Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kyle Rayner and the Source Wall and Snyder's current Justice League.

Okay. So way back in the New52, Kyle Rayner went beyond the Source Wall. This was back when the Lanterns were dealing with a dude called.....Relic, I think? I'll be honest I was barely reading the GL books by that point. But as far as I know, Relic was from the universe that existed before our own and Kyle never talked about what he saw beyond the Wall. And I think there was a miniseries where a bunch of Lanterns got tossed into that earlier universe too?

Putting that with the stuff Snyder is doing in Justice League, wouldn't that mean Relic was from the same universe as Perpetua, who belonged to the previous reality before the Source Wall divided the cosmos? And wouldn't that mean Kyle saw and/or experienced some of these hidden powers the League and Legion of Doom are chasing?

So I gotta ask; for those who paid more attention to the Lanterns back then and those paying more attention to the League right now.....do these two narratives line up at all? Does it fit? And if Kyle is the only person alive to have seen beyond the Wall, why the hell wasn't he called in by the League when this whole mess got started? Or did Snyder not read those GL stories either?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Okay. So way back in the New52, Kyle Rayner went beyond the Source Wall. This was back when the Lanterns were dealing with a dude called.....Relic, I think? I'll be honest I was barely reading the GL books by that point. But as far as I know, Relic was from the universe that existed before our own and Kyle never talked about what he saw beyond the Wall. And I think there was a miniseries where a bunch of Lanterns got tossed into that earlier universe too?

Putting that with the stuff Snyder is doing in Justice League, wouldn't that mean Relic was from the same universe as Perpetua, who belonged to the previous reality before the Source Wall divided the cosmos? And wouldn't that mean Kyle saw and/or experienced some of these hidden powers the League and Legion of Doom are chasing?

So I gotta ask; for those who paid more attention to the Lanterns back then and those paying more attention to the League right now.....do these two narratives line up at all? Does it fit? And if Kyle is the only person alive to have seen beyond the Wall, why the hell wasn't he called in by the League when this whole mess got started? Or did Snyder not read those GL stories either?
    Well all of that prior universe stuff never got mentioned once the story arc ended, other than references to needing to rebuilt the corp because of a lot lanterns not surviving.

Man, I completely forgot Relic was a thing. I guess the books did too .

BANNED

Of course not. Scott Snyder doesn't know what Relic is, and the people at DC probably don't, either. The editing and continuity has gotten really, really, REALLY bad these days. Nowadays, the only continuity that you can trust (and then not always even that) is the current run you are reading.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Of course not. Scott Snyder doesn't know what Relic is, and the people at DC probably don't, either. The editing and continuity has gotten really, really, REALLY bad these days. Nowadays, the only continuity that you can trust (and then not always even that) is the current run you are reading.
    The million dollar question...is that such a terrible thing?

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Probably depends who you ask .

Kyle going beyond the source wall still seems to be canon at least, not sure about anything else. He references it in Titans #31 and Mother Blood did so as well in Titans #34 (she says she needs his knowledge).

Snyder also brought up in an interview last year that his experience would play some kind of important role this year. He might've been referring to what Abnett is doing, but who knows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    You mean the state of affairs in general, or about the Relic thing specifically? Well, I'll answer both.

In general, it's bad. From what I've heard, editorial feels that anything five years ago or beyond is ancient history and the audience won't remember it. Thus, they don't bother with it, unless it's benchmark milestones for characters, like Superman dying. However, the way I see it is that DC is putting out product that makes it impossible to get really immersed in when they keep relaunching runs and everything previous is canonically questionable. They act like the audience has no attention span these days, but when you look at the huge amounts of people who obsess over the minutia of something like A Song of Ice and Fire, that's simply just not true. The problem is that DC does not put out content immersive and engaging enough to capture readers' imaginations like that. Honestly, I don't have a lot of faith that they will these days, because writers aren't going to give DC their best effort with all the creator owned options they have now. That, and many of the writers DC hires just aren't that talented or imaginative. It also doesn't help that DC puts out so much product (that's mostly bad to mediocre) that people can't hope to follow it all.

As for Relic specifically, in this case it's probably best that editorial doesn't reference the Robert Venditti stories that involved the "Emotional Reservoir," because they were poor stories and the concept was terrible.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 03-04-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

My guess would be that Kyle going beyond the Source Wall will be referenced because that's a pretty cool and unique idea, whereas Relic will be completely ignored along with dozens of other characters like Lord Malvolio or the Anti-Life Entity because few if anyone liked them to begin with.

This would be an example of continuity working well, by the way. Writers shouldn't be beholden to every single bad or unremarkable story written over the past 80+ years. They should do what writers have always done, ignore them unless referencing helps forward a current story.

There are dozens of in-story reasons for changes in continuity already, so nobody remembering that a particular story has many different explanations, be it a glowing blue nudist stealing time, a sociopathic Kryptonian manchild having a hissing fit inside the Source Wall, the Anti-Monitor collapsing the Multiverse into one universe or a wizard farting.

Suffice it say, if the explanations for continuity changes matter to you, they are there. And if a D-list baddie like Relic not being mentioned ever again is something that troubles you greatly, I would suggest you put your comics down for a little while and take a walk until you gain some perspective on what's really important in your life

Oh, my priorities are all about the D-list villains no one remembers or cared about. Nothing is more important to me! (joking, if it wasn't clear lol )

What got me thinking about this, honestly, was Perpetua. I missed an issue or two back over the holidays so I'm not sure what has been established about her and her world. Which made me think of Relic and the clues that *might* be found there, if Snyder is working that stuff into his story and not just straight-up ignoring it. I was also wondering if the Relic stuff might have provided an inspiration for another hidden power, in much the same way that Snyder retroactively added the still force via the Turtle.

And Kyle.....well, he's the only person who has seen what's beyond the Wall. Seems like the League would have wanted to involve him. I suppose now that the Wall is gone it doesn't matter, but Kyle had intel the League could have used, the whole story wasn't *that* long ago, and considering how rarely anyone ever goes beyond the Wall (I think its only Kyle?) it seems kind of a glaring omission in Snyder's research if he just ignores it.

If he does, whatever. I didn't need Kyle to be a super special snowflake in the first place and didnt care for what little of the Relic stuff I did read. But its always nice to see things tie together.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Is that a bad thing?

Mighty Member

But there seems to be so much tied into GLC stories of the last 5 years or so that ends up being forgotten. So...what exactly happened with younger Krona in the previous universe with Relic? How does the previous universe tie into COIE? The totally irreconcilable stories about Sinestro both with regards to his weak but not dying status to suddenly on death's door to dead and then....umm he's alive? In his old costume?

Kyle was with the League investigating the source wall. He's next to Starman in the picture below.

https://insidepulse.com/wp-content/u...spoilers-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Is that a bad thing?
    Probably not. Those stories were likely all forgettable, since everyone seems to have forgotten them. And the quality of the story in my hands today is more important than what happened five years ago.

But it's still the continuity and when possible I'd rather *some* degree of consistency exist. And even if those GL stories were bad, that doesn't mean they couldn't be accounted for, or even used to springboard into good ideas. Kyle saw beyond the Wall, but he never said what he saw? Great! Snyder could use Kyle as a exposition machine and explain stuff to everyone. Relic came from the previous universe? Well, that was probably a big place so if Snyder name-dropped that, would it really prevent him from doing his own thing? I mean, has what happens to Almerac ever had an impact on the Spider Guild or Tamaran or Rann? And I didn't read most of the Relic story but surely there was some concept in all that nonsense that was worth holding onto and expanding on?

I just find it weird that Snyder is pulling from every corner of the DCU, but isn't touching anything that actually dealt with the exact subject he's writing about (what's beyond the Wall).

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    Kyle was with the League investigating the source wall. He's next to Starman in the picture below.

https://insidepulse.com/wp-content/u...spoilers-1.jpg
    That must be the new issue right? About time Kyle got in on the action. I wonder if he'll get any decent panel time, and if any of his dynamics with the League will still be intact. He *was* a Leaguer for quite a while after all, even in the condensed timeline of New52-Rebirth you'd expect *something* right?

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That must be the new issue right? About time Kyle got in on the action. I wonder if he'll get any decent panel time, and if any of his dynamics with the League will still be intact. He *was* a Leaguer for quite a while after all, even in the condensed timeline of New52-Rebirth you'd expect *something* right?
    This is from the JL Annual back in January. He was there as a Titan member (since the solicit stating him to be one) and probably because he had been helping hold the source wall together with other members of the GLC prior to joining the Titans. Nothing really significant happened with him. Everyone there helped execute the plan to repair the source wall (which failed).
    Last edited by Lirica; 03-05-2019 at 10:58 PM. Reason: grammar