggy Carter and the like they could use, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Why the 60s though?
    Last optimistic American paradigm, last signs of the benevolent scientist archetype. Flubber, Star Trek, Tomorrowland. Also, Marvel Comics Universe began in the early 60s. “616” and all that. Concept synergy.

Extraordinary Member

I'd go full-on space race and start them the year they were created, 1961. Things would go beat for beat per their first appearance until they crash land back on Earth. It would still be Earth and still be 1961 and they still would land just after getting their powers, but it would be an entirely different alternate dimension Earth. Soon, they become heroes there and after some time they use their technology to travel throughout time and other alternate dimensions, becoming legendary figures throughout the multiverse. Eventually they decide it's time to return home, but instead of arriving back in 1961, they arrive shortly after Endgame.

The effects of time travel would have kept them relatively youthful, which would only serve to enrage the sovereign ruler of Latveria even more, an old college rival named Victor Von Doom.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Why the 60s though?
    Doom works a lot better in a more retro setting. His origin is pretty hokey; like something you'd see in a Disney cartoon.

What would be the best way for The Fantastic Four to be brought into the MCU?
    A good script.

Simple: They got their powers decades ago but have been in the N-Zone this whole time.

Invincible Member

Hmm...it seems a lot of people like the idea of them time traveling from the 60's, but I wouldn't do that. The origin would take place in the past maybe a few years ago ( no more than five minutes of screen time) then jump to the present. Use elements from the first few issues to form an grand epic adventure. Save Doom for the 2nd film.

I think the reason the time travel idea has caught on in the fan consciousness is that the family values of the Fantastic Four can seem a little quaint to modern audiences. For example I have never quite understood what was wrong with the 2005 movie, and even the sequel wasn’t that bad. The family dynamic was there but it didn’t seem to gel. So making the family a little old fashioned by design makes sense.

Another way to do it might be to have them suddenly turn up as if they have always been there. Have the public hugely affectionate about them, paint their public lives as being perfect. Kind of reality legends and role models. Then have the story be about why they weren’t there the day before.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I think the reason the time travel idea has caught on in the fan consciousness is that the family values of the Fantastic Four can seem a little quaint to modern audiences. For example I have never quite understood what was wrong with the 2005 movie, and even the sequel wasn’t that bad. The family dynamic was there but it didn’t seem to gel. So making the family a little old fashioned by design makes sense.

Another way to do it might be to have them suddenly turn up as if they have always been there. Have the public hugely affectionate about them, paint their public lives as being perfect. Kind of reality legends and role models. Then have the story be about why they weren’t there the day before.
    I think some people think of the FF family values as more quaint in modern times than it really is. On one hand, although what we accept as a modern family has broadened, nuclear families still exist. Heck, they exist in pop culture now! They didn't disappear with rotary phones. On the other hand, even in the 60's they weren't exactly a squeaking clean picture perfect family. The main hook especially in the earliest issues was that they argued all the time. The family that squabbles is a pretty timeless concept.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think some people think of the FF family values as more quaint in modern times than it really is. On one hand, although what we accept as a modern family has broadened, nuclear families still exist. Heck, they exist in pop culture now! They didn't disappear with rotary phones. On the other hand, even in the 60's they weren't exactly a squeaking clean picture perfect family. The main hook especially in the earliest issues was that they argued all the time. The family that squabbles is a pretty timeless concept.
    Yea I don't think Family will feel quaint. It's the adventure. F4 storys are big crazy adventures and the early movies never felt like they had the Budget to make it feel epic and the newer one.... Iono I didnt like much about it. Much like superman when you watch Fantastic four you want to go on a fun adventure. The family values and the constant fighting are just what give the characters depth. But I dknt think the movie needs to be set in the 60s at all. Just respect the source material and go big. Give us a epic adventure with some family drama. I eont very mad if it's from the 60s but we already did the man out of time with Cap so use time travel for the adventure but they need to be from another time.

In short and small in scope and intament Wolverine or Batman works well but Fantasic four are adventurers. Go big or go home
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 03-07-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I want Doom to be behind everything going forward into the next phase. But we dont know it till they have like a Usual suspects moments where everything clicks into place. Like you realize that all these random.
    skirmishes in Solo films were all orchestrated even if the villian didnt know to further Dooms goal. I cant give you specifics because I'm not a writer but Yea Doom should be behind everything and only a side character before his reveal mastermind reveal. Maybe F4 goes to him for help and Reed and him argue and Susan stays behind and get him to give them what they need. But dont use him as the actual villian. Latveria and Doom can play a role but yea dont make him the antagonist until the big leading Into the next phase version of Infinity war. AVENGERS 5 or 6 or maybe they call it new avengers and start from 1. But dont rush it,.

As for the actual F4 skip the origin or do it in the credits like Incredible Hulk dont spend any time on it. Just let the credit explain why they were in space when they got they're powers. Dont wsnt them being from the past. Now I dont care what race anyone is. Just make Sue and Johnny the same race is all I'm saying lol. Ben is Jewish so maybe dont bend him but **** make Reed anything you want, Black,Asian,latino dont matter. Not important to his character. That said I won't be mad if they cast comic accurate and they are all white, that's fine too. John Krawsinski(?) and his wife Emily Blunt are still my Reed and Sue dream casting. Thing just cast someone with the voice for it and make him quality CGI not that clay mation ugly rock looking **** from F4ntastic 4. Thing is already a great design dont try to make him look more monstrous. The original 2 mvoies got it right. They made the suit look as much like comic Thing as you can without CGI.
    The irony is they were going to CGI it but Michael Chiklis said he wouldn't even do it if they did that and that they had to put him in the appliances even though it was tough for him which I think was a good call at the time but with the CGI and budget they have now, they could make a CGI Thing look totally believable.

I do like the idea of the FF being from the early 1960s and getting shunted through time but that's nostalgia so they are really the original FF with the social attitudes and so on of the original FF. I find it very unlikely that the MCU will really do it that way. Of course, it would allow for Dr. Doom to have been secretly in the background all of this time, probably using anti-aging science.

But even if their origin is modern, I almost picture Doom with some rant about how all the heroes he wanted eliminated have been eliminated after he manipulated the situation so that Thanos would be eliminated though I find it more likely Doom will rise in the aftermath of all of that to emerge as THE major threat.

I think the most practical is to have the origin of the FF be a few minutes at the start of the movie though a time travel fish out of water story could be great.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea I don't think Family will feel quaint. It's the adventure. F4 storys are big crazy adventures and the early movies never felt like they had the Budget to make it feel epic and the newer one.... Iono I didnt like much about it. Much like superman when you watch Fantastic four you want to go on a fun adventure. The family values and the constant fighting are just what give the characters depth. But I dknt think the movie needs to be set in the 60s at all. Just respect the source material and go big. Give us a epic adventure with some family drama. I eont very mad if it's from the 60s but we already did the man out of time with Cap so use time travel for the adventure but they need to be from another time.

In short and small in scope and intament Wolverine or Batman works well but Fantasic four are adventurers. Go big or go home
    Yeah I don't think they need to be from the sixties. What makes them unique is that they are a family that happened to get super powers.
    Power with Girl is better.

they don't need to be from the 60s. but it would benefit them greatly, imo. part of their appeal is that they are the "first" family. look at how they handled Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne. their operating in the past actually 'classed' them up a bit/gave them some legitimacy. if they were to just have showed up after the Avengers, they'd just be other super-characters. first movie should be the origin of the Fantastic Four in the past. second should be their face off with Doom; ending with the Four chasing Doom into a portal of some type. that would lead them to the present. imagine how much more impressive Doom would be if he were from an earlier time but began rapidly adapting to/dominating the present reality. then you could have an already established Doom find the place of his birth, overthrow the current regime, and build it into Latveria. you'd get to see the current heroes react to it in real time. and his "gypsy" origin wouldn't be as out of place in the past.