Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65
  1. #1
    Mighty Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    1,239

    Default Otherwise Great Movies Ruined by Their Third Act?

    What are some movies that you like that you felt were derailed by their ending or final act?

    The idea for this thread came to me while watching the film, Collateral, by Michael Mann.

    The film started off great. The cinematography was incredible, the performances by Cruise, Foxx, and Ruffalo were phenomenal, and the movie delved deep into which each main character was coming from in a manner that I thought was profound.

    However, it all turns to shit during the third act, wherein ( spoilers) it is revealed that Foxx's previous client happens to be the next person Tom Cruise is assigned to kill. This revaluation has got to be one of the stupidest plot twists I have ever encountered in a movie.

  2. #2
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    Wonder Women

  3. #3

    Default

    We do not talk ill about Collateral.
    BB

  4. #4
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    19,624

    Default

    The Village. That ending permanently soured me on movies made by M. Night Shamartist as I call him. I haven't watched any film by him since.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Tenebrae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    1,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Wonder Women
    That immediately sprung to mind. That last battle against Ares. Awful.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

    CBR community Standards and Rules

  6. #6
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,213

    Default

    Hancock. It was a great movie when he was just a bitter drunk that happened to have super powers, but then they had to work in a love interest and some crap about being an angel.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Kusanagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Wonder Women
    While I don't think it was ruined, it definitely knocked the movie down a few pegs in my book.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

    Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The Village. That ending permanently soured me on movies made by M. Night Shamartist as I call him. I haven't watched any film by him since.
    I loved that ending - except for the whole idea of sending a blind woman out on a journey through the forest by herself.

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,825

    Default

    Raiders of the Lost Ark had a good third act overall, but the final resolution was a crappy bit of deus ex machina.

  10. #10
    Genesis of A Nemesis KOSLOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,418

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Wonder Women
    I don't think it was ruined but it definitely took what could have been a five-star movie to a low four.
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Captain America, X-Men, New Mutants.
    DC Comics: The Green Lantern, Legion of Super-Heroes, Far Sector.

  11. #11
    Genesis of A Nemesis KOSLOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,418

    Default

    The Dark Knight.
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Black Panther, Captain America, X-Men, New Mutants.
    DC Comics: The Green Lantern, Legion of Super-Heroes, Far Sector.

  12. #12
    Spectacular Member ERON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Last Action Hero. All the momentum grinds to a halt once they get into the "real world."

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Raiders of the Lost Ark had a good third act overall, but the final resolution was a crappy bit of deus ex machina.
    You are making a joke, right?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,716

    Default

    Ang Lee's Hulk, it was pretty good right up to the final fight with Absorbing Man. The battle in the desert was particularly good and very "Trimpe".
    But a fight underwater, at night, that most of the audience could not see or understand brought the whole movie down.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  15. #15
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    What are some movies that you like that you felt were derailed by their ending or final act?

    The idea for this thread came to me while watching the film, Collateral, by Michael Mann.

    The film started off great. The cinematography was incredible, the performances by Cruise, Foxx, and Ruffalo were phenomenal, and the movie delved deep into which each main character was coming from in a manner that I thought was profound.

    However, it all turns to shit during the third act, wherein ( spoilers) it is revealed that Foxx's previous client happens to be the next person Tom Cruise is assigned to kill. This revaluation has got to be one of the stupidest plot twists I have ever encountered in a movie.
    I actually liked Collateral.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •