Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Hancock. It was a great movie when he was just a bitter drunk that happened to have super powers, but then they had to work in a love interest and some crap about being an angel.
    The original script was written as a dark satire. It was almost completely re-written when Will Smith signed on.

Amazing Member

The Pantom Menace. Why are Skywalker people always blowing up Imperial stuff with small ships?
    RayField Adam Clement
    aka "King Grinch"

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

A movie ruined by its third act can't be considered a good movie by definition, so films like Wonder Woman or (huh?) Raiders of the Lost Ark shouldn't even be listed here, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    A movie ruined by its third act can't be considered a good movie by definition, so films like Wonder Woman or (huh?) Raiders of the Lost Ark shouldn't even be listed here, IMO.
    Wonder Woman was fine, just not a great final fight. Raiders is near perfect from first shot to last. It should be considered one of the all time great action/adventure movies. Fortunately, it is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Suicide Squad. I liked the set up for the squad itself and much of movie until somewhere past the middle. By the third act, though, the movie hit the swamp big time. Somewhere in there they forgot to make us care about anything. Classic case of a film made to look cool and sound cool on the surface, but having absolutely no lasting substance
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-05-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You are making a joke, right?
    Not at all.

Magic ghost (holy spirit, whatever) from the ark kills all of the bad guys and unties their ropes.

That's pretty much the definition of "deus ex machina". More literally than most because it arguably was actually God.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Not at all.

Magic ghost (holy spirit, whatever) from the ark kills all of the bad guys and unties their ropes.

That's pretty much the definition of "deus ex machina". More literally than most because it arguably was actually God.
    Exactly. And it was integral to the plot. And a logical conclusion to the story.
    A Deus ex machina is usually a plot device that comes out of nowhere to solve the situation. A contrived character or plot device that fixes story problem. This was not that, it delivered a great finale to the audience that fit the story and brought it to it's natural conclusion.
    It was groundbreaking as well. Before, in this kind of movie, something would happen and people would say, was it a miracle or just a advantageous accident. But they had freaken God come down.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The problem with Raiders is you get the same result with or without Indie there.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The problem with Raiders is you get the same result with or without Indie there.
    Except the Ark wouldn't have been found without Indiana Jones. His situation during the finale did not bother me or the vast majority of the audience. Sounds like a nitpick to me.

Except the Ark wouldn't have been found without Indiana Jones. His situation during the finale did not bother me or the vast majority of the audience. Sounds like a nitpick to me.
    It was a part of the TV show Big Bang Theory. One of the guy's girlfriends points it out and none of the guys have an answer. Silly TV show.

Take Indy out and the Nazis get the stone from whats-her-name in Tibet, which theoretically means they find the Well of Souls and the Ark by themselves. The big difference then would be that the Ark would have gone directly to Berlin, where Hitler probably would have died during the opening of it.

Indy's presence basically ensures that 1) Hitler lives and 2) the Ark ends up in a warehouse somewhere in the U.S.

The point of these movies is often not to justify the hero's presence or make the hero indispensable, its to provide a good story. And Raiders does exactly that.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It was a part of the TV show Big Bang Theory. One of the guy's girlfriends points it out and none of the guys have an answer. Silly TV show.

Take Indy out and the Nazis get the stone from whats-her-name in Tibet, which theoretically means they find the Well of Souls and the Ark by themselves. The big difference then would be that the Ark would have gone directly to Berlin, where Hitler probably would have died during the opening of it.

Indy's presence basically ensures that 1) Hitler lives and 2) the Ark ends up in a warehouse somewhere in the U.S.

The point of these movies is often not to justify the hero's presence or make the hero indispensable, its to provide a good story. And Raiders does exactly that.
    Yes, true. Though I doubt Marion would have given it up easily.

I should add that ROTLA was the single best movie going experience I have had. I saw it in a pre-opening screening, when nobody knew anything about it. So I went in knowing nothing.(I thought it was a Spielberg sci fi movie) It was revelatory.

Empty is thy hand!

I was enjoying Widows, and it felt like it was going somewhere and saying something, but ultimately it didn't.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Every Quentin Tarrantino movie. So many otherwise good films ruined by his inability to stick a satisfactory landing.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Yes, true. Though I doubt Marion would have given it up easily.

I should add that ROTLA was the single best movie going experience I have had. I saw it in a pre-opening screening, when nobody knew anything about it. So I went in knowing nothing.(I thought it was a Spielberg sci fi movie) It was revelatory.
    Raiders is an all time great, yeah. Indiana was pivotal to finding the Ark but the Nazis may well have found it on their own and met the same grisly fate, 'coz those are the legends surrounding the Ark and, frankly, we can all be pretty sure that God doesn't like Nazis very much. :P

Man, I really need to get around to buying that melting nazi candle.

... and I'm moving this thread over to the TV & Film Board.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules