View Poll Results: You want a Wonder Mom?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, give me the Wonder Mom!

12 57.14%
  • No, I'll pass on any Wonder Kid thanks!

9 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman - Wonder Mom

Out of a discussion from the Superman forum comes this thought and question - Would you be okay if main continuity Wonder Woman became a mother? No discussion on who the father should be or whatever, just would you be fine if they made Wonder Woman a mother? After all, currently Diana is the only one of the trinity not a parent. Bruce has Damian, Clark has Jon, should Wondie have a son or daughter too?

I don't know with how DC treats her right now that kid would not written in well.

I'm leaning towards no. I just don't see how the idea could work in the main continuity.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-04-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Main continuity, nah.

If a new take on the classic Earth-2 gets resurrected again, absolutely.

Incredible Member

I'm not opposed to the idea, but I just don't see DC Comics handling it well.

If they could somehow get through the pregnancy storyline and almost jump straight into Diana as a mother, with her child being cared for by Steve Trevor and the Amazons on Themyscira where the child will not be threatened by any evil doers, but can be visited daily by Diana, it could be somewhat interesting. But, "babies" aren't exactly interesting comic book characters, so I'd expect to see the child rapidly aged, kidnapped, brainwashed, magicked to a parallel dimension, adopted in secrecy or subject to some other storytelling trope which I'd prefer the Wonder Woman title to avoid. It's hard to think of "comic book" action / adventure / fantasy stories which wouldn't result in Diana looking like a "bad mother" in some way, shape or form.

As others have mentioned, I'm definitely interested in seeing the idea carefully explored in an Elseworlds title. But, I'm not sure it would work in main continuity.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Make Babies from Clay or adopt orphans

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I think it ultimately represents their inability to settle on what should be a normal status quo for Wonder Woman.

I'd read it, so I voted yes, but I'm not as emphatic about the idea as the poll dictated. Consider me more interested in an elseworlds exploration than main continuity, but I won't rule it out eventually and with the right creative team. My primary concern is there's this feeling among someone with clout at DC that Diana and the Amazons should be terrible parents and preach misandry, which I genuinely don't understand. While I don't see Diana being Martha Kent, I imagine she'd be a great mom and among the better showings in the DCU.

As for the idea of "should she have a boy or girl," obviously a boy makes an interesting twist on Themyscira's culture, but I'd be far more interested in her having twins; one of each. She could keep up with two kids, and for what it's worth, I imagine Steve would be someone who could actually handle taking care of the kids while she's busy doing superheroics, diplomacy or what have you. If you're going to do it then absolutely don't follow traditional family models. Twins who don't really terrorize each other in that '50s sitcom way but are more partners-in-crime that cause some mischief, Steve (or her current love interest) having their own things to do but taking the kids when needed since Diana's tasks are clearly more pressing, and obviously Diana as the head of her household. Play it up similar to how Johns opened Aquaman where you embrace what others might ridicule and reinforce your belief on the matter. Use the idea of her having kids or some sort of family unit (not saying married, they could very well be adopted via clay births and her partner is raising them with her) to tell stories that fit her underlying themes.

If it's just going to be some gimmick because they're out of ideas like Catwoman or Power Girl's baby, hard pass.

Pretty much agree with Robanker. I can see it working as a storyline, but doing it well (and how it's been done with Superman and Batman is not doing it well to me) is outside of the current storytelling culture at DC.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Amazing Member

I would like see Diana's daughter, who can be one company with Jonatan and Damien.

I voted yes, but I'd prefer more time for Steve to be cemented back in before them getting married and having kids (adopted or otherwise).

Nah. They should have her build a closer relationship with Donna and Cassie first, before they consider introducing a child (if Diana had a girl, they'd almost certainly be a new Wonder Girl - use the existing ones!).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Make Babies from Clay or adopt orphans
    This.

I like the idea of her being with Bruce and she ends up adopting Damien.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Yes, please. If Clark and Bruce can have children, WW should be able to, too.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Main continuity, nah.

If a new take on the classic Earth-2 gets resurrected again, absolutely.
    Yeah, I am with WonderScott.

I wouldn't have an issue with it but it should be done because it can make for an interesting story not because you're playing catch up with Superman and Batman.