Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Detective 1000

Default Detective 1000

In looking around at this, from what I'm gathering its gonna be 10 bucks. And, all and all, SHOULD be worth it, for this milestone acheivement in comic medium. Has anyone got any "insides" as to what to expect and how IN-DEPTH the stories will be?

I, for one am looking forward to it, and hope the hype is true to the issue. What are everyone's thoughts on 'Tec 1000? What do you wish to see?
    Anyhting specific?

I'm looking for the old, the current, the new. I really hope ALL of the Bat FAMILY ARE THERE, somewhere. AND I want a good, DETECTIVE story, a who-dun-it, like we've never seen before...

Thoughts...

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

The stories are all about 6-8 pages long, so they're not going to be epics. Just quick and hopefully hard-hitting shorts about Batman.

I'm very excited for almost every story, either for art or for writing.

I already know my favorites are going to be there (in the Fabok spread and the King story) - who specifically are you hoping to see who you don't know is going to appear?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I still haven't decided if I'll bother buying it . . . sounds less and less likely they'll have anything I really want anymore regarding Batman (unfortunately).

Your negativity is annoying Majorhoy

This issue has literally every awesome creator and artist you could think of, yet its not for you? Ok GTFO

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I still haven't decided if I'll bother buying it . . . sounds less and less likely they'll have anything I really want anymore regarding Batman (unfortunately).
    Not even the O'Neil and Priest stories?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

O'Neail, Priest, Dini, I'm really looking forward to all their stories. And the one about the night Dick officially became Robin, I think that one's Tynion. Pretty excited to get art from Neal Adams, Kelley Jones, and Capullo.

Really looking forward to the Tomasi/Mahnke story, I'm planning on picking up Tek again with this issue since it's the start of a new arc with the Arkham Knight.

Sorry, but I liked Batman when he was actually a detective who didn't rely solely on his high-tech gizmos and yet was still clueless almost all the time.

I was hoping they might celebrate that aspect with issue #1000, but it sounds like they aren't really going back to that, and quite a few of the writers listed I don't really have much interest in.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Not even the O'Neil and Priest stories?
    I haven't read much Priest, and what I had looked through didn't necessarily interest me enough to try anything else. As for O'Neil, I hate to say it but I just don't know how good his writing would be these days.

The stories are all about 6-8 pages long, so they're not going to be epics. Just quick and hopefully hard-hitting shorts about Batman.

I'm very excited for almost every story, either for art or for writing.

I already know my favorites are going to be there (in the Fabok spread and the King story) - who specifically are you hoping to see who you don't know is going to appear?
    Well, actually, I'd LOVE to have just a 25-30 pager about a GREAT D E T E C T I V E Story, one involving Killer Croc. I think he's a great character, and not used to his potential. A story that gets back to his roots like MajorHoy said. It would be a welcome change for me. But we'll see I guess... I'm DEFINITELY picking this one up!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Sorry, but I liked Batman when he was actually a detective who didn't rely solely on his high-tech gizmos and yet was still clueless almost all the time.

I was hoping they might celebrate that aspect with issue #1000, but it sounds like they aren't really going back to that, and quite a few of the writers listed I don't really have much interest in.
    I haven't read much Priest, and what I had looked through didn't necessarily interest me enough to try anything else. As for O'Neil, I hate to say it but I just don't know how good his writing would be these days.
    These days, the construction of a good detective story is pretty weak. It's not that it's necessarily harder than other genres, but it is a specific skill, and I don't think many writers have practiced it in comics lately.

Well, we shall have to see how Priest does. He's my current favorite writer in comics, so I'm really excited to see what he does with Batman, especially after Deathstroke vs. Batman (which I thought was brilliant and hilarious).

The short story O'Neil did with Epting in the Holiday Special two years ago was pretty good, so I think they'll do a good job together again.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman1970 View Post
    Well, actually, I'd LOVE to have just a 25-30 pager about a GREAT D E T E C T I V E Story, one involving Killer Croc. I think he's a great character, and not used to his potential. A story that gets back to his roots like MajorHoy said. It would be a welcome change for me. But we'll see I guess... I'm DEFINITELY picking this one up!
    I have to scratch my head on that, since Killer Croc's not really the type of character who really calls for a detective - not much of a planner or subtle, that one. Not that there's not great stories with him...but more action/hunting/man vs. beast stories, not "figure out the clues of a very puzzling crime" detective stories.

These days, the construction of a good detective story is pretty weak. It's not that it's necessarily harder than other genres, but it is a specific skill, and I don't think many writers have practiced it in comics lately.

Well, we shall have to see how Priest does. He's my current favorite writer in comics, so I'm really excited to see what he does with Batman, especially after Deathstroke vs. Batman (which I thought was brilliant and hilarious).

The short story O'Neil did with Epting in the Holiday Special two years ago was pretty good, so I think they'll do a good job together again.

I have to scratch my head on that, since Killer Croc's not really the type of character who really calls for a detective - not much of a planner or subtle, that one. Not that there's not great stories with him...but more action/hunting/man vs. beast stories, not "figure out the clues of a very puzzling crime" detective stories.
    Well said.

Sad thing is, as you said, the "Detective" story is a lost art. IT NEEDS TO RETURN.

I don't even need a "good detective story" these days as much as I want to see Batman using his own brains to figure out the clues!

. . . I have to scratch my head on that, since Killer Croc's not really the type of character who really calls for a detective - not much of a planner or subtle, that one. Not that there's not great stories with him...but more action/hunting/man vs. beast stories, not "figure out the clues of a very puzzling crime" detective stories.
    The introduction of Killer Croc did show him more in the crime boss mode than the savage, somewhat brainless man-creature he's been turned to as time went on. (For those who weren't aware of Croc's original story, it was because of him that Jason's parents were killed and that Jason eventually became Dick's replacement before Dick had decided to become Nightwing.)

I'm happily looking forward to this. I am not a Batman fan, though. In fact the last couple of batman series I followed were Legends of the Dark Knight and the Black and White back-up stories. The concepts of great creators handling a single story and then someone else having a crack at it is what I prefer for my Batman. I will be like a kid in the cereal aisle, unable to select a cover design though.

I'm looking forward to this even though it's lacking some still active creators that did meaningful work on Detective.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I'm looking forward to this even though it's lacking some still active creators that did meaningful work on Detective.
    Who would you include?

Let's see who's on board for #1000:
    * Medieval,” by Peter J. Tomasi and Doug Mahnke
    * “Batman’s Longest Case,” by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
    * “Manufacture for Use,” by Kevin Smith and Jim Lee
    * “The Legend of Knute Brody” by Paul Dini, Dustin Nguyen, Derek Fridolfs and John Kalisz
    * “The Batman’s Design” by Warren Ellis and Becky Cloonan
    * “Return to Crime Alley” by Denny O’Neil and Steve Epting
    * “Heretic” by Christopher Priest and Neal Adams
    * “I Know” by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev
    * “The Last Crime in Gotham” by Geoff Johns and Kelley Jones
    * “The Precedent” by James Tynion IV and Alvaro Martinez
    * “Batman’s Greatest Case” by Tom King, Tony Daniel and Joëlle Jones
    above information from https://previewsworld.com/Article/22...ve-Comics-1000

I would have liked to have seen John Layman; Francis Manapul and/or Brian Buccellato; and Greg Rucka (among others), though I don't know if any of them were approached / would have been willing to contribute.