View Poll Results: You in for the Spider-Family-Man?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, bring on the Spider-Dad!

35 57.38%
  • No, don't want any Spider-Kid!

26 42.62%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Not a bad thing.
    The new Ms Marvel, Runaways, Ironheart, Young Avengers etc. were created specifically to give the teenage market characters they can directly relate to.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Or they can demand mainline comics move with the times and cease being encased in amber. 'Least sales stagnate across the industr.....ooh, wait that's happening.
    One problem with trying to make current comic book stories not be taking place within a "sliding time scale" is that comic book stories are not printed on a daily basis.

Stories that take six months for us to get through (due to when they are published) may only happen within a couple of days. A year's worth of issues may barely cover half of a month from the character's own time.

A baby could add to Pete's power set. He could put them in a costume and then just chuck them at enemies with all his Spider-strength. The child will be fine because of their powers. The name for this football of justice? The Spectacular Yet Often Smelly Spider-Spawn.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    One problem with trying to make current comic book stories not be taking place within a "sliding time scale" is that comic book stories are not printed on a daily basis.

Stories that take six months for us to get through (due to when they are published) may only happen within a couple of days. A year's worth of issues may barely cover half of a month from the character's own time.
    Days? More like hours. They’re worse than manga in that regard.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

This is true. Even back in the '60s, the tablet saga went on for around 8 months or so, and only covered maybe two days of Peter Parker's life. During the peak of Kirby & Lee's Fantastic Four, one story would run directly into the next, with a multi-part Inhumans story ending halfway through an issue and immediately leading into the original Galactus story.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    And the older the kid gets, the older the rest of the Marvel Universe would become. Even having a 4 year old kid would push Ms Marvel into her 20s.
    I've brought up this very point regarding Miles and the rest of the current Teen Scene. If these characters get much older out of necessity Peter has to get older by an equal amount along with everyone else in 616 Marvel Comics. Those in Charge of Marvel have painted themselves into quite the corner if they ever try to introduce younger characters later on.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-07-2019 at 05:21 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I've brought up this very point regarding Miles and the rest of the current Teen Scene. If these characters get much older out of necessity Peter has to get older by an equal amount along with everyone else in 616 Marvel Comics. Those in Charge of Marvel have painted themselves into quite the corner if they ever try to introduce younger characters later on.
    Characters like the New Mutants and New Warriors aren't that much older than the current teen heroes, so introducing a new "wave" of young characters doesn't require bumping the old ones up by much.

Jesus, no. There's plenty of superpowered fathers in the MCU already. Give Mister Fantastic some love or something.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Jesus, no. There's plenty of superpowered fathers in the MCU already. Give Mister Fantastic some love or something.
    I think you mean the MU. And no there aren't plenty. There's Luke Cage, Mister Fantastic and that's it. At least in so far as we are considering good dads.

You do have Hank Pym who was estranged from Nadia so he's a "deadbeat" technically, although in that instance it really wasn't his fault compared to everything. Wolverine murdered some of his evil kids.

And I don't think just because there are other examples, why Spider-Man can't be a Dad, because this is about wanting to see Peter Parker as a Dad, and not wanting a superhero Dad story.

Reed Richards and Sue Storm are not an acceptable substitute for Peter/MJ contrary to what others say. For one thing Reed and Sue have always been the blandest members of the Fantastic Four with maybe one or two exceptions. Had there been no Thing and no Johnny Storm, they never would have gotten anywhere.

The question is, is it in character for Peter to want to get married? The answer is yes, he has always been "the marrying kind" and "the forever guy". He thought about marrying Betty Brant, then Gwen, proposed to MJ, pictured a future with Felicia, and so on. Does Peter want children, yes?

So readers have every right to want to see the character in that state, because it absolutely is inherent in the story and condition, and expected since Peter is the guy who grows up and grew up. The great thing about Peter and MJ is that they are the only superhero/civilian romance and marriage in the Marvel Universe where everything else is between supers. We got to see them before the marriage, during the marriage and we could see, theoretically, Peter and MJ in the process of becoming parents and so on. That's unique and not common to other heroes.

Mister Fantastic, Hulk, Luke Cage, Ares, Captain America, Wolverine, Deadpool, Ant-Man, Hank Pym, Colossus, Cyclops, Drax, Quicksilver, Black Bolt, Karnak, Gorgon, and Cannonball are all dads.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Mister Fantastic, Hulk, Luke Cage, Ares, Captain America, Wolverine, Deadpool, Ant-Man, Hank Pym, Colossus, Cyclops, Drax, Quicksilver, Black Bolt, Karnak, Gorgon, and Cannonball are all dads.
    Only a few of them are actually shown raising children. Most of them even had their children’s ages raised by the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Only a few of them are actually shown raising children. Most of them even had their children’s ages raised by the plot.
    Most of their children have been written out of their active lives. I wonder why that is.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Most of their children have been written out of their active lives. I wonder why that is.
    That’s kinda the point. They’re only dads on paper. We want to see a hero actually be a dad like Luke does.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Baby May lives!!!
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    So readers have every right to want to see the character in that state, because it absolutely is inherent in the story and condition, and expected since Peter is the guy who grows up and grew up.
    That doesn't take younger readers and future generations into account.

Where does it stop? Does the baby became a toddler? A grade schooler? A teenager? An adult? Does Peter become a pensioner?